Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: paulk ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 01:50PM

Our high counselor spoke. He said he did a personal study, and 200 callings are needed to staff a well-functioning ward.

When in the world did a "simple" message become so complicated?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 01:56PM

Here's a simple reply: no.

"Brother getbusylivin, we need you to--"

"No."

"But what about--"

"No."

"But you should--"

"No."

"The church wants you to--"

"No."

"Heavenly Father is asking you to--"

"No."

"The youth of our ward need you to--"

"No."

"As your bishop I'm telling you to--"

"No."

"As your stake president I'm suggesting that you--"

"No."

"But what about--"

"No."

"But--"

"No."

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 02:14PM

Eliminate the wasted time of trying to cover and man programs no one wants or needs.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 07:42PM

No no no! Fewer meetings means all sorts of unstructured time to think about things and to do things YOU want to do and to run into "other" kinds of people. That is almost certainly NOT going to be FAITH promoting.

Posted by: alaskawild ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 02:20PM

I attended several large mid singles wards in the Salt Lake Area. Many of those large wards had 800+ members on the rolls. It was hilarious and silly at the same time to watch the bishopric, every sunday, get up and announce new callings. They were creating callings out of thin air. Because their mindset was, give people callings to give them a purpose. It was comical to hear some of the titles they would assign.

Sister Smith has been called to the charitable service committee number 3

Brother Hales has been called as an assistant to the FHE activity committee number 2

Sister Faust has been called to the social networking committee number 7.

Many of these wards have 3-4 full elders quoroms and up to 6 different relief society groups.

Posted by: Resmar ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 04:13PM

The phenomenon you describe is doing a lot to hurt TSCC. I spent part of my mission in a barely functional ward which could hardly fill callings. However, about 10 very active 20-somethings lived in that ward's boundaries but attended the local singles ward. Had those YSA members attended the regular ward, they could have made a HUGE difference. Instead, they were probably getting dissatisfied with silly callings, while the other ward was languishing.

Date: October 23, 2016 07:48PM

They need to just create a new calling of "get married" (or "shack up - whatever!) and clear out some of those pews!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 04:19PM

The last ward I was in had plenty of members, just not enough recommend holding men. They had to have a high priest be the EQ president for a year until someone else moved in that could fill the job. The bishop was 78 years old, and his counselors weren't much younger.

Posted by: Bicentennial Ex ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 04:21PM

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 04:23PM

Anti-Masturbation Patrol President and two counselors and a secretary.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 07:48PM

Only good feelings must exist in the circle.

Posted by: JVN087 ( )
Date: October 24, 2016 11:26AM

oh the implications of circles and mastrubation

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 24, 2016 11:51AM

Now, now... Let no one be a jerk, lest the spirit leave us...

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 04:36PM

Worst possible:

Sacrament Meeting greeter -- ya' know, the guy that shakes everybody's hand as they file into the chapel.

Date: October 23, 2016 07:52PM

Sounds like the official germ spreader!

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: October 24, 2016 10:11AM

I am a ward greeter and it is the BEST job. One hour once a week.
Of course I can neither confirm nor deny the masturbation part.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 04:53PM

It would be interesting to compare that figure with how many staff members and volunteers it takes to run any other Christian church. My guess based on a quick online perusal is 5-6 paid positions for an average mainstream church with a 40-45% volunteer rate for the members. It's important to remember that volunteering for a mainstream or independent church could represent only an intermittent commitment such as serving at a church supper or running a booth at a church bazaar.

Posted by: what's in a name? ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 04:58PM

The average ward outside of the Intermountain West has only 140-170 members in attendance on any given Sunday. This includes children so you only have around 50-80 adults to fill those 200 callings.

Posted by: Shinehahbeam ( )
Date: October 24, 2016 11:38AM

That's what I was thinking. Even in Utah, any ward with 200+ active adults would be split before long. According to this guy's personal study, he must conclude that 95% of the wards in the entire "church" are not "well-functioning".

Posted by: beforeIleft ( )
Date: October 24, 2016 11:42AM

When I quit the church, I was EQP. I also worked with the boy Scouts. My wife was serving as a YW's counselor (and had been RSP while I was EQP before we complained enough to get her "released" to an easier calling."

I'm from the Midwest: we normally had 4-6 callings between the two of us.

exhausting.

So glad I'm done.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: October 24, 2016 12:14PM

How many visiting teachers are in a ward? How many home teachers? One upon a time a was one of many visiting teacher supervisors and my job was to make sure that the visits get done. I only called once at the end of the month and only about 50% of the people on my lists did a few visits. Relief Society president said that I should be more firm to get more visits done and I explained that I do not feel right about it as everybody is very busy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.