Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brianberkeley ( )
Date: October 11, 2016 02:28AM

I was going to post about Soren Kierkegaard, but don't feel inspired.

In wines I prefer dark red varieties. Merlot is perfect with pot roast. I'm also fond of the Cabernet family. I don't really care for white wines,

Beer wise, since I'm an Asia rat I like San Miguel, but specifically the Mandaue Cebu production, not the watered down U.S. import. Sapporo is also a great beer. California has a plethora of craft beers that are truly outstanding. I love our micro breweries!

How about the forum. What are your favorite beverages.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JesusWho? ( )
Date: October 11, 2016 02:50AM

I love vodka tonic with lime. I also love Jameson and ginger ale. Basically I really enjoy budlight lime and Redd's Apple ale, especially their blueberry version. That one is fantastic.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: October 11, 2016 06:02AM

Beers- favorites for me are Full Sail Session Lager and Iron Horse brewery Irish Death.

Spirits- Scotch (blended, single malt when I can afford it), good dark rums.

Mixed drinks- Moscow Mule, Rum and Coke, and a personal experiment with vodka and pomegranate soda (still thinking of a name for it).

Posted by: Mike T. ( )
Date: October 11, 2016 06:54AM

Crisp lager for beer. For hard stuff, a nice smoky whisky. Not much for mixed drinks, but on morning trips I take a bloody Mary in the airplane.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 11, 2016 09:42AM

Craft beer and single malt scotch.

RB

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: October 11, 2016 10:13AM

I have several favorites:

1. IPA. My favorite IPA right now is Rampant by New Belgium Brewing.

2. Gin. I like it in a traditional martini, straight up with a couple of olives. Craft-distilling is really big right now, so in many places you can find really good local gin. Right now I am enjoying some lovely Deception Distilling gin from Anacortes, WA.

3. Brandy/Cognac. I'm working on a bottle of B&B (Benedictine and Brandy). I like it straight up in a snifter, usually late at night.

4. Margaritas. I enjoy margaritas when we eat Mexican food. But in most restaurants they simply throw them together by mixing cheap tequila with corn-syrupy mix. The best margaritas are made with a good quality tequila, a good quality orange liqueur, and fresh lime juice, then strained and served straight up. I'm still trying to sort out my favorite brands.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 12, 2016 05:17AM

If I happen to be in a hard-drinkin' mood, it's gotta be Glenfidditch.

Or Famous Grouse, which I shared some 10 years ago with Brigantia, who hasn't been around nearly enough lately.

Posted by: icanbemenow ( )
Date: October 11, 2016 10:22AM

Cuba libre.

Rum in coke. Haven't had it since high school graduation.

I'm legal age now. Maybe I'll make one :)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 11, 2016 10:52AM

Hehe.
I've mentioned my liking of San Miguel to some Americans, who are shocked, dismissing it as "watered down." I have to tell them that I'm referring to the Visayan version, where it's more full-bodied :)

My favorite? Gee...I like a good cold beer, mostly lagers and Hefeweizens. I like a good cold chardonnay. I like champagne (actual champagne being the best, not the California knock-offs). Not much of a fan of room-temp red wines. Of course, a good scotch on the rocks, well, rocks.

But silly as it is, my absolute favorite: Bailey's Irish Creme. In iced coffee, with vodka and Kahlua, or straight on the rocks...it's smooth, comforting, velvety, and wonderful.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 11, 2016 11:15AM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But silly as it is, my absolute favorite:
> Bailey's Irish Creme. In iced coffee, with vodka
> and Kahlua, or straight on the rocks...it's
> smooth, comforting, velvety, and wonderful.

Baileys, on the rocks, is my favorite opera intermission go to. It makes a memorable night special!

Oh, and so much for you liking coffee like you like your men--strong and black--strong and black with a shot of cream! Bad Boner, Bad Boner, I need to be punished.

Date: October 11, 2016 11:42AM

BYU Boner Wrote:
> Oh, and so much for you liking coffee like you
> like your men--strong and black--strong and black
> with a shot of cream! Bad Boner, Bad Boner, I
> need to be punished.

Bailey's is the only exception, and it only goes in iced coffee -- never the hot stuff.
But I know you enjoyed writing "shot of cream." :)

Date: October 11, 2016 02:06PM

Hey Boner! My wife is not much of a drinker but loooooves Bailey's in coffee. A couple years age on Christmas Eve day, a pal brought a bottle under his coat to morning coffee.....we pretty much used up the bottle that morning.

RB

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 11, 2016 06:44PM

Ron, I've been know to have a shot of Bailey's in my coffee around my wife's TBM family. They already look down on my for the java, so why not!

Your wife has good tastes!

Date: October 12, 2016 12:22AM

Anything that annoys TBM'S is goal worthy of pursuing. I wa at a wedding reception once where there were alot of TBMs who knew me. They were giving me the stinkeye as I was enjoy my rum and Coke and I was giving them my "FUCK YOU" glare. It was a good time!

