Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 01:25PM

My wife was trying to translate recipes from a Croatian facebook page to US English and whatever she did ended up making Croatian Cyrillic the default language on Google Chrome. So when I try to get into Chrome settings it's all in Cyrillic and I can't seem to get back to English in the background. Pages open and are automatically translated into English but trying to navigate to get back is beyond frustrating. I've done a system restore to before she fucked it up to to no avail. Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

RB

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 02:00PM

Try watching this video Ron. You'll go into advanced settings. Best wishes!

https://youtu.be/9oFJEU7QzGs

Date: October 22, 2016 02:53PM

Been watching tutorials for 2 days, Boner. Problem is when I try and open any window to try and get to settings, the script is all Cyrillic and the order of commands on the window doesn't correspond to any of the settings pages on the tutorials. Even tried uninstalling Chrome and can't even get that right as all the sub commands are unintelligible. Buddy of mine is coming out in a couple days and we'll see if some of my wife's scrumtious Hungarian cabbage rolls and some good scotch gets us any closer to a solution.

RB

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 02:00PM

ti si pijan ~ LOL

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 02:01PM

O čovječe, ti doista pijan! Ona je samo morati učiti hrvatski!

Date: October 22, 2016 02:06PM

There are three dots at the far top right, in a vertical row...

Click on the three dots and the second to the last word is 'settings', click on it

Then on the next screen, go to 'keyboard settings', which is on the second line with shaded, boxed frames, it's the second shaded framed box, click on it.

in the resulting little box, the very bottom hyperlink is 'languages', click on it and hope like crazy that 'English' is an available choice...

Date: October 22, 2016 02:10PM

tvoja majka nosi borbene čizme u krevetu!!!

Date: October 22, 2016 02:13PM

Rekla je da ih je dobio od vas! Tata!!!

Date: October 22, 2016 02:46PM

No need to shout, Bro. I told you I had fetish gear!

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 03:46PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are three dots at the far top right, in a
> vertical row...
>
> Click on the three dots and the second to the last
> word is 'settings', click on it
>
> Then on the next screen, go to 'keyboard
> settings', which is on the second line with
> shaded, boxed frames, it's the second shaded
> framed box, click on it.
>
> in the resulting little box, the very bottom
> hyperlink is 'languages', click on it and hope
> like crazy that 'English' is an available
> choice...
================================================
DID THIS WORK??????

Inquiring minds want to know!!!!

Posted by: suggestion ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 05:57PM

Two programs, and one may be on your pc.

1) Any browser other than chrome. You probably have another browser.

2) From that browser, download and install CCleaner from Piriform com.

3) From that browser, download chrome, but don't install it yet.

Close your browsers.

Unistall chrome using ccleaner, then let it clean up your pc and registry.

Reboot your pc, and install chrome.

Btw, to make downloads easy to find, make a special folder in your documents file.

Whole operation should take no more than 15 minutes.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 06:29PM

Two of my grandparents were from Slavic countries, so, as a nod to getting in touch with my roots, I taught myself the Cyrillic alphabet. I was surprised by two discoveries. A large chunk of the Cyrillic alphabet is basically Greek alphabet. A lot of words, once you can sound them out, have recognizable roots. This is especially true of technical words.

I changed the default language on my system to Russian once just for giggles. I was able to figure out commands I didn't Recognize outright, from the context in which they appeared. The keyboard was my biggest problem.

None of this helps with your Croatian problem. Just thought I'd share. Anyone thinking of learning to read Cyrillic, it's not that hard. Knowing what the words mean is a challenge!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 22, 2016 06:52PM

Here's my best shot at it:

1. Click on the three dots on the upper right-hand corner.

2. Click on "Postavke" (Settings, should be the third word from the bottom)

3. Click on blue hyperlink on the bottom (Show advanced settings) It will be something like, "Prikaži napredne postavke",

4. Under "Jezici" (Languages) click the gray tab. It might say something like, "Postavke jezika i unosa".

5. A box will open up. Click "English" or if necessary, the gray tab on the bottom left, "Dodati" (Add.)

BTW, my Polish/Russian grandmother's stuffed cabbage was to die for. My mom inherited her recipe. Grandmother's secret was Campbell's tomato soup. I kid you not. lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2016 07:26PM by summer.

