Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 18, 2016 04:59PM

wow, the author uses some interesting descriptions...I get the feeling he isn't all that happy about this building.

For example: "radical conservative upstart", "bold incursion into the hierachical fabric of Philedelphia" and "has planted its flag on the city's premier civic, cultural and religious space."

But this paragraph seems to be the most telling:

"...Mormon Temple, which will serve about 41,000 members in parts of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware and Maryland, stands virtually parallel to the chocolate-brown Cathedral Basilica of SS. Peter and Paul, which claims 1.4 million Catholic faithful in Philadelphia and the Pennsylvania suburbs. The temple is nearly equal in size to the cathedral, and its assertive architecture trumpets its ambition for all to see."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thatsnotmyname ( )
Date: August 18, 2016 05:16PM

Ah, Mormon temples with their nice big golden idols sitting on top for all to see...

I'm glad they put the blurb in about the Cathedral to show a comparison. Might make some people think.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: August 18, 2016 09:40PM

They should have given him abs and boxing gloves like the statue at the art museum.

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: August 18, 2016 08:46PM

I live in Philly. Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised that the temple fit in with the surrounding architecture, well until you look up and see the gaudy, gold, mass-produced Moroni.

The way I see it is now we have a location to protest when the church does another dumb-ass Prop 8 move (which they will).

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: August 18, 2016 09:05PM

Do tithes go toward Philly Jesus Stakes?

[rimshot!]

[wild applause!]

Oh thank you! Thankyouverymuch, yer too kind!

I'm here 'til Tuesday... Try the hoagies!...

Posted by: exmodaddy ( )
Date: August 19, 2016 01:17PM

"I'll have a Jeez Wiz Wit".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.