Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Loyalexmo ( )
Date: August 15, 2016 11:20AM

Oh god.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 15, 2016 12:13PM

I highly doubt that the supreme court would touch this. There's no real there, there.

Posted by: levantlurker ( )
Date: August 16, 2016 11:23AM

I'm confused. Is "consensual cohabitation" currently legal or illegal in Utah based on the latest court rulings?

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 16, 2016 12:04PM

Illegal but usually not enforced. They like to have that stick to keep the polygamists in line.

Posted by: allout ( )
Date: August 16, 2016 12:43PM

I think part of the reason why the TSCC fought gay marriage so hard was because they know that polygamy/polyamory type relationships are coming up next to be legalized. If they are legalized then the church would be put in a really tough spot when some fundamentalists would want to be in polygamy relationships, and there's still Section 132.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 16, 2016 01:40PM

If it becomes 'not illegal' to have one wife via a state marriage license and additional 'religious wives', then what part of New & Everlasting Covenant don't the afossils understand?

According to Wilford Woodruff, the need to end polygamy was because, “The Lord showed me by vision and revelation exactly what would take place if we did not stop this practice. All the temples [would] go out of our hands. (God) has told me exactly what to do, and what the result would be if we did not do it.”
--https://www.lds.org/topics/the-manifesto-and-the-end-of-plural-marriage?lang=eng

So the 'result' about which ghawd alerted Woody caused the saints to cease the practice. And obviously Plural Marriage is still a priesthood blessing, so absent the 'result', why would they not open the temples to Plural Marriage sealings?

That's the argument that is going to be made, and we all know how fickle ghawd is...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.