Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: September 17, 2016 11:02AM

According to NASA, the astrological signs have changed due to the earth's axis tilting or something. So, now they say I am a Taurus.

I owned a Ford Taurus once and it was the worst car ever!

I'm sticking with gemini.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: September 17, 2016 11:29AM

Regardless of what NASA has said or not said (and I do not know what you are referring to), the astrological signs have definitely NOT changed...

[We seem to go through this every decade or so lately. It is NEVER factual.]

gemini...I am VERY happy to inform you that you are JUST as "Gemini" at this instant in time as you were the moment you took your first breath!!!

:) :) :)

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: September 17, 2016 11:58AM

I too had a Ford Taurus and it was a morgcar. It looked good in appearance, but it's real inner nature was one of deceit, trickery, failure, and I could never depend on it. It would take me to church, but it preferred to sit in the parking lot and skip the sermons. It required a lot of money and sometimes refused to cooperate unless I paid up. I tried real hard to believe in this car, but eventually I could see the writing on the wall and we parted company. Now I own a Honda and I think it is Agnostic, but I don't ask and it doesn't say.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 17, 2016 12:00PM

Half of me says, "You're a Gemini--deal with it." But an equal and opposite half contentiously argues that I'm a Taurus! This was very confusing and unsettling, until I heard a voice which straightened everything out (or so I thought).

The voice said, "Don't worry whether you're Gemini or Taurus, Caffiend. They're meaningless concepts. You're schizophrenic!" But then I learned the term "schizophrenia" is passe, it's now "Borderline."

I like that. I can live with it. All the sages and voices I listen to agree: I'm right on the borderline of Gemini and Taurus!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 17, 2016 12:11PM

I am torn between being a condiment or a condominium. One is cheap and delicious and the other doesn't have a front lawn. Facts are often difficult to deal with.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: September 18, 2016 02:33PM

No worries... you are my condiment.

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: September 21, 2016 02:37AM

You guys are adorable!

I think I might have a broken rib or something like it from my fall last week. My knee and leg are getting better but this pain in my ribs is getting worse! (No insurance to get it checked out and if it IS broken, whatta they gonna do? Nuthin'!)

Anyway, I am sitting here, pretty miserable, reading on my Kindle and I always love seeing posts from you two. You make me feel better; you make me smile and believe in warm fuzzies and cool people.

So thank you, darling people.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2016 02:40AM by Doxi.

Date: September 21, 2016 02:46AM

Sooooo close! We're cool fuzzies and warm people.

And as Eyore says, "Thanks for noticing us..."

https://imgflip.com/i/1azfgr?merp=1474440596.0732

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: September 17, 2016 12:30PM

According to Snopes, that's false.
http://www.snopes.com/ophiuchus-zodiac-change/

Posted by: Jim Barrett ( )
Date: September 17, 2016 07:48PM

The debunking on Snopes refers to a different issue.

Because of the precession of the Earth's axis, the time of year during which the sun is actually in Gemini slowly migrates around the calendar with a period of about 26,000 years, and no longer corresponds exactly with the range of birthdates which make one a Gemini according to traditional astrology.

Whether this means you are or aren't functionally a Gemini would depend on why you believe astrology works.

Date: September 17, 2016 12:38PM

Wow..I feel such RELIEF that I am still a gemini.

And, Sunbeep, I HATED my ford taurus. I paid for it twice, I know, in repairs. The worst was when my transmission went out on Interstate 84 in southern Idaho. At 10 pm. On a Saturday.

Date: September 17, 2016 09:28PM

I don't believe in astrology, but I always kinda liked the sign of the twins.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: September 17, 2016 11:15PM

That's weird! I used to be Libra and now I'm a Virgo!??? I was born on October 5.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: September 17, 2016 11:41PM

The precession has nothing to do with what the zodiac was like on the day you were born. If you were born in Gemini, you are always a Gemini.

It's like if you were born in Poland near the border. Then the border was shifted as a result of war or international politics. You were still born in Poland, not in the country that took over the area you were born in.

Posted by: Jim Barrett ( )
Date: September 18, 2016 05:18AM

But the precession had already shifted the border before many living nominal Geminis were born. The analogy is with someone born after the border shift in what used to be Poland.

It depends on whether you define a Gemini as someone born while the sun was actually in Gemini, or as someone born during a part of the calendar year which is labelled 'Gemini' for historical reasons.

Posted by: op47 ( )
Date: September 18, 2016 05:36AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zodiac gives an explanation, especially the section Constellations. I must admit I thought it was weird that my planisphere showed the zodiac signs round the edge, but all the constellations with the same name were not in their appropriate zodiac sign.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: September 18, 2016 09:36AM

The transition from Gemini to Taurus can be a rough one. That's why I suggest you check out exgemini.org. It's a safe place where you can anonymously vent, learn, and connect with other Tauruses, including ExGems.

