Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sam ( )
Date: August 08, 2016 03:46PM

Just got back home after speaking at a friend's funeral service (he was not a Mormon). It was a very informal ceremony and a celebration of life. I was touched to be asked and I was touched by the love and closeness I felt. Life is tough some of the time but I can say that I appreciate being alive and having good health. I know Bob was very wise as we talked many times about life and what is most important. He told me many times that happiness and closeness to those that really care are the most important things in life. He went through so many challenges (health, job loss, two divorces, and the loss of a child along the way). He was wise and I appreciate his friendship over the years (especially over the past few years). I will miss talking with him but I am a better person because I knew him. He was not religious but he was spiritual. He was open minded, a common sense person, and respectful of all faiths. I envied him in one major respect--he was his own person, a free thinker, and not controlled by any cult.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 08, 2016 04:10PM

I'm sorry for your loss. Good friends are hard to find, and are to be treasured.
I hope you continue to remember how much he positively influenced your life. That's something we can all agree "persists" after we die.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 08, 2016 10:58PM

Sorry for the loss of your dear friend. You have honored his memory with your loving tribute.

Posted by: Anon K ( )
Date: August 08, 2016 11:30PM

That's great that you could go to his celebration. And that you spoke about him. Thanks for posting about him here too.

It's hard to say "goodbye". I'm sorry for your loss.

We lost a cousin on the 20th......He wasn't religious but he was a very loving kind and caring guy. He was also lots of fun.

We weren't able to be at his service. But we've been posting photos and memories on FB. We also sent a card.
His obituary was written by his daughter and ended with "Cheers".

The family requested casual attire....at a Unitarian church. And it appears there was a "tailgate" party after the service.
He would have loved that.

Cheers to your friend
Cheers to you
Cheers to our cousin
Cheers to us

Posted by: tenaciousd ( )
Date: August 09, 2016 12:21AM

When my Mormon convert brother died ten years ago I asked his TBM wife if I could speak for five minutes at his memorial service.

I have a Master's degree in Communications. I've written speeches for dozens of Congressional candidates.

Hell, I used to write for The Onion. (Everybody loves "Ship's Captain". The first openly gay racehorse.)

I was told my "words would not be appropriate at this time."

I despise TSCC.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 09, 2016 04:35AM

We were best friends for 55 years. We met in junior high and just clicked. Even though I left our home state of California at age 27, we always stayed in touch by letter, phone (though our first husbands always bitched about the phone bill, despite the fact that we both worked and had good incomes.) We ignored them.
In later years, we were blessed with the internet, and e-mailed each other almost daily.

I drove out to see her in the hospital. We were both aware that it would be our last visit, and yet, true to form, we never got maudlin about it. We remembered all the mischief we had gotten into over the years, the ups and downs, supporting each other through everything.

We were like Siamese twins, joined at the soul. She died in January of last year, but I still miss her every day, and stay in touch with her son. When he married his longtime girlfriend, I sent them a substantial monetary gift, and a separate one on his mom's behalf. He and his new bride were very touched by that.

If there is an afterlife, BFF will be the first person I will look for. Such a friendship is a lifelong blessing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.