Date: October 22, 2016 08:00PM

Thank you!

Date: October 22, 2016 08:12PM

Tried to use your info....none of the words matched what was on the settings/tools page...so don't know what eastern European language it is. I tried to copy and print your instructions but all the backgound language is Cyrillic. This is beginning to feel like the computer version of the old Brit TV show "The Prisoner".
A pal of mine is gonna come out to the farm in a couple days and try and figure it out.
On the topic of cabbage rolls, my wife's recipe is 60% beef-40% pork, onions, secret spices and LOTS and LOTS of genuine Hungarian sweet paprika. All stacked in a roaster and covered in Campbells tomato soup and slow cooked for 3+ hours. We make 100 at a time. They are our soul food.

RB

Date: October 22, 2016 09:13PM

Ron, I'm willing to try again if we can figure out the language. I don't think it's Croatian. Maybe Serbian?

Here's a Wiki page on languages that use the Cyrillic alphabet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrillic_script

"Settings":

Поставке (Serbian)

Postavke (Bosnian)

Настройки (Bulgarian)

Параметры (Russian)

Параметри (Ukrainian)

Anything look close? I'm starting to think Bulgarian.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2016 09:16PM by summer.

Date: October 22, 2016 09:23PM

Close but no cigar although Russian, Serbian and Bulgarian are close.

RB

Date: October 22, 2016 09:36PM

Can you do a copy paste of whatever you have?

Date: October 22, 2016 09:43PM

copy it and then paste it into an email to yourself and then you'll be able to work with it off your computer...

Date: October 22, 2016 09:47PM

When I attempt to copy and paste the prompts come up in the foreign language. Feeling a bit bamboozled.

RB

Date: October 22, 2016 10:06PM

The list we need to see is the list of languages that comes up when you click on 'keyboard' and then on 'chose a language'; one of those is probably English. That list of languages is very populated on my list, just English, English (United States) & Espanol (Mexico).

I still think you can do it 'positionally' and not by reading the language.

click on the three dots, then click on 'settings' which is the second from the bottom. That will open up a window in which 'shadowed' boxes are seen. You want to click on the second 'shadow box' on the second row, the one with four shadow boxes showing.

When you click on that second shadow box on the second line of shadow boxes, it takes you to a window that has two blue text hyperlinks. You want to click the bottom one, to change language. When you click on the second hyperlink, it shows you the current language being used and the available languages. The current language is the one that's highlighted.

Apparently 'English' is written in the other language, but it's likely that there are only three languages on that list. English will be the one with a word or a couple of words in parentheses, because it's a translation of "English (United States). click on what we hope is English (United States) and then click the little box at the extreme bottom right, which in English says 'done'.

I'll pray for you...

Date: October 22, 2016 08:19PM

The phrase/word that shows up in the top left tab when I open Chrome is (can't type Cyrillic characters): Hoba Kaptanua
The "N" is reversed in the second word and the U has a tail. Anybody know what language that is? Many thanks for all your help.

RB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2016 08:26PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Date: October 24, 2016 08:59PM

FIXED! Buddy of mine came out for supper and we were able to re-install English as the default language....and then congratulated ourselves with scrumtious beef stew and dumplings chased with strawberry pie some Straithisla 12 Year Old Single Malt!

RB

Posted by: Red Ryder ( )
Date: October 25, 2016 09:56AM

Why didn't you just put your head in a hat, Ron?

Date: October 25, 2016 10:14AM

Damn!...never thought of that....woulda saved a lot of time....my bad!

RB

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.