There may still be TBG's (True Believing Geminis) in your life. Don't let them shame you because you have moved on! You are moving to a place of truth, honesty and, ultimately, peace. You'll find that Tauruses by and large won't judge you like TBG's.

Perhaps you still carry the guilt that comes from being a former TBG. Perhaps you even worked as a Gemini missionary for two years, spreading the often-hurtful Gemini dogma to innocent people in far-away lands. Don't beat yourself up about this! You were young, impressionable, and just wanted to be a good Gemini! Forgive yourself first--sometimes that's the hardest part, but it's the most important.

Date: September 18, 2016 11:22AM

Ok, that is funny!

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: September 18, 2016 12:23PM

"Astrology is bunk" - Patrick Moore.

Well said, Patrick. Why? because there really is no empirical evidence for it.

And evidence is what matters in making rational aeguments.

Posted by: whinny ( )
Date: September 19, 2016 06:59PM

Since we are talking astrology.....I decided earlier this year that I was no longer going to believe in Mercury Retrograde being a time of chaos and troubles (poor communications, computer glitches, travel problems). Or a good time to redo or revisit the past. I never believed strongly in astrology anyway, but Mercury Retrograde was a thing I thought I had accumulated evidence for. Turns out I was wrong - cherry picking evidence.

I downloaded Windows 10, for instance, and all is well. My computer is just fine. This is something I would have avoided doing in the past during a Mercury Retrograde.

So...I'm a Taurus, unless, like Gemini, I'm not anymore....

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 19, 2016 07:15PM

Astrology is all bullsh!t anyway, so you can claim whatever sign you want.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 19, 2016 07:32PM

Don't feel bad.
You were never "a gemini" anyway. :)

Date: September 19, 2016 10:49PM

Well, I'm keeping my screen name no matter what sign I am supposed to be...so there...lol

Date: September 20, 2016 10:50AM

That's cool :)

Gemini *is* a "constellation" (which is just a random arrangement of stars that, from our point of view in the galaxy, sort of kinda maybe looks like something). It's anchored by Castor and Pollux, the twins of mythology, and in the constellation two fairly bright stars. Interestingly, they were twin brothers with two different fathers (if you don't think the Greeks had some kinky ideas about sex...), one being the son of an earthly king, the other the "divine" son of Zeus. In one version of their myth, they could only be alive on alternate days -- one day Castor would be alive and Pollux dead, the next Pollux alive and Castor dead.

Perhaps that duality of mortal/immortal suits you. Keep the name without the astrology :)

Date: September 20, 2016 02:40PM

I remember a neat science magazine, "Science 86," which was later taken over by "Discovery." (The number changed according to the year--it was 1986 I'm referring to.)

They reported a study done in France, where people were invited to submit their natal data (date, time, and location of birth) to a respected astrologist who would provide them--free--a detailed personality profile and analysis. They would be asked to complete a questionnaire upon receiving it.

The SAME horoscope was sent to everybody--regardless of their individual natal "data." A very high proportion of people affirmed that this horoscope was an accurate representation of their personality! (Sorry, can't remember the exact percentage, but it was well over a majority.)

The horoscope that was sent out to everybody--EVERYBODY!--was drawn on the natal location of an infamous mass murderer.

Date: September 20, 2016 02:59PM

Good memory, oh caffeinated one:

"In another experiment, the famous French Astrologer, Michael Gauquelin, offered free horoscopes to any reader of Ici Paris, if they would give feedback on the accuracy of his supposedly “individual” analysis. He wanted to scientifically test the profession of astrology. As with Forer’s experiment, there was a trick: he sent out thousands of copies of the same horoscope to people of various astrological signs – and 94% of the readers replied that his reading was very accurate and insightful.

What they didn’t know was that the horoscope was that of a local mass murderer, Dr. Petiot, who had admitted during his trial that he had killed 63 people."

( http://www.relativelyinteresting.com/astrology-and-horoscopes-debunked/ )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 03:06PM by ificouldhietokolob.

Date: September 20, 2016 08:45PM

All goes to empirically prove, beyond any doubt, that caffeine is a wonder drug.

That's a neat site--thanks for introducing me to it. The text they provide in the "Ici Paris" is very close to what I (think I) remember from Science86. When my brother left Christian Science, he dabbled in astrology and psychic readers a good bit, and wound up an atheist. But astrology still fascinates him. I wound up a Christian, as you know. How's that for odd? We have one other sibling, and she got VERY deep in Christian Science, eventually becoming a certified (certifiable?) "Teacher" [i.e. she trains people on how to become (ahem) C.S. healing "Practitioners."] But of my parents' 7 grandchildren, only one is C.S., my sister's son, who also became a C.S. Practitioner.

