Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 30, 2016 02:04PM

I'm unsure whether our neighborhood hobgoblins will be out tonight on a Sunday because tomorrow is a school night.

Often they'll come on a Friday night if Halloween's on a Saturday. Or Saturday, if say it's on a Sunday.

There's no official word. I bought a ton of Halloween candy. Whether tonight or tomorrow it's all the same to me.

As soon as the candy runs out, it will be gone! Unless of course I make another run to the store ...

;))

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: October 30, 2016 02:15PM

We are doing all our Halloween festivities tomorrow.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: October 30, 2016 02:19PM

Amyjo- you must not live in Utah. First- Halloween is Monday. Most normal places will do trick or treat on Monday night.
Second- and most important, in Utah NOTHING happens on Sunday except for church stuff. Here in Utah, if the 4th of July falls on a Sunday, it's celebrated on Saturday. If Halloween was today, it would have been observed yesterday. Christmas is celebrated a day early if it lands on Sunday. The rest of the world observes holidays/birthdays/memorials on the day that they are. In Utah, if they fall on Sunday, they're moved.

Date: October 30, 2016 03:51PM

That does seem pretty absurd, especially for Christmas.

Spent my childhood and youth mostly in the Idaho morridor. Don't remember us doing that when/if X-mas fell on a Sunday.

What I do remember is still being packed off to church, snow or shine. It took an act of God for my parents to stay home from church on a Sunday, for any reason.

We'd get up early on Christmas mornings no matter what day of the week it fell on.

Posted by: neverevermo ( )
Date: October 30, 2016 05:47PM

It's funny that a self-proclaimed god-fearing, patriotic group would move christmas and the 4th of july to suit them...

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: October 31, 2016 11:22AM

all true except for Christmas--that never changes.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 30, 2016 02:23PM

No and no. When I was a kid we went out trick or treating on Sundays if that was the day...and then the evangelicals started shitting in the whole halloween/devil deal and then the not trick or treating on Sunday deal took hold. We live 8 miles outside of the city and haven't had kids here for 20+ years. No more kids in our rural neighborhood.

RB

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: October 30, 2016 02:30PM

Outside of Utah, Halloween is celebrated on the actual date itself, and since the 31st is tomorrow, that's when trick or treating will happen. Even when Halloween falls on Sundays, trick or treating still takes place on Halloween itself, and trick or treating is still a big deal here. Even with the Mormons and some other churches doing trunk or treat events, it hasn't made a dent in how big trick or treating is.

Date: October 30, 2016 02:40PM

Sometimes the timing of Halloween has varied where I live because of inclement weather, in addition to the other factors.

It usually falls on Halloween. Today the sky is overcast and it's cold. It looks like rain is in our forecast.

I just checked the current news to see if it shows when. It's scheduled for tomorrow in my area, with different suburbs and towns setting different times for the trick-or-treaters to be out.

Having raised a family here, was not even aware there were schedules per the towns and villages. The city itself has a curfew in place, where ALL trick-or-treaters must be off the streets no later than 8 pm.

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: October 30, 2016 02:37PM

Generally speaking, not really very much here in England.

In England the kids tend to save themselves for November 5th - Guy Fawkes Night, or Bonfire Night, as it's generally known.

It celebrates the failure of the Gunpowder Plot when Fawkes and associates (though, historically speaking, Guy Fawkes was just a 'fall guy') failed to blow up the Houses of Parliament.

These days, I suspect that not only would Fawkes not have been persecuted but most of the ordinary British public would be only too glad to hand him the matches!

Date: October 30, 2016 02:41PM

Yeah, righto!

:))

Date: October 30, 2016 02:43PM

While at the largest shopping mall on Friday night the store was lit ablaze with trick-or-treaters. Each child's guardian paid $2 per kid to go trick-or-treating throughout the shopping mall.

Maybe that's what threw me off this year.

When my children were that small heck we could go to a shopping mall for free to go trick-or-treat. Looks like those days are gone forever too.

