Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: August 06, 2016 02:53AM

what are they saying about members questioning church and/or leaving? How many? If it is occurring, how is it affecting the bishop...as in extra time required to deal with the member, are other members being influenced by the questioning member, are the bishop's beliefs being bothered?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2016 02:54AM by presleynfactsrock.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: August 06, 2016 05:53AM

On Rfm there are two former bishops who have left themselves. Perhaps there are other here but two I know for sure. I actually recall reading a post from a mission president's wife about they no longer believed. When I was in the bishopric our most time consuming item was welfare. That was rural South over five years ago. Things likely have changed. My current bishop doesn't talk to me so cannot relate. He knows very well my dissatisfaction with the church. My listening to missionary conversations at the local food bank where I work are certainly not about teaching potential members- they are decidedly involved in attempting to reactivate members. Is there a ground swell towards leaving? Perhaps but my best observation is that most members who leave don't officially resign. They just in fact leave and disassociate and that eventually creates an equal lack of interest in them by most bishoprics and EQ/RS just due to the numbers. Others have thoughts....???

Gatorman

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2016 06:42AM by gatorman.

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: August 06, 2016 11:55AM

I was a Bishop a dozen years ago. While it was different then (not the mass exodus we have been seeing in recent years), the inactivity rate was a big deal and I spent a great deal of time reaching out to those that had left or whose activity rate was falling. The church compiles a list of less active people and, often, SP will ask Bishops about this, specific individuals, contacts, success in bringing people back, etc. There is some pressure on Bishops to keep people active and to reach out to those that are not attending church. But, every Bishop is different (with their effort, their people skills, their caring, and overall commitment). Some of it is definitely influenced by the SP and his emphasis on various things.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.