Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 09:51PM

None of them were surprising except for the plow.

Boner, don't be scared: boners are not on the endangered list, although...

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 09:55PM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 10:13PM

Seer stones were not on the list!

But the automobile 'clutch' was.

I have very, very many found memories of both the use of a clutch with a column shifted manual transmission, as well as the floor mounted shifter.

There are probably few, if any, comparable pleasures to the gut wrenching/pleasuring experience of a fully revved engine being yanked from 1st to 2nd in less than the blink of an eye; and hearing the rear tires patching when you pop the clutch.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 10:35PM

10 things that have already disappeared (in chronological order):

* My foreskin
* My appendix
* Wife 1.0
* My gallbladder
* My wisdom tooth
* The hearing in my left ear
* Several gazillion liver and brain cells (alcohol was involved)
* The keys to my green Honda Civic
* An entire bottle of Wife 4.0's Rx kick-ass pain meds--I didn't steal it, honest ;)
* My testimony

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 01:03AM

From early childhood on, my kneecaps kept dislocating, with virtually any activity (a major nuisance that required having the doctor go in with a horse-sized needle, to draw out the fluid that made the knee swell to the size of a soccer ball) and then several weeks in a cast.

I had surgery on both of them in my teen years, which nailed the kneecaps down and kept them from dislocating, which was an improvement.

However, in later adult life, I developed such severe arthritis in both knees that just walking was very painful. When my doctor got the x-rays and snapped them up into those little back-lit screens, he exclaimed, "Good Lord, catnip! How have you managed to keep walking all these years??"

He referred me to an orthopedic surgeon, who told me that I was really too young (only in my 50s) for a knee replacement, but agreed that living with them in that condition was out of the question.

He suggested getting them replaced at the same time. He told me that I would curse his name, several times a day, for the first 10 to 14 days, but after that, as I recovered, I would be so glad to have it over and done with. He was right on both counts.

The kids were still at home at that time, and they were a huge help. Full healing took a while, but those knees have not given me any problems. They hiked all over Europe 10 years ago, and have kept going.

These days, arthritis in my low back is causing limited mobility, but those knees are still holding up just fine. I just have to remember to tell people that I have them before going through a metal sensor, because they WILL set it off. I learned how to say "artificial" in several languages while traveling in Europe, while pointing to my knees. They used the little hand-carried "wands" to make sure that the metal was just in my knees, but this never caused any problems.

Since healing fully, they have never caused any problem at all.

Posted by: dp ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 02:00AM

> * The keys to my green Honda Civic

You need to pray harder. Maybe fast.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 11:34PM

I've seen these lists before. We still have all of the items on the lists.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 11:42PM

Monson
Parts of Syria
Trick or Treating
Clown Costumes
Low Lying Islands
The Ashes of the American Dream

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.