Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sam ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 12:59PM

One of the things that opened my eyes about the church and made me question things was how openly private information (given to a Bishop or SP) was shared with others, including wives. I was once shared something very personal with a Bishop (very sensitive information) that I had never shared with anyone else. Well, a week later, I found out others knew about this, including the Bishop's wife. I was pissed.

When I served as a Bishop, the SP shared stuff with me from other units and very private information. It was information that should have never been shared with me.

In Ward Council meetings I have heard people discussed and information about those people that (I thought) was private. The Bishop and RS President shared this.

There is no excuse for this!! I can only imagine what has been said about me in these meetings--LOL.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: superdave ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 02:20PM

Growing up, I learned things about members of my family from friends in the ward. The ONLY way these things could have been known was if the bishop was sharing "confidential" information with others. It is complete bullshit. "Men of god" my ass.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 02:21PM

Confidential, to a mormon, means tell others with confidence.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 02:25PM

even as a TBM I was appalled at the confidences broken in Ward Council meetings.

I agree, it is despicable.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 02:29PM

is Standard Operating Procedure in most wards. Appalling, but there it is.

Posted by: Eric3 ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 02:30PM

"Lay Leadership: Volunteer Ministry of the Church" comes to mind. Volunteer sounds great. Untrained, unprofessional, uncredentialled, sounds less great.

In programs in pastoral care, e.g.:

http://www.seminarygradschool.com/article/Preparing-for-Pastoral-Care

http://www.ptsem.edu/Academic_Affairs/Academic_Departments/pt/default.aspx?id=4634

http://asburyseminary.edu/academics/degrees/certificates/pastoral-care

one of the things taught is confidentiality. But of course this is not required for leadership in TSSC. It is not a surprise that confidentiality is breached, and probably routinely.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 03:04PM

Bingo. The church gets what it pays for. And since it doesn't pay volunteers, it doesn't get much in the way of competence or accountability.

Posted by: borninfellout ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 02:34PM

akin to "military intelligence"

Loose lips sink ships

all the bishops I knew told their wives the dirty and it spread like wildfire through relief society..I t ruins families.

goes like this..

" I'm not supposed to tell you and keep it confidential.. My husband the bishop shared with me that brother Phil latio was having an affair"

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: August 12, 2016 02:49PM

Telling your neighborhood insurance salesman or small business owner, anything that you want kept private, is naive.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 13, 2016 12:14PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.