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: October 11, 2016 11:11AM

1. Beer

2. Brandy

3. Whiskey

4. Wine

Not a fan of mixing anything with it.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: October 11, 2016 11:14AM

Jameson Caskmates
Forty Creek Barrel Select
Menage a Trois Silk

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: October 11, 2016 11:15AM

Beer: Anything that is not watered down to Utah's stupid 3.2% requirement. In other words, anything smuggled into Utah.

Wine and Liquor: Anything that is purchased outside of Utah and smuggled in (and thus avoiding the stupid 86% Utah markup).

Posted by: Sperco ( )
Date: October 11, 2016 01:54PM

Utah beer is 4% and that is only at the grocery stores. You can get any % beer, including Utah craft beers at the liquor store.

Posted by: happydecemberween ( )
Date: October 14, 2016 06:05PM

True, although it's ridiculously overpriced there. It is the only place I've been able to find my favorite beer though, Spaten Oktoberfest.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 11:37PM

how does 3.2 = 4 ?

is this mormon math ?

Date: October 23, 2016 06:21PM

We've got some 12% beer up here...yum

Date: October 23, 2016 06:24PM

The craft beer craze is running amok here like everywhere else, so I attempt to sample the all. We have a college in Alberta with a brewmaster program. All those craft and microbreweries need brewmasters and we're cranking them out.

RB

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: October 11, 2016 01:20PM

Still swooning over Hendrick's Gin...

Also, because Oktoberfest I'm enjoying Warsteiner Pilsener these days.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: October 11, 2016 01:22PM

Beer: It depends, when it's hot outside, I like a nice lager, but other times I like Newcastle.

I also like to have a rum and Coke on occasion, or even a gin and tonic.

As for wines, I like mostly reds, but white wines I like are the ones that aren't overly dry.

Posted by: brianberkeley ( )
Date: October 11, 2016 01:27PM

Kolob kababayan,

I'm pleased you understand about San Miguel. Have you been by the huge plant in Mandaue, Cebu malapit sa the bridge from Lapu Lapu.

Date: October 11, 2016 06:40PM

brianberkeley Wrote:
> Kolob kababayan,
>
> I'm pleased you understand about San Miguel. Have
> you been by the huge plant in Mandaue, Cebu
> malapit sa the bridge from Lapu Lapu.

Oo. Free samples na lang! Well, for us Joes, anyway...:)

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: October 11, 2016 01:29PM

So many! So many!!! OK, German Hefeweizen beer, Guiness, Silver Oak cabernet, Irish Mist, Lagavulin single malt, Strongbow cider

Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: October 11, 2016 01:36PM

I really like the Smirnoff malt beverages when I can afford such a luxury.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 11, 2016 04:56PM

I like those too katvicky. I like stuff that doesn't really taste like booze. I'm pretty lame.

Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: October 11, 2016 08:34PM

You are not lame. Personally, I am not a big drinker and I really hate the smell and taste of beer and so broke that I can't afford to buy alcohol.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 11, 2016 05:08PM

Mead: Grandpa raised bees

Applejack: other Grandpa had an apple orchard

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: October 11, 2016 05:13PM

Like.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 11, 2016 05:25PM

Straight bourbon

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: October 11, 2016 05:29PM

I'm in love with grapefruit infused vodka (preferably Deep Eddy) mixed with pamplemousse (grapefruit) St. Croix sparkling water. Add a wedge of lime and you got yourself a sexy cocktail.

Posted by: contrarymary ( )
Date: October 13, 2016 07:40PM

That sounds really good. I'm going to try that. Deep Eddy makes a delicious lemon infused vodka too.

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: October 11, 2016 05:34PM

Pumpkin beer that I have to wait a whole year for, then it's gone.its very seasonal.I also like heifeweissen with a lot of banana in it.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: October 11, 2016 05:36PM

Cold Coors beer

7-7

Posted by: CTRringturnsmyfingergreen ( )
Date: October 11, 2016 06:29PM

Bourbon - Blanton's

IPA - Pliney, Union Jack, Dog Fish Head

Wine - Pinot

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: October 11, 2016 07:42PM

Near Beer.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 11, 2016 07:46PM

Wine. My go-to is Chardonnay, but I also like Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Gris/Grigio. As for reds, I favor Pinot Noir, Merlot, and good-quality Cabernet Sauvignon.

Posted by: ec1 ( )
Date: October 11, 2016 08:30PM

New favorite is a Scooby Snack

Posted by: Mr. Peabody ( )
Date: October 12, 2016 05:44AM

I like Nik-L-Nips. Those little wax bottles filled with fruit juice. But, then again, I'm not a pretentious fuck trying to prove I'm not something.

