Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: TXRancher ( )
Date: August 14, 2016 09:20PM

OK, there's another thread here about this and I don't want to interrupt it...so here's my question:

I'm still a member of record. Divorced a year ago and my ex remarried a TBM in a civil ceremony. Can I--as a male--cancel our sealing? I'd rather beat her to the punch and end the myth before she asks for it to be canceled.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: August 14, 2016 09:48PM

From what I understand, a man can't actually cancel a sealing because that would leave his ex-wife without a saving ordinance.

A man can be sealed to more than one woman, so he can ask for a sealing clearance so that he could be sealed to a second wife. But it doesn't cancel his first sealing, so he'd still be sealed to the first wife too.

A woman can only be sealed to one man, so she can ask for a sealing cancellation so that she can be sealed to another man.

I could be wrong. But if things are the way I've learned it, you're probably out of luck.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 14, 2016 09:51PM

Do I have an Amen to that?

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: August 14, 2016 09:54PM

Is it like Judaism where a woman can request a religious divorce but her (ex)husband can deny it forever?

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: August 14, 2016 09:56PM

As a nevermo, I find this sealing stuff to be so laughable. One of the more ludicrous beliefs that make it so difficult for me to conceive how anyone can actually believe in all things Mormon.

Posted by: sbj ( )
Date: August 14, 2016 09:59PM

I was sealed to my first husband and later divorced. When I wanted to be sealed to my next husband , I had to write a letter to SLC and explain why I wanted the first one cancelled. They approved it.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: August 15, 2016 03:54PM

They approved sbj's cancellation, only because she had plans to be sealed to another LDS man in an LDS temple sealing.

The Mormon church NEVER approved my many requests for a cancellation of sealing; moreover, the leaders told me that my children (born many years later, fathered by my second husband) were officially sealed to my first, temple husband. My first husband beat and strangled me, and almost killed me, but no matter, the rules are the rules.

Trust me--the only way you can get your sealing to your wife cancelled, is to officially resign from the cult. Be sure to quote in your resignation letter the CHI: "All temple blessings and ordinances are null and void."

If you want to marry another Mormon woman in the temple, you can, for a price--10% of your income for 6 months. You first have to re-join the cult, pass the sacrament with the deacons, bless the sacrament with the priests, be ordained an Elder, then you're back in as a full-fledged tithe-paying Mormon for life. Just a little humiliation, and a lifetime of paying money and serving LDS, Inc for free.

I have actually known people who have done that! Crazy!

Date: August 14, 2016 11:14PM

That's what I was afraid of...this whole thing about being OK sealed to more than one wife. Damn I don't want to be sealed to her.

I'm waiting for that letter from the church. My response, thanks to this forum, lol, will be "I don't discuss personal matters with strangers" and imagine the look some old codger has when he/she reads it.

Posted by: runrunrun ( )
Date: August 14, 2016 11:33PM

why continue to be a member of record? Why help in perpetuating the lie? Family? Good grief - you don't have real family if you have to stay a member to please everyone else but yourself.

Date: August 14, 2016 11:50PM

I'm thinking of that. But I like the game...stay on the rolls, let them think I'll come back OR screw up their numbers. One more endowed member who doesn't have a temple recommend. They don't bother me and I think they are scared of me because I will tell them to F off.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 15, 2016 12:03AM

I agree with want2bx above. The sealing will only be cancelled when your ex requests it in order to acquire a new sealing to her TBM husband in the temple. It's interesting that she has not requested it as yet.

Posted by: tikbalang ( )
Date: August 15, 2016 07:25AM

I did it. The day my civil divorce papers were signed was the day I turned into my bishop the forms to have my sealing to her cancelled. At that time he told me I could not do that...I informed him then and several times after that as he drug his feet on sending the paper up the chain of command...that I was exercising what we all fought so hard for in the pre-existence and that was FREE AGENCY. It took several months and a couple nasty letters to the first presidency....but they finally acted on it and I got my sealing cancellation....that was about 8 years ago...then I resigned in 2013...but I had the cancellation done before that.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: August 15, 2016 11:02AM

tibalang did not have your typical Temple sealing cancellation.

Your ex will need to get permission from you to cancel the sealing if she wants to re-marry in the Temple.

That may be coming soon. Perhaps they were not presently worthy to head straight to the Temple in which case you would have been notified of the permission she needed.

You have power over her in this. Does it really matter? No. Because the "fairyhood" can and will overrule you if you said no.

Isn't it interesting that even after a divorce, in mormonism the man still has power over a woman.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: August 15, 2016 10:37PM

If you want to stay a member and cancel your sealing, just give your Bishop a choice. Tell him that he has to pick one. Either they cancel your sealing, or remove your name from the church records all-together. Pick a date and tell him that if your sealing isn't canceled by that date, that that's the day you'll give him your resignation letter.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 15, 2016 10:50PM

If the person making the time limit demand hasn't been paying tithing and hasn't been to Sac meeting to be counted, it's quite likely the bishop would chose to ignore the threat and accept the resignation letter. That's a win for him!

Not to mention something he can brag about when he gets together with the SP and/or other bishops. You know how guys like to brag! Bishops are probably no different.

ETA: whaddaya wanna bet they compare sex confessions, to see who has the most salacious!?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2016 10:51PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: tikbalang ( )
Date: August 16, 2016 04:45AM

In response to AMIDARKNOW..........

Letter dated Oct. 16,2009

Dear Bro Tikbalang:

In response to your petition, the temple sealing performed in the Salt Lake Temple on Aug. 16, 1974, between you and your former spouse (her name is then listed), has been canceled as of the date off this letter.

Sincerely,
Signed by Thomas S Monson, Henry B. Eyring and Deiter F. Uchtdorf

Now that is good enough for me and you can say what you want but is looks like my sealing was canceled....I was still a member in good standing at the time....my ex wife was still a member also....so there you have it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.