Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: August 26, 2016 03:42PM

I didn't even know that was possible until I just saw it with me own two eyes.

She was sealed to her first husband five years after they had a civil marriage, in 1886.

He passed away in 1889. She remarried in 1898 to another Mormon hunk, and had their marriage solemnized in 1924 in the Logan temple (both marriages were solemnized there actually.)

She didn't divorce husband #1 because she was widowed.

Apparently the church may have had differing standards then what was considered acceptable.

But I have never heard of this before today, that a woman could be sealed to more than one man at the same time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Miranda2 ( )
Date: August 26, 2016 04:00PM

I have a friend who had her mother sealed (after her death) to her first husband and 2nd husband. Both had died fairly early in life. She said it was then her mother's choice which one to choose. I never knew a woman could be sealed to two men either but it sounds like they have to choose one.

By the way her mother was not LDS. Her daughter had her baptized after her death and then sealed to the two men.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 26, 2016 07:15PM

My understanding is that when this happens, the expectation is that the woman gets to "choose" which one will be with. She does not get to be eternally boinking two men.

Whereas with males, the expectation is that they get to keep both women, not choose one. He will get to be boinking both.

The sealing of multiple men to a woman is supposed to give the perception of equality. However, if you press them, they do not believe there will be families where a wife gets to have multiple husbands in the CK.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: August 26, 2016 07:19PM

This is part of the Morg's "Seal them all and let God sort it
out" policy.

Date: August 26, 2016 07:38PM

I spoke to perhaps the last living granddaughter of my great grandmother earlier this evening, to see if she knows if the obituary was accurate (for 2nd husband.)

She said she wasn't sure! She grew up with these ancestors, and was 12 when my great grandmother died.

She knows great grandma's greatest love was her first husband. Her 2nd husband loved her dearly, but had to take that in stride, because she had a pretty high bar for him when they got married to follow.

They were sweethearts too. It was his making her laugh that won her heart. They were married for over 50 years.

She was lucky in love not once, but twice in her lifetime.

If there is life after death which I believe there is, the family circle will just be a little bit wider than it might've been with her first family. She had two sets of children, one with each man.

I wonder if there were laxer standards back then (almost 100 years ago,) than there are today ... regardless, my half-cousin didn't even know about it when I asked her today. She knows for a surety great grandma would not have had her temple sealing to her first husband annulled. She loved him too much to have done that.

Posted by: dejavue ( )
Date: August 26, 2016 08:09PM

My grand mother was also sealed to two men. My mothers father and my fathers brother. Both sealings done years after her passing but within a year of each other. What a fun up roar. :) (She had kids from both men)

Date: August 27, 2016 04:01AM

The relationship between mother's father, and father's brother sounds a tad on the incestuous side ... disturbing to say the least! Of course why would church endowments let a little thing like that stop them from multiple sealings?

:/

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: August 26, 2016 08:12PM

Well, Amyjo, it's obvious that your Great Grandmother was very valiant in the pre existence. Therefore, she, being a choice spirit, will be GIVEN to the most worthy of her two husbands, whether she likes him, or not! :-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2016 08:14PM by BYU Boner.

Date: August 27, 2016 04:08AM

Could be. Both men may be fighting over her still!

It took husband #2 5-6 years to win her affection. He won her over with humor. The other with brawn.

:)

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: August 26, 2016 08:35PM

I hate to throw flour on the fire when it's so confusing...but... My great-great grandfather was sealed to my great-great grandmother in the Sealing House in SLC. Then he died in 1895. The first proclamation on not practicing polygamy was done in 1890. Then after it was found out that some temples were still doing plural marriages, another proclamation by Joseph F. Smith was given in 1910. The 2nd proclamation has been taken out of the current D&C.

Now here's the kicker, I don't know if Joseph F. Smith was trying to clear up a bunch of polygamous marriages or what, but he cancelled the sealing of George Leavitt (dead in 1895) to my great-great Grandmother in 1911 (she died in 1914). No one told her or the family about this, it was only when doing genealogy that it came up. And sure enough, there it is cancelled sealing to her first husband George Leavitt, but she got sealed to another man. Seems she also thought she would be able to choose which sealing was a keeper after she died, or maybe they thought the first husband's kids would have to be sealed to his vows and covenants (Born in the covenant) and the next kids would have to be sealed to her second husband to also be born in the Covenant. Anyway, Joseph F. Smith went and cancelled a huge amount of sealings because of the Reed Smoot hearings in 1903 and the fact that many Mormons were still being polygamous. So to "correct" or cover up the whole mess, there's probably many cancellations that happened, that families and people never knew about... The reasoning is, "It'll be straightened out in the hereafter".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2016 08:37PM by dydimus.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: August 26, 2016 09:00PM

Fortunately, Mormonism is 'all' wrong about marriage and family in the 'in-between life'. Even Jebus got that one right 'no marriage in the next life'.

We (the part that survives death is eternal) are not male or female (we are not human but can appear as such to humans), but most have experienced both in past incarnations. No marriage, no family.

However, we do have 'soul groups' which are similar in some ways to 'families' who we normally reincarnate with based on past life experiences (my own and others).

Just in case anyone really wanted to know.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 26, 2016 09:10PM

There are also Soul Trains!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.