Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: August 09, 2016 10:54PM

and supposedly has several thousand RSVP's. Can anyone find the links and details about the event?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 09, 2016 11:12PM

https://www.facebook.com/events/718323218307581/

I was invited to give the opening prayer....

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 09, 2016 11:38PM

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: August 10, 2016 03:41PM

Are you going to be there, E.O.D? I might go just to say hello to you. Your posts are never less than entertaining!

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: August 10, 2016 04:32PM

You are in fact welcome to speak if you want. PM me!

Date: August 10, 2016 04:46PM

Hahahaha! Plus I can hear LaSaucie laughing, too!

I was just being silly... a mass resignation, but first properly fold your arms, bow your heads and close your eyes while Saucie picks your pockets!

I love these events. I love reality rubbing its troubling existence via cream pies into the face of stodgy mormonism. I love the furtive glances from mormons who sigh, and wish...

I watched a streaming video of the last event and hope that someone goes the periscope route, or FB live route and lets us know!

Date: August 10, 2016 04:48PM

We will be posting pictures and video. I'll try to drop around and post a link.

Date: August 10, 2016 04:46PM

Last year the attorney's office providing free representation to anyone wishing to resign processed over 6,000 resignations. To date, since beginning to offer free services last summer his count is over 11,500 resignations.

The "several thousand people" number is an estimate based on our experience holding this event since 2012. The Facebook page number is never accurate because, since it is a public page, clicking "going" means the event posts on your personal timeline and as you all know, a great many people are not wanting to be public with something like this.

Very few people are coming to the event as a public "fuck you" to the cult but are there to share support and to help process the powerful and difficult emotions of the process by connecting and sharing the pain and terror of such a huge decision.

We do not give a shit about the cult or about what they think of the event. We had 6,000 people last year and the D-News reported that "most were already inactive anyway". They are happy to make this significant but then are also happy to forget to point out that 2/3 of the 15 million members are "already inactive anyway" too.

This event is to support these courageous people. They deserve it. Please consider dropping by to help honor them.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 10, 2016 08:45PM

Wow I had just been wondering how many resignations there have been since the November onslaught. I resigned in November as
well but I did it through the church membership office. It only
took three days .

It makes me so happy to find out that there have even been

more than I had initially thought. Oh Yay!!!!!!!!! That is

wonderful news.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: August 09, 2016 11:29PM

As a church, you ought to see that there's a major problem when members want to PUBLICLY resign en-mass.

In most churches, you just stop going to one church and either show up at a new church soon thereafter, or maybe no church. But it's usually a rather quiet transition. The LDS Church, on the other hand, seems to aggravate or oppress its members so much that they want to publicly cast it off just to show everyone, and maybe themselves, that "The LDS Church is not the boss of me!"

Either that, or members are so accustomed to being around each other so many hours per week that they just get addicted to being in a group, and they even resign as a group. :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2016 11:29PM by seekyr.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 09, 2016 11:36PM

Facebook only has 95 going for sure, w/287 interested. Where's the link/s to show it's in the thousands?

It will be interesting to see how many really do show up.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: August 10, 2016 09:59PM

He is talking about the amount of people who resigned last November. There was a mass resignation last November which
I guess you didn't know about.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: August 10, 2016 04:22PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2016 04:50PM by Pista.

Date: August 10, 2016 04:51PM

gotta have the trickles before you can have the torrents. That's how I chose to look at it.

As a missionary I got to open two small towns, Silao and Lagos de Moreno. The hope was that we'd have a couple of converts (the trickle) and that in the future this base would be built on and it would become a torrent. I smiled and kept good eye contact as this vision was laid out for me. The second time I got this speech, my smile was a grin and they had to see the laughter in my eyes. Anyway, I like the notion of attacking a huge problem and only getting minimal initial success. I also done mind not getting ANY success, as long as I have food, books and a soft bed.

Posted by: anoninidaho ( )
Date: August 11, 2016 09:41PM

Topping

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.