Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gheco ( )
Date: October 08, 2016 11:24AM

Not a joke or satire.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/10/5/1578126/-Oklahoma-governor-declares-Oct-13-a-day-of-prayer-for-the-oil-industry-no-this-is-not-a-joke

The Governor has requested churches for a day of pryer for the industry, and to "put on the coffee pot"-not sure if that is a wink about mormons.

Some of us think the time might be better spent studying what hundreds or thousands of fracking induced earthquakes do to aquifers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: October 08, 2016 11:57AM

Yeah- let's pray for the industry that is polluting their ground water & fracturing their lands. Maybe, just maybe, God is preferring the muslim countries oil over Oklahoma's. Oil prices fall due to the OPEC producing Arab world.
The Governor is an ignorant fool.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 08, 2016 02:45PM

We cannot afford to burn more fossil fuels. Humanity is doomed if we don't cease pumping carbon into our atmosphere. We are well on pace for 4 C increase in global temperatures, more than double what climatologists consider safe for human existence.

http://www.vox.com/2016/10/4/13118594/2-degrees-no-more-fossil-fuels

Posted by: Carbon vs oxygen ( )
Date: October 08, 2016 04:09PM

The atmosphere is approx 20.0% oxygen and approx 0.3% carbon dioxide. At what point does this become bad?

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 08, 2016 04:26PM

You do know how greenhouses work?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 10, 2016 11:28AM

Carbon vs oxygen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The atmosphere is approx 20.0% oxygen and approx
> 0.3% carbon dioxide. At what point does this
> become bad?

Actually, it's currently about 0.045% carbon dioxide.
And just 200 years ago, it was about 0.024% carbon dioxide, meaning it's nearly doubled in 200 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2016 11:35AM by ificouldhietokolob.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: October 10, 2016 03:40PM

"Actually, it's currently about 0.045% carbon dioxide.
And just 200 years ago, it was about 0.024% carbon dioxide, meaning it's nearly doubled in 200 years."

And forty-five thousandths of one percent is supposed to be a problem?

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2009/10/07/scientist-carbon-dioxide-doesnt-cause-global-warming

"Worse, if CO2 levels are cut, he warns, food production will slow because plants grown at higher CO2 levels make larger fruit and vegetables and also use less water. He also said that higher CO2 levels are not harmful to humans. As an example, he said that Earth's atmosphere currently has about 338 parts per million of CO2 and that in Navy subs, the danger level for carbon dioxide isn't reached until the air has 8,000 parts per million of CO2."

Date: October 10, 2016 06:59PM

randyj Wrote:
> And forty-five thousandths of one percent is
> supposed to be a problem?

Yes, it is.

> "Worse, if CO2 levels are cut, he warns, food
> production will slow because plants grown at
> higher CO2 levels make larger fruit and vegetables
> and also use less water.

Mostly true. Higher CO2 levels, however, also raise the temperature, making huge swaths of current farmland too warm to grow seasonal crops. Me, I'd rather have more land to grow more food, rather than big fruits and less land to grow them on.

> He also said that higher
> CO2 levels are not harmful to humans. As an
> example, he said that Earth's atmosphere currently
> has about 338 parts per million of CO2...

Wrong. The amounts vary seasonably, but the seasonal-swing mean right now is about 450 parts per million

> and that in
> Navy subs, the danger level for carbon dioxide
> isn't reached until the air has 8,000 parts per
> million of CO2."

So this idiot scientist doesn't understand the difference between toxic to humans levels of CO2, and the amount of CO2 that causes greenhouse effects? How stupid.

Incidentally, the highest-ever verifiable CO2 level for the earth is 7,000 PPM. That was before photosynthetic plants existed. And the mean temperature of the earth at that time was well over 100F. Humans couldn't have survived, and there was essentially 0% oxygen in the atmosphere. You can thank photosynthetic plants for using up enough CO2, and producing enough oxygen, for setting up the evolution of animals leading to you and I.

edit: oh, I see that article is more than 7 years old, so the seasonal-swing median could have been 338 PPM at that time. However, so much more additional evidence that counters his unscientific claims has become available since then that the article is pointless, anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2016 07:04PM by ificouldhietokolob.

Date: October 10, 2016 03:33PM

"We cannot afford to burn more fossil fuels. Humanity is doomed if we don't cease pumping carbon into our atmosphere."

Here's a partial list of items which are made from petroleum:

http://whgbetc.com/petro-products.pdf

Sounds like you need to get busy eliminating all of those products from your life.

Date: October 10, 2016 03:41PM

randyj Wrote:
> Sounds like you need to get busy eliminating all
> of those products from your life.

Making and using them isn't nearly as bad as *burning* them.

Date: October 10, 2016 08:06PM

"Making and using them isn't nearly as bad as *burning* them."

