Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 01:44PM

I saw a film a college class. The premise was that what happened to you (and your world) at 10 years old set your world view for the rest of your life.

Did anybody see that film? Can't bring it up on Google. It was in a business class - how to relate to different generations...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 01:52PM

In Erikson's theory of psychosocial development.

http://www.simplypsychology.org/Erik-Erikson.html

"Children are at the stage (aged 5 to 12 yrs) where they will be learning to read and write, to do sums, to do things on their own. Teachers begin to take an important role in the child’s life as they teach the child specific skills.

It is at this stage that the child’s peer group will gain greater significance and will become a major source of the child’s self esteem. The child now feels the need to win approval by demonstrating specific competencies that are valued by society, and begin to develop a sense of pride in their accomplishments.

If children are encouraged and reinforced for their initiative, they begin to feel industrious and feel confident in their ability to achieve goals. If this initiative is not encouraged, if it is restricted by parents or teacher, then the child begins to feel inferior, doubting his own abilities and therefore may not reach his or her potential.

If the child cannot develop the specific skill they feel society is demanding (e.g. being athletic) then they may develop a sense of inferiority. Some failure may be necessary so that the child can develop some modesty. Yet again, a balance between competence and modesty is necessary. Success in this stage will lead to the virtue of competence."

The film may be on to something.

Date: October 23, 2016 02:13PM

Just looked up the professor - he's dead.

Wish I could see that movie again. It was spot on for my whole family.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 23, 2016 05:24PM

Dr. Albert Schweitzer believed that a child's most formative years were between 7-14 years of age. Whatever happened during those years would set the stage for the person's life.

I'm not aware of a movie you're asking about. Would be interested to watch it if you find the link/or title for it.

Date: October 24, 2016 12:39PM

I knew I should have saved some of that college stuff.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.