Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 12:58AM

I told my tbm dad that Lauren Becall passed away. My tbm baby sister thought I was talking about Pamela Andersen instead. So I went to the computer and showed her Lauren Befall on the Internet Movie Database. I told her that she was prettier than Pamela. I also told her that she was from "old school" Hollywood. Maybe she didn't remember her because she's 24 and I'm 41? Are there others like her who are unaware of yesteryears old fashion movies star still with us? Granted they're not tabloid fodder of course!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: whywait ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 01:02AM

Of course. Just like many of today's young sports fans have no idea of Jim Brown or Mickey Mantle, today's young movie fans don't know Bogart of Bacall.

Posted by: Platypus ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 01:02AM

I'm in your age group, & most of the people I grew up with in our age group did not know about actors from decades past, unless they were an older actor on a TV show (like when Ernest Borgnine was on "Airwolf"). I knew who they were because I read books about film & film history.

Posted by: Ex Aedibus ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 01:03AM

My youngest sister does. She's also 24 and likes old movies and old books, too. She's currently pursuing an MA in English Literature.

She's also a big fan of Audrey Hepburn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2014 01:10AM by Ex Aedibus.

Posted by: bordergirl ( )
Date: October 16, 2016 03:51AM

My 28 year old daughter as well is up on old school actors. She also loves Audrey Hepburn!

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 16, 2016 09:25AM

I grew up on late-night TV so I've seen all the old classic 30s, 40s and 50's horror and SF films like "Frankenstein" and "Dracula." I've even seen all three of the original "Buck Rogers" serials thanks to public television and the Internet. I also like the old film noir crime dramas and Bogart films. Purposely put off seeing "Casablanca" until I could see it on a date in a real movie theatre.

The date wasn't so great but the movie was.

Posted by: Heart of Lorkhan ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 01:06AM

I'm a millenial and I didn't know who she was. I'm ashamed. T_T But I live under a rock. I don't even know who most of today's celebrities are.

Posted by: southern Idaho inactive ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 01:11AM

Don't feel too bad about it. I don't know anything about the stars in many of today's TV so called "reality shows".

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 01:09AM

I wouldn't be surprised if some millenials know of her indirectly through "The Aviator," but haven't connected the dots.

Posted by: xnorth ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 11:00AM

I'm in my late twenties. I can't imagine NOT knowing who Lauren Bacall was, or Humphrey Bogart, or any classic Hollywood actor. It's an essential part of a pop culture education. How could anyone confuse Lauren Bacall with Pamela Anderson? It's the difference between class and trash.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 01:16PM

Lauren who?

Can't blame a person for not knowing someone who had their 15 minutes of fame 50 odd years ago.

Just like you don't want to be blamed for not knowing who's hip today - and it's not Pamela Anderson.

It's all vanity...

Posted by: xnorth ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 06:18PM

I'd hardly call it 15 minutes or 50 years ago. She was in some great films then, yes. But she also did Broadway in the 70s and 80s, and she got a Golden Globe and an Oscar nom in 97.

Posted by: Wilma Fingerdo ( )
Date: October 15, 2016 09:26PM

rt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lauren who?
>
> Can't blame a person for not knowing someone who
> had their 15 minutes of fame 50 odd years ago.
>
> Just like you don't want to be blamed for not
> knowing who's hip today - and it's not Pamela
> Anderson.
>
> It's all vanity...

Posted by: Hobart Smedley ( )
Date: October 15, 2016 09:27PM

Lauren Bacall -- 15 minutes of fame?

What an utter moron.

Posted by: Cinnamint ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 03:36PM

No. My 25 year old mare roommate had no idea who she was--and he's NEVER SEEN A ROBIN WILLIAMS FILM. WTH!

Posted by: Kismet ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 07:08PM

Not even Aladdin?

"PHENOMENAL COSMIC POWERS!!! … Itty-bitty living space."

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 06:23PM

I dont know who Lauren Bacall is.