Petroleum has to be burned at some point to make products out of it. You don't pour crude oil into a mold and come out with a Bic pen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwdUwffecsM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_JUHHMyLQw

Oil is drilled by machinery that burns oil, transported to refineries that burn oil, made into products by heating them with oil, transported to markets by vehicles that burn oil, purchased by consumers who drive vehicles that burn oil, who in many cases, heat their homes with oil.

You can't use any product that is made from oil and fool yourself into believing that you're not contributing to the burning of oil.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 08, 2016 03:18PM

I thought we were supposed to pray for coal! Dammit. Now I'm confused.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 08, 2016 03:24PM

I'll tell you who needs the prayers: The Earth and Atheists! Get ghawd to take care of these two groups and everything will be fine.

I think slavery is the answer! Slavery would drastically reduce the cost of products, including things like houses and cars!

We who weren't slaves, could afford things again! We just need a program to get slaves to feel good about being slaves.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 08, 2016 04:56PM

I'm not getting enough methane in my tap water.

Posted by: Moosefan ( )
Date: October 08, 2016 05:56PM

I live in Texas. The hashtag #prayforoilfield has been on signs, car stickers, and various posts with people's kids "praying for daddy's job". The old timers were prepared as they are used to the feast and famine of the oil business. The younger ones, were not or refused to listen.
Praying for the oilfield and gas to go high again is like praying for a drought when it's raining in the spring.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 08, 2016 06:18PM

Wow! 200,000 barrels of light crude per day would cover my driving needs for a bit!

But wait!!! Isn't this bad for Oklahoma? Won't this serve to continue the downward pressure on oil?

What they need is for oil to be outlawed and then they can make fortunes on the black market!!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 08, 2016 10:53PM

I was going to say something from up here in Alberta...but I'll restrain myself.

RB

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: October 10, 2016 11:18AM

Ill say it for ya Ron...not a lot of sympathy for many of the live fast die young oil guys in alberta...they live like theres no tomorrow while the tide rises..then have all the trucks toys and houses repoed when it crashes...oil comps themselves spend like drunken sailors when times are good...the waste is incredible...but something really wrong here...refineries making out like bandits...we still pay the same for fuel as when it was 140 a barrel??...greed thievery and no conscience seem rampant in capitalism...and govt just winks at collusion...now we see this carbon tax bs is gonna drive us to the brink of insolvency...heard from reliable source....many oil field guys pull down 1-200k a year and dont have enough to pay their taxes...how did that great old song go....Whos Sorry Now...regular folks are...crime in big cities has sky rocketed since the layoffs began..at least some of it to support drug habits...naw you make your bed...you lie in it...you cant fix stupid with prayer

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 10, 2016 01:00PM

I come to this discussion from the standpoint of having a son who works to build petroleum infrastructure and also having many family members working hard in the oil patch to earn a living. None of them inhabit the ivory towers in downtown Calgary.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: October 10, 2016 11:30AM

I am requesting a year of prayer for the Oklahoma governor.

Unfortunately it's not enough.

Posted by: 64monkey ( )
Date: October 10, 2016 11:44AM

The fact is progress leaves some finding they need new skills. Being from the aviation industry I can tell you there are no more flight engineers or radio operators in cockpits. That skill is no longer required. Imagine how profitable an airline would be from Oklahoma or Texas if no one wanted to put thousands of radio operators and flight engineers out of work. So if god had answered prayers from families of this group worried about losing their living they'd be out of a job by now anyhow or Oklahoma and Texas would be subsidizing the airlines with tax payer money and I'm sure that would go over well. Maybe they should pray for the wisdom to accept and adapt to change in a area that would secure generations with good employment at the same time keeping pollution out of the air. God would prefer that I'd think, at least I would. Of course facts and religion don't mix.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: October 10, 2016 04:56PM

In this case its not so much that their skills are not needed, just the oil biz is so cyclical. In this case the down-cycle is caused by the oil company's own success in finding new resources and also by Saudi Arabia pumping to max capacity with the stated intent of bankrupting the new American oil producers. The low prices are being to hurt in Saudi Arabia, so they may be forced to stop that tactic to avoid an insurrection.

Date: October 10, 2016 08:10PM

"In this case the down-cycle is caused by the oil company's own success in finding new resources and also by Saudi Arabia pumping to max capacity with the stated intent of bankrupting the new American oil producers."

Seems to me that the smart thing to do is to force the Arab oil-producing countries to drill, sell, and use up all of their oil, and for western nations to hold on to most of theirs. Once the Arabs use up all their oil, they'll have no money to fund radical terrorism, so that problem will end. And the environmentalists who believe that we shouldn't burn oil will be happier. Win/win.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: October 10, 2016 08:53PM

in b 4 ~ Oilman's prayer:

"Please, Lord, give us just one more oil boom.....and this time we promise not to piss it all away!"

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: October 10, 2016 10:48PM

"Nevada governor requests a day of prayer for the Gambling Industry"

"Colorado governor requests a day of prayer for the marijuana industry."

This idea could catch on state-by-state.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: October 10, 2016 10:51PM

Did the government do the same for the Deepwater Horizon!???

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.