Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: July 17, 2016 03:21PM

Tapir Dan has rushed to explain that Bushman didn't mean what he said. He meant something else that is entirely faith promoting. Whenever statements from Jesus, Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, et al are brought into question because they seem to contradict what Mormons want to believe, it is explained that "they didn't mean what they said," then proceed to interpret what they REALLY meant as if in the possession of superior insight. Why is this always a problem. If they don't mean what they say, why can't they just say it the way they mean it the first time and avoid all the confusion. I need a drink.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 17, 2016 03:29PM

Well, he quotes Bushman at great length, so I wouldn't call it Daniel's thoughts, but Bushman's thoughts instead. And IMO anyone who thinks that Bushman is backpedaling on his Mormon belief is mistaken. Bushman made his peace with the historical issues a long time ago, and now he is simply stating that the church as a whole needs to do the same. Whether he is correct about that or not is anyone's guess.

Posted by: Shinehahbeam ( )
Date: July 18, 2016 11:48AM

Do you know Bushman? It sure doesn't seem like he made peace with all of this stuff years ago. Just last year he said he's still looking for answers...trying to explain how whole sections of 19th century sermons found their way into the Book of Mormon:

http://www.wheatandtares.org/17915/richard-bushman-on-mormonism/

It seems like he's a Christian that believes TSCC is as good a church as any. Seems like he knows the "church" is not what it claims, but he has nowhere else to go.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: July 18, 2016 11:58AM

I don't see any back pedaling, I see Bushman and Tapir Dan as pedaling ever forward, but, they have turned the handle bars all the way to the right so that they are just going in circles. TBMs only see that as still a good ride.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 17, 2016 03:37PM

Yeah, funny how the prophets and GAs had so little inspiration. Good thing they have "He was speaking as a man" to explain it all!

I think the church will eventually just say, "So what. That was a long time ago. Mormons believe and do what they want." Seems to work for other religions. Just give them time.

Religions don't have any accountability for all the things they got wrong. They don't refund money. They don't pay damages. They just make excuses and continue along with their business fraud model as usual. There's a sucker born every minute who will buy it and defend it to all ends to protect their investment.

Posted by: orthus ( )
Date: July 17, 2016 04:40PM

f*$@ Dan Peterson and the horse (er, I mean tapir) he rode in on.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: July 18, 2016 10:45AM

I thought it was interesting that Bushman thanked Peterson for "rescuing" him.

Also, when I read again the reply Bushman gave, there is no testimony in it. He even said that JS was "sincere in saying he saw God."

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2016/07/richard-bushman-and-the-fundamental-claims-of-mormonism.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2016 10:46AM by liesarenotuseful.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: July 18, 2016 10:56AM

I know I should be over it, but it still makes me angry. To imply that the church is recently finding out this stuff, so they are adjusting the orthodox narrative ("because it isn't true"). At the same time they are bashing the members who are just finding out because it's not new information and we should have known if we had studied enough.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: July 18, 2016 11:44AM

Bushman and Tapir Dan are just stroking each other. Both have that maddeningly obvious but dishonest knack of shoving words in everyone mouths.

Then they give each other a pat on the back "Thanks bro! I had not sprayed enough ether in that area of my gas-lighting works"

Truly honest men cannot even begin to associate with the likes of these two. I should include Brian Hales in that list.

Yes, you too Brian.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: July 19, 2016 04:45AM

MORmONISM looks a lot better despite it being a pile of absolutely unjustifiable GARBAGE when a person gets a big fat paycheck for making excuses for it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.