Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pop Shot ( )
Date: July 22, 2016 02:31AM

Just curious, there are several members whom I assume were prominent at the time interviewed, a mission president, a bishop some others. Does anyone know if they received any backlash just for being interviewed without knowing what it was truly meant for?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: July 22, 2016 09:15AM

They were probably promoted.

I believe the God Makers was a covert operation by the church to convince the membership that the God Makers was representative of all criticism of the church, so upon seeing it they could conclude, "oh, well there's nothing to see there, then."

I think the God Makers did more to reinforce mormon beliefs than anything...

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: July 22, 2016 10:20AM

I was very TBM when I saw it (30+ years ago). I remember thinking as I walked out "if this is the best they can do, the church must be true."

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: July 22, 2016 10:13AM

Ed Decker, Hehehehe

Gordy Hinkley, Hehehehe

Mormons, Wait! What?

Exmormons, Wait! What?

Evangelicals, Oh, Mormons are real bastards. I told you so.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: July 22, 2016 11:27AM

I, too, was TBM when TGM came out. The National Council of Churches issued a statement condemning it as inaccurate and hateful. That was good enough for me. So I never saw the movie. I'm assuming there were inaccuracies and hyperbole galore in it. Boner.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: July 22, 2016 04:02PM

Really? Wow. The cult isn't even a member of that organization, & the NCC still issued something like that?

Date: July 22, 2016 04:04PM

Wrong place

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2016 04:04PM by Tristan.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: July 22, 2016 11:32AM

The Godmakers was to evangelizing Mormons what The National Enquirer is to journalism

Posted by: Britboy ( )
Date: July 22, 2016 11:35AM

At the time the church in Britain issued a letter explaining that the makers of the film decieved them about who they were! The Godmakers used a front organisation to make the film. So basically the church said the poor church leaders and members were decieved by cunning agents of satan, so ignore the film!

Date: July 22, 2016 01:33PM

That's kinda what I figured.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: July 22, 2016 12:53PM

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: July 22, 2016 02:51PM

Eric K. "showed Ed Decker the door," and told him he wasn't welcome here.

Decker retaliated by registering the domain name "exmormon.com" and it operated for awhile (although it's moribund now).

As a number of posters above noted, Decker kept them in the church longer than they might have otherwise. My good friend, Jesus Smith, said the same thing...

Date: July 22, 2016 03:08PM

The first movie was released in 82 or 83 so I doubt it, although the second one came out in the mid 90's, maybe that is the one that caused what you're referring to.

Date: July 22, 2016 04:05PM

Many cult members really assume that we are all followers of Ed Decker. Ugh…

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 22, 2016 03:29PM

I didn't see it when it first came out. And subsequently still haven't yet. Have no desire to now, but there are quite a few evangelical churches that still keep it in their library!

Was TBM when it was distributed in the early 1980's. We were told not to view it by our church leaders, so like the good little morgbot that I was, I didn't. Back then it hadn't yet occurred to me the church was a big fabrication of Joseph Smith's imagination.

I was as devout as most, and blindly obedient. Now the idea of viewing it just seems lame. I don't believe I've missed anything that hasn't previously been made available.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 22, 2016 08:26PM

I like the animated part with the council of the gods.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.