Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thatsnotmyname ( )
Date: August 09, 2016 03:03PM

Facts do bring a lot of people to the realization of the true nature of TSCC. But many people won't listen. Because of their feelings. If we discussed how emotions, feelings, socialization and manipulation worked would it plant more seeds and help others make better decisions?

For those attempting to bridge a dialog with Mormons about their faith and it's alternatives - wouldn't it be better to share information about the nature of feelings, heartsell, cognitive dissonance...?

If someone had taught me as a child how emotions can be manipulated, how the Spirit tells people to join all sorts of different churches and asked me what I thought about that, how the missionaries try to tell you that when a certain principle resonates with you it must mean the place you learned that principle from must be true (and how that is a logical fallacy), I bet I wouldn't have joined.

If you are taught your whole life that your feelings trump facts and nobody every refutes that idea with you, they just throw facts at you instead, you may never open your eyes. If you learn the psychology behind emotional responses there might be a better chance.

Just thinking about that today.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: August 09, 2016 03:17PM

When the legend conflicts with the facts go with the legend.

You can garner up a lot more money that way

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: August 09, 2016 08:19PM

Different things "work" for different people.
There really isn't a "one size fits all" approach (though mormonism would like us to think there is, in everything!).

I was taught all my life, up to age 21, that my feelings trumped facts. But I 'opened my eyes' anyway. So I can testify (can I get an Amen?!) that works for some people.

Others might respond better to a more emotional approach.
Whatever works to get somebody out is great.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.