Then again I don't know who a lot of people today are either.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 06:27PM

Years ago I had a student who had never heard of Jackie Kennedy. This was when she was still alive too.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 08:18PM

Well, my students know some old-time Hollywood stars, since I make them watch Bogart and Bacall in "The Big Sleep" when we study noir fiction. :-) It's true, though, that most of them haven't heard of any stars of earlier eras. Occasionally a student will have an interest in film studies and be an exception.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 10:31PM

Over ten years ago, I showed "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" to a Utah studies class. Most of them had never heard of Pual Newman or Robert Redford.Poor kids.The girls loved Redford.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 08:34PM

When those damn talkies came out it ruined the picture business.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 16, 2016 01:39AM

have second thoughts about this.

Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 10:23PM

When my dad told mom and I about Lauren Bacall, I didn't know who he was talking about. But if we think about it will the next generation know some of the famous actors or sports figures from today.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 10:26PM

It doesn't matter whether they do, just like it doesn't matter whether we old farts are up on all the current celebrities.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 10:57PM

Not only do I not follow old actors, I don't even follow new actors.
I am so out of the pop culture loop that I don't know who the kardashians are, nor do I care.

I see all these names on the covers of the tabloids at the supermarket and I have no clue.

I love TV but haven't watched it for years since I live in west Kansastan colorado and the only way I could get TV is to pay for satellite which I am too cheap to do.
Why should I pay for a hundred channels when I only like three of them ?

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: August 14, 2014 12:38AM

I think the Kardashians are on Star Trek.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: October 17, 2016 02:56AM

jpt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the Kardashians are on Star Trek.

With apologies to any Trekkers, I don't really like Star trek, but I still wouldn't wish any Kardashians off on the Star trek fans.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 15, 2016 09:39PM

Can't blame you, Dave. I have 17 free broadcast channels, and when anything about the Kardashians comes on, I change the channel. I know very little about them on purpose. I know enough to know you are missing nothing, Dave.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 11:20PM

Or the quarterback of the local team, or a star pitcher.

Then ask her if she knows who her Congressman is!

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: August 13, 2014 11:39PM

We own a ton of them on tape and on disc. Lauren was one of the most beautiful women to ever walk the planet IMHO. Shocking eyes.

Date: October 16, 2016 03:55AM

Absolutely!

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: October 15, 2016 09:30PM

Bogart and Bacall were omong the greats of my era, I am 80 years old, so there!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 15, 2016 09:35PM

My son is a fan of the old Universal horror movies from the thirties and forties. He knows Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff, and Lon Chaney Jr. He definitely knows John Wayne from westerns shown by local broadcasters. Marilyn Monroe and Betty Davis he could probably recognize. We see a lot of old horror movies presented by Svengoolie on Saturday nights.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 16, 2016 09:26AM

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 15, 2016 10:32PM

It depends on the area, too...

If a millennial has grown up in a show business area, they often have personal ties to the classic (or notable, or famous) performers, or to specific films or TV shows, which means that they often are very much aware of the actors in those productions.

A few years ago I (a full adult) became an auxiliary part of a specific school, and the millennials I got to know there were often highly-knowledgeable about film and television history...

...either because they were related to it (someone in their family was, or had been, a notable/famous performer), or because they had some personal connection to it (an area near their home had once been owned by [fill in the name of the star]), or because they were working child performers themselves, or because they knew/dated/grew up with child performers, or because they wanted to enter some sector of the entertainment industry in their personal futures.

Many of them, when it came to Hollywood/show business history, could out trivia me A-N-Y day!!! :D

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: October 15, 2016 10:35PM

When my daughter was born (she's 34 now) my wife and I disagreed on almost every name, although we were sure she was going to be another boy.

We decided on a few both boys and girls and I don't remember the exact details now, but when she was born I suggested Lauren, after Lauren Bacall and I'm not sure now why. I have always loved her (and Bogart) in The Big Sleep and To Have and Have not.

So we named her Lauren, my family and hers both hated the name to begin but after we trained to pronounce her name Lau-ren, not LORRIN (I used to say, don't pronounce it like Orrin Hatch.) they all learned to love it. She still has to correct people when they say her name and she's not a bit shy about doing so.

Posted by: Onslow ( )
Date: October 15, 2016 10:52PM

Ha. You remind me of the pretentious Hyacinth Bucket on "Keeping Up Appearances." She was always correcting people on the pronunciation of her last name, insisting it was "Bouquet."

Date: October 16, 2016 03:56AM

Nice one, Onslow!

