Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: crunchynevmo ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 12:54PM

Hey all....I enjoy treating my mormon neighbor's kids with gifts for Birthdays and Christmas but have always avoided giving cash or gift cards. Not wanting to chance them being forced to pay tithing on it. Now that they are getting older, I would love to just give them a visa gift card or cash so they can buy something for themselves.

What has been your experience? Is it common for mormon kids to pay tithing on cash/gift cards? I'm finding differing views online so thought I'd come to the experts.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: yorkie ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 01:26PM

Nobody will give a definitive answer, but will usually imply paying on absolutely everything.
Depends on the family usually.
Many years ago I read Mark E Petersen's biography, it said that if he was given a gift of anything he'd estimate the value of it and pay tithing on it accordingly. Even being TBM at the time I thought that was very extreme and crazy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2016 01:27PM by yorkie.

Date: October 23, 2016 02:43PM

some of the opinions i read online seemed pretty extreme and crazy. lots of folks thought better to over tithe then take the chance of short changing god. ugh!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 01:29PM

Could you touch on this idea with them using another context to find out?

Date: October 23, 2016 02:44PM

Not a bad idea. I'll give it some thought. thanks.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 01:36PM

After all, it's not a Barnes & Noble gift card, it's GOD'S Barnes & Noble gift card, and they're just giving 10% back to Him.

Isn't God wonderful?

Posted by: just sayin ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 01:37PM

If you use gift certificates, you can usually specify (or the certificate already does) that it cannot be exchanged for cash.

Some gift cards specify this as well. Won't be a Visa, but say it's for Wally World - they use the card for necessities/other, frees their own tithed cash for "gift" purchase. At least you know your funds didn't go directly to mind control.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 01:49PM

Just FYI, a survey revealed about 40% of gift cards are never redeemed. Some are very hard to redeem without spending up or losing half the value. Gift stuff or gift green is my motto.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 03:23PM

"a survey revealed about 40% of gift cards are never redeemed"

I can send the missionaries over!

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 04:59PM

The extortion over rides all. PAY UP.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 05:20PM

A gift card would be preferred over cash if you're wondering about whether they'll tithe on it or not.

At least the value of the card is a retail value for goods, not cash.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 07:26PM

I was a good little Molly-Mo in those days, and was all set to write a check for one-tenth of it to the church.

Wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles. . .My BIC DH stopped me. I'm sure he gave some reason for this, but I have forgotten it. Ultimately, that money bought us not only the van that we needed for our large family, but a garage to keep it in.

Some time after that, my own apostasy kicked in, and I'm so glad that DH's common sense prevailed. I know that my mother would have been pissed if we had just handed over 1/10 of what she left to us.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 09:15PM

My aunt used to give us $11.11 for our birthdays

$10.00 for us. $1.00 tithing on the $10.00 then 10 cents tithing on the dollar and the penny was the tithe on the dime.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: October 24, 2016 12:14AM

Heartless Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My aunt used to give us $11.11 for our birthdays
>
> $10.00 for us. $1.00 tithing on the $10.00 then 10
> cents tithing on the dollar and the penny was the
> tithe on the dime.

Huh? She thought you should tithe on the money you TITHE on and then the extra penny to tithe on ten % of the tithing already paid? Was she a nut? It's still nice that she gave you the money to tithe rather than having your parents expect you to tithe one dollar of a ten-dollar gift, but this is kooky. Chances are that she tithed on the money before you ever gave it to you, anyway.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: October 24, 2016 12:41AM

It's dimes all the way down.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.