Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 16, 2016 03:06PM

Straight from 'Gospel Fundamentals':

"Our Spirits Live After We Die
We are the spirit children of our Father in Heaven. While we lived with Him in heaven as spirits, we did not have physical bodies. It was part of His plan for us to be born on this earth and for our spirits to receive bodies of flesh and bones. Our spirits are what gives life to our physical bodies while we live on the earth.

Just as to be born was a part of our Father in Heaven’s plan for us, another part of His plan is for us to die. When we die, our spirits leave our bodies. Without the spirit, the body has no life and is placed in a grave.

But our spirits lived before our birth, and they will continue to live after death. When we die, our spirits will go to the spirit world to wait for the resurrection, while the body remains in the grave.

In the spirit world our spirits will have the same form as when we lived on the earth with bodies of flesh and bones. We will look as we do here. We will think the same way and believe the same things as we did here. Those who are righteous in this life will still be righteous. Those who were unrighteous will still be unrighteous. We will have the same desires after we die as we had while on this earth."

OK, we all know this is the teaching, but how does one derive one scrap of logic from going to spirit to flesh to spirit to flesh? No wonder atheists think their way out of religion.

Class, discuss. Humor/intellect/"Joseph Smith was a dick" intermix encouraged.

*P.S. The spam prevention for this post was P6 and F6F; for those of you who are airplane geeks those are two great aircraft, the Hawk and the Hellcat! :-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 16, 2016 03:14PM

I thought the logic was impeccable as I sat in Sunday School and Seminary. It ruled out the efficacy of 'death bed' confessions!

But then the temple experience started my disbelief.

One easy truth to believe was that as a spirit, me seeing the spirit of a 'hot' female, I would react just as I had in my body. So what stops/prevents/changes the spirit of a gay man or lesbian from reacting as he or she did 'in the flesh' when observing a comely spirit?

Do they have to wait for Celestial shock treatment?

The overview is heavenly but the devil is in the details.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: October 16, 2016 03:21PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 16, 2016 03:53PM

what's a spirit ?

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 16, 2016 04:04PM

Makes as much sense as Xenu and Thetans.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 16, 2016 04:07PM

but that story is so absurd it must be true.

Date: October 16, 2016 04:10PM

Chicken N. Backpacks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...but how does one derive one scrap of logic from going to
> spirit to flesh to spirit to flesh?

Well, see, we have to die so that we can fear it and be willing to do anything in order to not be dead. And we have to die so that God/Jesus can do the magic trick of making us alive again, for which we will be eternally grateful and willing to continue doing whatever is demanded.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 16, 2016 05:23PM

Chicken N. Backpacks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Straight from 'Gospel Fundamentals':
>
> "In the spirit world our spirits will have the same
> form as when we lived on the earth with bodies of
> flesh and bones. We will look as we do here. We
> will think the same way and believe the same
> things as we did here...We will
> have the same desires after we die as we had while
> on this earth."

So, any guesses as to what Horny Joe is doing right now in the Spirit World as I type this? I guarantee you, he isn't playing canasta.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: October 16, 2016 05:34PM

What's going to be really creepy is to see all of the undead who are buried in the graveyards come on out. With the decomposition that goes on in there, seeing all those bodies come back to normal will be a sight to behold.

Posted by: hollensnopper ( )
Date: October 16, 2016 07:04PM

Ok, If spirits can't be killed, how do you think they "fought a war in Heaven" with no bodies? What weapons could they have used?
They couldn't have used spears since, first, they had no hands to throw them with, and, second, the other spirits had no heart, head, gizzard, etc to throw a spear into. Same for rocks, bows and arrows, etc.

If you could not be killed or even hurt, how could you be either valiant or not in such a war?

Lots of holes in this story.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: October 16, 2016 07:12PM

It was more of a rhetorical war. A lot of insults and name calling. When someone lost the argument, they had to admit it. It was all done on the "honor system."

Date: October 16, 2016 07:13PM

They thought bad things at each other.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 16, 2016 11:12PM

Puh-leaze. You never saw Ghostbusters? Just strap a nuclear reactor to your back and don't forget: DO NOT cross the streams!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 16, 2016 07:08PM

They just think they know everything. No one knows these things. It's junk cosmology.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: October 16, 2016 08:27PM

All this business about the spirit world. What spirits? Whiskey? Vodka? Jim Bean? Standard 80 proof grain alcohol? Details please.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 16, 2016 08:57PM

Spirit World has the best deals in town for your liquor needs.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 16, 2016 11:20PM

Do they carry Half and Half?

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: October 17, 2016 12:18AM

Will they accept a check for the cost of the half and half?

Posted by: desertwoman ( )
Date: October 17, 2016 10:28AM

OK, Everyone! Consider this from above: "In the spirit world our spirits will have the same form as when we lived on the earth with bodies of flesh and bones. We will look as we do here."

So, to me that means, since most humans die in their old age, the spirit world is inhabited by old, decrepit, wrinkled spirits, with relatively few younger adults and children. As JS died as a young middle-aged man, he'd be surrounded by mostly old people.

That movie we saw years ago in church, "Man's Search for Happiness", showed a relatively even spread of ages in the spirit world of the film. I think it would not truly be so, IF I were to believe in the spirit world.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 17, 2016 02:29PM

"a relatively even spread of ages in the spirit world"

Yeah, another one of those things that, with anything deeper than a pencil scratch of thought, will bend a TBM's shelf, but this is what they are taught from a young age. Wait a minute, if Grandpa and Grandma are there, what about *their* Grandpa and Grandma, and *their* Grandpa and Grandma, ad nauseum....? The reverse also applies: "Wait, your my great-great-great grandson, why do you look like a grandpa too!?"

I guess it's one of those "Beyond all understanding" things that's a convenient catch-all for doctrine that makes no sense. https://www.lds.org/bc/content/shared/content/images/gospel-library/manual/31122/31122_all_060_02.jpg

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.