Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: July 18, 2016 11:22AM

Last night my TBM wife was going on (again) about how the church teaches that in the latter days "right will be wrong and wrong will be right." She then listed off a score of examples from contemporary society to make her point. I agree with many of her points, but I won't list them here since many are political in nature and are not relevant to the point I'm making here and last night.

The point I made last night is that history is replete with examples of people bemoaning the inversion of what they considered to be "right" and "wrong", and that those clearly weren't the "latter days" since we are still here millenia later.

If you applied this "right will be wrong and wrong will be right" standard to the bible, we should have had the latter days in both the old and the new testament.

I have a general sense of historical trends, themes, and events, but am a little weak on specifics. Considering the eclectic backgrounds and interests of those who frequent this board, I would appreciate any specific examples throughout history where "right was made wrong and wrong was made right."

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: July 18, 2016 11:29AM

My judgment circuits are fried from Mormon recovery, but I think Joseph's adultery being of the Lord and calling the Q15 out on lies being bad are two examples.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 18, 2016 11:37AM

I'd put the Catholic church imprisoning, torturing, and murdering tens of thousands (if not more) suspected "witches", contrary to "love your neighbor" and "thou shalt not kill" near the top of my list. And that was all 800-500 years ago.

Posted by: not logged in ( )
Date: July 18, 2016 11:51AM

The problem is, "right" and "wrong" are so subjective that virtually any event can be used to make that argument.

From England's perspective, the American Revolution was "right will be wrong and wrong will be right."

To Louis XVI, the French Revolution was "right will be wrong and wrong will be right."

To the medieval Catholic Church, the Protestant Reformation was "right will be wrong and wrong will be right."

For any change in society, anywhere, anytime, defenders of the "old order" can make that claim. For proponents of the "new order," the reverse is true: that "right" and "wrong" were inverted before, and are only now being brought into harmony.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 18, 2016 01:01PM

True. Pagan sex cults would regard Joseph as a saint.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: July 18, 2016 12:07PM

Right will be wrong and wrong will be right is the way TBMs feel when a more enlightened and empathetic society moves on and leaves them in the dust with their stunted thinking.

Right and wrong are subjective, and much like science, every time a new truth is found, and old one should be abandoned. But Mormons cling to their stale stance and that is why BKP finally put words to it, "Sometimes the truth is not very useful . . ."

Lies apparently are very useful to the Mormons.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: July 18, 2016 01:14PM

It is just a thought stopping phrase to encourage people to suppress their own judgement in favor of what an authority figure says. Control the narrative, sooth the cog dis of the masses when they see contradictory messages from other sources.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: July 18, 2016 06:42PM

Another early spelling error.

There are NO LATTER DAYS!

No SAINTS. Sorry.

KNOW Right and Left.

Posted by: siobhan ( )
Date: July 19, 2016 05:12AM

If there isn't already someone should open a coffee shop in Utah and call it Latte Day

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: July 19, 2016 10:00AM

I like it!

"Latte-day Scents"?

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: July 18, 2016 09:28PM

I haven't thought about this in years but off the top of my head I'll write down what I remember.

To get real specific here, the latter days have not technically happened. From the Old testament book of Daniel there is a time referred to as the "abomination of desolation". When an Anti-Christ is to sit on the throne of the Jewish temple (not a Mormon temple btw) as God, working mighty miracles (4 years?). In Mathew 24, it says "this generation shall not pass until all is fulfilled" So clearly there is a generation that is suppose to see all these terrible things found in Revelations (which have not happened). Those are the real "latter days."

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: July 19, 2016 08:28AM

My son's BF was on his mission and wrote a letter begging DS to hurry up and join the one true church because these are the end times and there wouldn't be many chances left to be saved.

DS wrote back that even at the ripe old age of twenty he figures he has survived at least six end of the world predictions (in addition to Y2K), so he liked his odds this time too. Love that kid.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: July 19, 2016 09:47AM

I don't know whether my wife is unique among Mormons, but she doesn't read much; and when she does, it is usually her scriptures, the Ensign, or something related to work.

Me; I read anything and everything...including my wife's scriptures, the Ensign, and the LDS site. Some of what I read is interesting, some not so much; but everything I read (history, fiction, news, journals, the RFM site, etc.) contributes to my sense of "how the world works."

So, when my wife lists off all of the examples that sets apart our time as "the end times", I am reminded of Tolstoy's "War and Peace", any of Shakespeare's tragedies, Gibbons' "The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire", the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"; and can't help but think we've already been there, done that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2016 09:48AM by surprenant.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: July 19, 2016 12:59PM

Great line, Suprenant!

"So, when my wife lists off all of the examples that sets apart our time as "the end times", I am reminded of Tolstoy's "War and Peace", any of Shakespeare's tragedies, Gibbons' "The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire", the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"; and can't help but think we've already been there, done that."

And so so true!

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: July 19, 2016 11:36AM

Scare tactic#1!

Make then fear for tomorrow!!

It COULD BE Hell!

HellO

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: July 19, 2016 03:06PM

The whole "Latter-day" title kinda gets thrown under the bus when a man "chosen of God says, at General Conference: " Sometimes you might be tempted to think as I did from time to time in my youth: “The way things are going, the world’s going to be over with. The end of the world is going to come before I get to where I should be.” Not so! You can look forward to doing it right—getting married, having a family, seeing your children and grandchildren, maybe even great-grandchildren."

Can't they even get the name of their church right>?>?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.