And Stray Mutt? (above) Your Zodiac testimony was weak. You were never a true Gemini--you only thought you were.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 08:55PM by caffiend.

Date: September 21, 2016 10:44AM

As a mormon "priest" and scout when I was 16, our bishop took the scout group on a week-long summer backpacking trip to the High Sierra. A long ride in his mormon-family-van to get there.
On the way, he decides to give us a lesson on why other religions are so wrong. Spends a lot of time on how wayward the Catholics are, with their idol worship and invention of the trinity. Covers many of the mainstream protestants, with their ideas of "grace" (and how works matter as much or more!).

He finishes up by briefly mentioning Christian Scientists -- basically just saying, "Those guys are just nuts."

I didn't appreciate the irony until much later :)

Date: September 21, 2016 10:54AM

Goodness gracious (pun intended), Hie, what's going to happen to us if we keep finding common ground? FWIW, I like my light roast ground extra fine for filters.

Fun quasi-fact: Mary Baker Eddy did not prohibit coffee and tea, but she did denounce, in passing, the "depraved appetite for tobacco, alcohol, and caffeine." Thus, many CS'ists eschewed coffee and tea, along with booze and smokes. For much of my childhood, my parents (50s into the 60s) were Postum (yuck!) drinkers. But I noticed in her later years my highly-positioned mother (a CS "Teacher," as I mentioned in another post) started drinking coffee and tea.

But during her anti-caffeine period, she drank coke prodigiously. And Christian Scientists are quite the chocoholics.

Posted by: Newsreader ( )
Date: September 21, 2016 01:59AM

Date: September 21, 2016 02:50AM

In Boston you have to have a city license (or permit) to be a soothsayer. They say it's a kind of entertainment license, but I figure it's just one way to fleece the public for revenue. In Taxachusetts, you can't spit on the sidewalk without paying a fee.

But if they're going to regulate psychic readers and the like, I think we taxpayers should get some kind of quality control, like we do with restaurants, weights & measures, and the like. If I'm paying my hard-earned money to get my future read, I want results! Same with Christian Science Practitioners: if they can't deliver the goods and heal my cancer, I want the government to shut them down!

Date: September 21, 2016 10:13AM

"That's because of a 1982 city ordinance that banned occult arts, which include "clairvoyance, mesmerism, spiritualism or any other practice or practices generally recognized to be unsound and unscientific" in addition to the aforementioned palm-reading."

Then how come religion isn't banned, hmm? :)

Date: September 22, 2016 10:23AM

Not sure what city ordinance you're referring to, Hie. As far as I know, Massachusetts laws simply require that a fortune teller be licensed, be a resident of a municipality for one year before obtaining a license (probably an anti-gypsy provision), and prohibits "Whoever, by a game, device, sleight of hand, pretended fortune telling or by any trick or other means by the use of cards or other implements or instruments, fraudulently obtains from another person property of any description shall be punished as in the case of larceny of property of like value." (266:75)

I would say this could be used against the most outrageous of prosperity preachers, if they make specific promises of financial gain in exchange for donations. There are occasional cases of psychic cons who convince people they are cursed and demand "gifts" of money and jewelry to the evil spirit, and they are successfully prosecuted.

Wouldn't it be interesting if an aggressive lawyer used this against a Scientology "counselor" and his use of an e-meter?

I know you can't resist any opportunity to slight religion, but this one is a bit of a reach.

Date: September 22, 2016 07:43PM

caffiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not sure what city ordinance you're referring to,
> Hie.

The one in newsreader's link to an Oregon law above.
Sorry for any confusion. I replied to that post, but it appeared below yours!

> I know you can't resist any opportunity to slight
> religion, but this one is a bit of a reach.

Admittedly, though not nearly so much when you read the Oregon law I was referring to, which prohibits "...practices generally recognized to be unsound and unscientific..." :)

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: September 21, 2016 03:45AM

This BBC News feature might be interesting :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-37419182

Date: September 21, 2016 06:17AM

They gone too far--I WILL NOT PUT UP WITH THIS!!!

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: September 21, 2016 08:00AM

Just be glad you are not a Ford Pinto.

Date: September 21, 2016 11:04AM

Date: September 21, 2016 11:51AM

I got that :) Not sure many others did...!

Date: September 21, 2016 12:31PM

Of course I did, I just didn't want to give away my age!

I always check a prospective vehicle to see where the gas tank is placed...

Date: September 21, 2016 03:42PM

The car I learned to drive in (mine didn't have mag wheels, though):

http://www.stationwagonforums.com/forums/media/1974-ford-pinto-squire.1703/full?d=0

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: September 21, 2016 11:18AM

Wouldn't the description/ behaviors of each sign shift with the sign?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.