Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 14, 2016 01:15AM

Some time ago on a thread about mormons having many children I refered to a quote by Brigham Young. I have since found my reference.

"The Way to Perfection" by Joseph Fielding Smith, 3rd editon 1940. His reference is "Discourses of Brigham Young " page 305.

"There are multitudes of pure and holy spirits waiting to take tabernacles, now what is our duty?

To prepare tabernacles for them; to take a course that will not tend to drive those spirits into the families of the wicked, where they will be trained in wickedness, debauchery, and every species of crime. It is the duty of every righteous man and woman to prepare tabernacles for all the spirits they can."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: October 14, 2016 01:29AM

I know for a fact that all my non-Mormon neighbors' lives are just chock full of wickedness, debauchery and every species of crime. Why, just last Sunday the guy across the street was mowing his lawn, and the kids two houses down was playing with their dog. Horrible, I tell you! I guess my wife and I need to just start having more kids!

Posted by: not logged in now ( )
Date: October 14, 2016 01:38AM

Original quote in Journal of Discourses, Vol. 4, p. 56 (September 21, 1856)

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: October 14, 2016 01:51AM

From the "Eternal Marriage Student Manual," (2003), pp. 347–72:

"Brigham Young emphasized: 'There are multitudes of pure and holy spirits waiting to take tabernacles, now what is our duty?—To prepare tabernacles for them; to take a course that will not tend to drive those spirits into the families of the wicked, where they will be trained in wickedness, debauchery, and every species of crime. It is the duty of every righteous man and woman to prepare tabernacles for all the spirits they can' (Discourses of Brigham Young, sel. John A. Widtsoe [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1954], p. 197)."

https://www.lds.org/manual/eternal-marriage-student-manual/womens-divine-roles-and-responsibilities?lang=eng

Intolerant, judgmental, warped and just plain creepy.

Posted by: ren ( )
Date: October 14, 2016 01:57AM

This reminds me of James E. Faust's 1995 first presidency message, "Serving the Lord and Resisting the Devil." This part in particular made me cringe, especially as an environmental science major:

"One study estimates that with improved scientific methods the earth could feed as many as one thousand billion people. Those who argue for sustainable growth lack vision and faith. The Lord said, 'For the earth is full, and there is enough and to spare.' That settles the issue for me. It should settle the issue for all of us. The Lord has spoken."

Faust clearly didn't take the time to read his own source (a cover story from US News and World Report) which states "the only hope is an aggressive effort to reduce runaway birthrates" and "reducing birth rates is clearly an urgent priority."

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: October 14, 2016 05:52AM

bet brigham thought the 'baby blues' was all in the minds of the women, ie, not real. Even queen victoria had post-natal depression (it is inappropriately named since after first experienced, it resurfaces during each subsequent pregnancy) but she could legally self-medicate with cocaine. She used that 'remedy' for menstrual pains and accompanying mental discomfort, then again for menopause. In fact, it could safely be said she was a cocaine addict.

Now, think of those poor women forced to be pregnant, over and over again, without recovering completely in between, all because brigham wanted to grow members for his city/nation state. Baby farming - sick. Hitler did a similar thing with his baby farming to create citizens for his nazi state.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: October 14, 2016 10:05AM

For instance:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1831975,1832071#msg-1832071

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1795214,1795639#msg-1795639

Those statements from Brigham Young are pretty well-known. A common humorous euphemism in Mormon culture for "having sex" is "making tabernacles for little spirits."

To illustrate how deceitful and disingenuous some Mormon apologists are: When I first began debating TBMs on the alt.religion.mormon forum circa 1998, this subject of Mormons having lots of kids came up. One non-Mormon asked the reason for it. The TBMs responded "It's a cultural thing" or "It's more of a Utah thing" blah blah blah. Those TBMs didn't acknowledge or cite the doctrinal reasons at all. At that time, I hadn't studied issues like this for many years, but I remembered the teachings about the unborn spirits in the spirit world who needed earthly tabernacles, and that it was our duty to prepare those tabernacles yada yada yada. So I dusted off my copy of "Discourses of Brigham Young," found the quotes, and posted them to ARM. That was one of my earliest experiences which showed me how TBMs lie about church doctrines. The ones who responded were obviously embarrassed about the Mormon doctrine of having lots of kids, so they tried to attribute it to "culture." Those lying TBMs weren't expecting an Ex-Mormon like me to show up there and expose their deceitfulness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2016 10:14AM by randyj.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 14, 2016 10:23AM

Heartless Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...where they will be trained
> in wickedness, debauchery, and every species of
> crime.

Interesting that at the time he said that, he was a criminal -- breaking the law in regard to plural marriage. :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.