Posted by: Loyalexmo ( )
Date: October 15, 2016 10:52PM

Do you know about younger stars? No? Then I don't get why this is an issue...There are plenty of amazing films and television shows being made currently. Generations have different pop culture references...seems intuitive to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2016 10:54PM by woodsmoke.

Posted by: Hockey Ratl ( )
Date: October 15, 2016 11:32PM

Richard : " It wasn't ' Bouquet ', until I met you"
I love that show, poor Richard and his early retirement .
She's always trying to impress the creepiest of people.
Poor Emmit too, and Elizabeth, well everyone's her victim

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: October 16, 2016 12:02AM

British humor is the best. One needs to let it evolve on you, before you know it, you can't get enough..... Benny Hill, Mr. Bean, Mrs. Brown's Boys to name a few.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: October 16, 2016 01:49AM

I found Hyacinth on Netflix not long ago. I've seen every episode many times and still watched them for a couple of nights.

Still laugh out loud funny.

Date: October 16, 2016 03:57AM

Some of the best physical comedy on television!

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: October 15, 2016 11:50PM

They don't know who Wilma Flintstone is either. The cartoons now a days are crappy. Where's Felix the cat? (Not Fritz the cat )
They don't know of him either , including yours truly.
I just remember seeing the ad for it in the movie section when I was a kid and wanting to see it, since I had a cat then and loved cat cartoons, like the Aristocats. My parents were telling me that Fritz wasn't for little kids. It wasn't like Felix

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: October 15, 2016 11:55PM

"Lady of the house speaking "
Here come Daisy and Onslow, sorry Elizabeth, you have to go !
And don't spill your coffee on the way out
Better go see what mess daddy and arose are getting into
Keep forgetting about Violet
Love that show. Didn't the guy who played Onslow died a year ago?
I also love the show where she's the lady detective, her and that young " Lad"

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: October 16, 2016 04:57AM

My parents watched a lot of old movies on VHS and then dVD when my siblings and I were growing up, so I know who a lot of them are.
My mother's hope chest from her youth was a genuine "Deanna Durbin" hope chest that had been her aunt's. It came with an 8" by 10' glossy of actress Deanna Durbin in the inside of the top, held there by a built-in wooden frame. I would have been easy enough to remove, but neither my mo nor her aunt bothered, so I know what Deanna Durbin looks like, though I don't think I've ever seen her in a movie. I remember that my sisters especially liked Doris Day movies.

The Christmas classic movies ("It's a wonderful Life," "White Christmas," "Christmas in Connecticut," "Miracle of the Bells," etc.)used to be played on one channel or another every year (probably still are) and we watched them as a family tradition with whatever kids were still at home. I never really liked many of the movies, but we had popcorn at least (sometimes something better) and hot chocolate, My memories of the times are fond. I remember as a little guy watching "Miracle on 34th Street" and thinking as a little boy that Natalie Wood was rather hot. It made me sad when I asked about her and my mom told me she had drowned a few years before I was born.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2016 04:57AM by scmd.

Posted by: ho hum ( )
Date: October 16, 2016 05:24AM

Millenials getting the blame for you lot getting old now yeah ?

* eye roll *

Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: October 16, 2016 09:33AM

My mom is on a western streak so I am seeing a lot of old actors like Steve McQueen, Jim Arness, and John Wayne. I am actually kind of liking most of them because there isn't much to some of the newer shorts out there now and I think the acting is much better to.

Date: October 17, 2016 08:15PM

I don't expect older folks to know about the genius that is Brie Larson and "Room" either...some do, some don't...who cares.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 17, 2016 08:55PM

Do most baby boomers even know of classic old-school silent film Hollywood actors?
I know a few, but not many and not many details.
Which isn't surprising.

Just like it's not surprising that most millenials don't know the Hollywood actors of our time.

:)

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 18, 2016 10:44AM

My dad raised us on movies. It was a big deal. My kids were raised the same.

I know this is an old thread.

It took me a while to figure out how the kardashians came to be such a 'big deal.' Then again, still can't figure it out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2016 10:45AM by cl2.

Date: October 18, 2016 11:05AM

Lol! Most millennials hate the Kardashians. There are many highly talented younger actors.

We do love Lin-Manuel Miranda. Millennial icon for sure.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.