Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: downsouth ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 09:55PM

Went to temple square while on vaca in Utah with some inlaws. They are still very active and wanted to do a temple session there. My wife and I had lunch at the cafe there. Actually very good but we facetimed our daughter while eating outside. The volume was up pretty loud when my daughter cussed. We began to laugh and explained that she was on display for everyone around us to which she responded, "What? They don't say damn, shit and hell?" We laughed again but I'm not so sure the people around us appreciated the humor.
Again, we cited Kathleen Madigan's (sp?) mormon temple tour comedic stand up routine and I told my daughter I was going to give her email when the missionaries asked. ha

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 10:05PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jDfdJSO5po

For those who haven't heard Sister Madigan's mormon temple routine.

There is a YouTube video of this that starts right with the mormon part, but there's something in the URL that upsets things here. So there's a minute of Catholic bashing, too.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 10:12PM

Ecumenical bashing is good!

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 10:18PM

T.S.: One of the most BORING locations in the U.S.!

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 10:22PM

I agree, it might be the Mormon equivalent of the Vatican, but at least the Vatican has more interesting art. Also, the main building in the Vatican (St Peter's Basilica) is open to the public, even non-Catholics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2016 10:22PM by adoylelb.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: August 05, 2016 10:29AM

I even took a tour UNDER St Peter's Basilica in Rome. Had to sign up in advance but no one ever asked me for documentation of my religion or "worthiness", not even the Swiss guards who we had to check-in with to get to the tour start.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 05, 2016 11:22AM

Did you pay the $64?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 05, 2016 11:16AM

The Christian Science Center, the central world command Headquarters of this (ahem!) "international religion." The huge basilica church's balconies are always roped off, even at Christmas and Easter, the outermost pews likewise, and they keep removing pews from the very front and rear, so that people don't feel scattered far and wide in the huge facility. (This is what a political team does when they can't fill the facility up for the candidate.)

All the concrete buildings you see were built in anticipation of expanding the religion; they're all rented out (nice cash flow, I'm sure) and the church administrative apparatus is minuscule.

Any ex-Mos visiting Boston and interested in checking out a cult's withering away, use the admins to get in touch with me. I'm retired and love showing visitors around the city.

My link kicked back on posting. Search "Christian Science Center Boston," then hit "images," for a nice array of Boston's "little Vatican." Architecturally excellent--but dead, dead, DEAD!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2016 11:18AM by caffiend.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: August 04, 2016 10:27PM

Personally, I prefer Temple Square East--The Christian Science Mother Church and Plaza in Boston! There's this cool dome, fountains one can play in, and church offices that have been farmed out to NorthEastern University (CS membership is way down).

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 05, 2016 03:35AM

I've heard that they might eject anyone with coffee, short shorts, or a foul mouth.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 05, 2016 09:48AM

Cheryl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've heard that they might eject anyone with
> coffee, short shorts, or a foul mouth.

Damn, then I can't go there anymore at all! :)

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 05, 2016 10:05AM

that it is one of the last places on earth I would choose to go. But my nonmormon friends go there to see the flowers. I didn't realize when I worked with a bunch of nonmormons that it is a big joke for them to put in names of their friends for the missionaries.

My mother would actually go to SLC and temple square on Sundays when she and my dad would argue over him not going to church enough. And then we'd end up missing SM anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2016 10:06AM by cl2.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.