Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: August 10, 2016 08:53AM

...at least that's what this man claimed. I had let slip that I was leaving the religious scene and he said he, too, had realized that Mormonism was wrong... I thought we would have some common ground.

Nope.

He continued to explain that he believed the church had gone astray but that he believed the book of mormon and everything that Joseph taught. Then he announced his belief that Joseph never taught or practiced polygamy.
"Um... how do you figure that?" I asked. "There are plenty of period documents..."
"They were all written later than the fact," he said. "They only indicate polygamy if you try to twist them really hard. It's all retro-con. It was actually all Brigham Young."

What the heck? How does someone come up with that?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: westerly62 ( )
Date: August 10, 2016 09:00AM

He may be a fellow traveler with, or influenced by, Rock Waterman, et al.

http://puremormonism.blogspot.com/2010/06/why-im-abandoning-polygamy.html

Posted by: TheBishop'sDaughter ( )
Date: August 10, 2016 09:03AM

That's so odd because my good friend believes exactly the same thing! She and I stopped going fairly close to each other, but our beliefs are SO different. It makes talking about it really awkward. She thinks that Brigham young black mailed JS and hired the mob to kill him (insert eye roll here)...

Posted by: Anonculous ( )
Date: August 10, 2016 09:50AM

This was standard RLDS doctrine until they overhauled their church and changed it to Community of Christ. Someone else may be able to fill in the details...

Posted by: zoe ( )
Date: August 10, 2016 05:29PM

I told some mormon girl that I did not agree with polygamy and then she went on and said that they had to get married but didnt do anything sexual!!
Then, why would they get married? and she was all "to help out"

Omg, so naive.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 10, 2016 05:57PM

Amazing how they strain to explain away polygamy but swallow the book of mormon whole.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.