Posted by: josephbworthless ( )
Date: October 12, 2016 12:12PM

I've explored everything, and I've landed on Bud Light draft. To me, there's nothing better. Funny eh?

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: October 12, 2016 01:16PM

Hard to beat an ice cold bud light on a hot day.

Posted by: New Belgium ( )
Date: October 14, 2016 05:26AM

Right. "Bud Light" draft. Stick a bottle of carbonated water up your ass and then fart into it. Drink it up. There's "Bud Light."

Posted by: josephbworthless ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 06:14PM

Excuse me?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 06:38PM

To each his own. When I lived in Colorado, we used to call Coors Light "Colorado Kool Aid." When I attended CU, Coors was served at the stadium on game days. And yes, we enjoyed it just fine. Nothing like sitting in a stadium on a lovely fall day, with the Rockies as your backdrop, drinking a cold one.

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: October 12, 2016 01:12PM

Hard stuff: Cuba Libre (rum & coke), gin & tonic, Bourbon rocks, aƱejo Tequila, Scotch not so much.
Wine: Riesling, Liebfraumilch, merlot, zinfandel, malbec
Beer: Dos Equis Amber, local craft beers

Their-all-good-my-favorite-is-whatever-I'm-drinking-at-the-time-ly yrs, S

Posted by: newlifenow ( )
Date: October 12, 2016 01:48PM

1. Beer All of them. Ales, Lagers, IPAs, locals, foreigns

Just give me something I've never tried before.

I like to try new ones and read about them on beeradvocate.com. Its like a little visit to cities all over the world. There's just something cool about the whole process of brewing and selecting ingredients, and the history of some of these beers and their brewers is fascinating.

2. Gin & Tonic
3. Whisky and Ginger Ale

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 13, 2016 07:27PM

I am intrigued by the notion that were it not for beer/wine, humans might have had a struggle transitioning from hunter/gatherer to agriculture. Can we all drink to that?

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: October 12, 2016 07:46PM

Lots of experienced drinkers here. I'm a piker.

Just tried vodka and orange juice, and a very little champagne. I didn't like the carbonation of the champagne, nor its bitter taste. (Threw the rest out the window when no one was looking.)

But I liked the vodka and o.j. just fine--until someone kept filling my glass while I just sat in my chair, enjoying the company.

Then I got up to join a friend across the room, and found I couldn't quite make a bee-line toward where she stood--I bumped into a chair. This really startled me, and I hated not being in control of myself. Also, my friend was all wobbly and silly--she couldn't make it to the bathroom without my help.

So, (after the big trip to the br), I took her to the kitchen, and made her eat a piece of bread (we hadn't had anything to eat). After this, we just watched a man sitting at the dinning room table, who showed us card tricks and how to mystify others (he was a dealer from Los Vegas).

This was the end to drinking career, but I did try a few card tricks with friends, to mystify them as to how good I seemed to be with winning at cards. (Very minor stuff.)

Posted by: reprobate21 ( )
Date: October 13, 2016 12:19PM

Off topic? Freedom from judgement is wonderful. Love wine and coffee.(not together)

Posted by: newlifenow ( )
Date: October 13, 2016 07:16PM

^
| This

Yes! The thing I love THE MOST about alcohol is that feeling of finally not doing what some idiot tells me to do. I feel it every time. And love it!

Posted by: mjolnir ( )
Date: October 13, 2016 07:45PM

Bourbon: Four Roses single barrel or Rowan's Creek.

Scotch: Lagavulin 16 or Laphroaig 10.

Posted by: paintinginthewin ( )
Date: October 14, 2016 01:38AM

Pinot Nero / Pinot noir

Posted by: Imbolc ( )
Date: October 14, 2016 08:08PM

Lemoncello, tonic water, and triple sec. Mighty tasty. But I'm always experimenting, so my favorite changes all the time.

Posted by: jimbo ( )
Date: October 14, 2016 08:31PM

hoppy IPA beer, gin and tonic ,Irish coffee, mudslide (equal parts vodka Kalua milk Irish cream shaken poured over ice) and a "House Call" Dr Pepper an vanilla vodka

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 08:03PM

If I know I don't have to drive.

Posted by: butterfly48 ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 09:49PM

Paloma!! Grapefruit, lime, soda, and silver patron with a lime garnish.......smack on the counter to get some fizz and enjoy......and be careful......

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 10:11PM

It depends on what time it is, what the season is, what I am eating, who I am with, and If I want to get plastered.

Rum, Brandy, Whiskey, Scotch, or surprisingly Tequila are all wonderful neat. Some do well with ice others with water. Most important is the quality of ingredients. Spend some money (for the most part) and get an exceptional experience.

You can go wrong with beer but you can go so very right.

I love iced tea and Vodka

I don't know to me it is like gelato. It is all tasty, some better than others. Some downright amazing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.