Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 27, 2016 11:43AM

I was shocked that even my elderly extremely TBM parents admitted recently that they are aware the Mormon church is hemorrhaging members, including the SP's, bishops, and higher ups. They are aware of the DNA and have joined the discussions of where the BoM took place and who are the "others." My mother is concerned with Joseph's polygamy and shenanigans, but accepts it as God's will. The various of versions of the first vision don't even raise a red flag. My 89 year old father recently learned of the second anointing and is troubled by it, but, they are not worried because Satan using partial truths to confuse us "was prophesied by Joseph to be the case in the last days." The fact that the chosen are falling away in droves only makes them more determined to endure to the end until rigor mortis is the last thing clenching their arthritic hands to the iron rod.

People leaving the church is proof the church is true!

I realized at once the phrase, "This was prophesied . . " was an inoculation against the truth. And then I realized how many similar phrases are fed to the sheep constantly as booster shots to keep them immunized.

The Mormon Playbook:

"Satan is so clever he can deceive even the very elect."

"Heavenly Father does not want us to delve into the mysteries."

"Be in the world but not OF the world."

"Only Mormons know true joy and happiness."

"It will all be explained in the hereafter."

"Avoid even the appearance of evil."

"Doubt your doubts."

"Endure to the end."

"Heavenly father has a plan for you and the things you find extremely trying in life are your special challenge to prove yourself."

"You chose your challenges in the pre-existence."

And now I see the worst of these is indeed, "Joseph prophesied that many would fall away in the last days." It is the catch-all that makes people stay no matter what facts, knowledge, suspicion, and reason they must bury or ignore in order to hang onto that rod.

For some Mormons I think facts don't matter, truth does not matter, because the indoctrination is so complete that they are "in it to win it" at any cost. Our competitive nature is being used as a cult tactic.

For some, it is only about being the "last man standing?"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CTRringturnsmyfingergreen ( )
Date: October 27, 2016 11:52AM

The last one is stupid beyond all comprehension. Imagine a top 1% valiant spirit in the pre-existence saying, "Ok, lord. I choose to go to Africa, be born to a mother with AIDS, be in the excruciating throes of hunger my entire life, have my clitoris mangled when I'm of age, and never know a moment's peace all my life, and never hear of the one and only true gospel, and die with no record of my life so nobody can ever be baptized in my name. Thank you lord for giving me this loving, amazing choice. I say these things in the name of jesus christ, amen."

Posted by: Shinehahbeam ( )
Date: October 27, 2016 04:21PM

"Joseph prophesied that many would fall away in the last days."

Joe was telling people 180 years ago that they were living in the last days. The very early "church" was full of people that were expecting the second coming any day. When he "prophesied" of apostasy proceeding the second coming, he was talking about people that were already abandoning him in Kirtland because of polygamy and the "anti-banking co." scandal. He was trying to scare people then and there into falling in line.

You might mention to your folks that Joe was really just referencing Bible verses that warn of apostasy in the last days. The verse most commonly referenced, Matthew 24:24, specifically mentions the elect being deceived by false prophets. Ask them if they think that better describes you or themselves.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 27, 2016 07:14PM

Yeah. Joseph's prophesies were all about his own times and were just ways to manipulate people. He prophesied in 1835 that the second coming was in 56 years. Nothing happened in 1891 and the Mormons didn't care. I'm sure the "white horse" prophecy and the constitution dangling from a thread were related to Joe's own run for presidency. "You're tired of our spitoons in the temple, Emma? Well, God revealed he doesn't want you to drink hot drinks any more. It's a revelation!"

But, I won't be telling this to my parents. I just listen and smile and offer a few easy questions. I just want to enjoy them as much as possible for what is left. It's just that the "it was prophecied" clause carries so much weight like a Get Out of Jail Free card that at this point I find it amusing.

How many centuries can the "last days" concept last before we finally get to the sell-by date?

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 27, 2016 05:14PM

"Gospel rolling forth and covering the Earth"

"Many will fall away"

All bases covered...

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 27, 2016 06:38PM

Yep!

They have double-speak for everything!

They have a pre-conceived conclusion, and every scenario is "interpreted" to fit it.

It seems like any intelligence they have is used to creatively rationalize any fact to fit the conclusion.

They have a lot invested (as many of us did). It takes a lot of courage to admit your whole life was based on a folly and start over. :-)

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: October 27, 2016 07:33PM

If anybody asks--they rarely do anymore--I tell them I've fallen away! Then I resume doing whatever it was I was doing before I was so rudely interrupted.

If people want to believe that my apostasy is the work of Satan, that's okay with me. If they want to believe that, any day now, big wet turds the size of elephants will start falling from the sky, I'm totally okay with that. If they want to gather together in their (shrinking) groups and sing praises to celestial daddies, I would only caution them not to sing too energetically, as they might strain their vocal cords. This is especially true as we head into winter and there's often a chill in the air.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 27, 2016 09:33PM

"You chose your challenges in the preexistence." Wow, this would make a dandy conference talk! Let's see which one of the GAs would be best to present this? I know, let's have Pickles Bednar do this and the camera can focus on his wife rolling her eyes at him.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.