:/

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 30, 2016 02:50PM

Our area had some parties and local businesses doing Trick or Treat on Saturday, which is not uncommon. Most parties are on the weekend.
We expect Trick or Treaters on Monday which is the only real Halloween - Oct 31. The date never changes - just some religious folks won't go out if it falls on a Sunday.
We'll turn on our light, and our flashing pumpkin and hand out goodies probably for about an hour or so is all.
It's been a little rainy and wet here (SHOCK haven't had rain like this in five years). Weather report does not show rain for tomorrow so we'll probably have our usual number of kids, which is not very many.

Date: October 30, 2016 03:12PM

Your region really needs the rain there, SusieQ.

Just not *too* much.

This winter is predicted to be a La Nina winter. After last year's mildest one on the books, and the worst winter on record the year before that, I'm not really sure I want to stick around here to see how bad this La Nina gets.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2016 03:13PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 31, 2016 12:25AM

Amyjo

I'm sure we are all concerned about getting too much rain too fast if and when the rain hits ...seriously.
So far, it's rainy, off and on, misty, and damp but no flooding in my area anyhow. Rain was predicted but didn't get to us. It was nice enough to BBQ!!

Posted by: cwm31s ( )
Date: October 30, 2016 02:58PM

Tomorrow in my region.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: October 30, 2016 03:01PM

Usually do their big party on that Friday or Saturday before Halloween. Even with the heavy Mormon influence here in the Corners, we still celebrate Halloween on the day it falls. I have a big bag of DumDums I'm going to hand out to the children I monitor tomorrow. It's also poetic that BF is dressing up as Hunter S. Thompson and I'm going to be a Maenad.

Date: October 30, 2016 03:10PM

That sounds very poetic, Itzpapalotl.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: October 30, 2016 04:40PM

The idea of something falling on school night usually relates more to whether or not there's school the following day as opposed to whether there was school earlier in the day. Hence, little would be accomplished by moving trick-or-treating from a Monday night to a Sunday night; the children would still have school the next day.

Back in the day when churches (even if not LDS, perhaps a community's council of churches) used to have more say in what went on in a community, sometimes Sunday night trick-or-treating would be moved up to Saturday. There's no longer enough consensus for churches to unilaterally make such decisions.They can choose a night for their own church's trunk-or-treat (one of the most exclusionary practices imaginable in my opinion), but not for when an entire community will trick-or-treat. My mom told me that when she was a kid growing up in southern california, the PTAs of the various schools and districts held quite a bit of power in a community, and would agree upon and delare Saturday nights to be trick-or-treat nights to be on Saturdays when Halloweens fell on Sundays, and everyone went along with it.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: October 30, 2016 05:26PM

Tomorrow, we don't change the day in Minnesota. All costumes must fit over snow suits or winter jackets.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: October 30, 2016 05:36PM

Yes, Utah does move holidays if they happen to fall on a Sunday.

But I was also thinking that Mondays here is "Family Home Evening" so maybe some families will reschedule their FHE to another day this week or they may have done their trick-or-treating last night.

Kids don't come here to the Assisted Living and ring the door bell, so I really have no idea. We did hold a "trunk or treat" here last Thurday evening.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2016 05:36PM by cinda.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 31, 2016 10:39AM

My neighborhood celebrates Halloween on Halloween.
Not on the closest non-Sunday around Halloween.

Go, heathens!

Date: October 31, 2016 11:32AM

I saw on the news this morning how some parents who will be taking their children trick-or-treating in some Florida neighborhoods will be armed with guns to protect themselves from thugs.

I was like, seriously? If they feel that unsafe to be out trick-or-treating then why would they subject their children to that?

Date: October 31, 2016 12:00PM

"Spooked Floridians say they are arming themselves against the threat of creepy clowns this Halloween.

According to media reports, some residents in Brevard County plan to carry guns and other weapons while trick-or-treating on Monday night as protection against the kind of “creepy” or “killer clown” attacks and sightings that have swept the nation in recent months.

“I’ll be carrying for sure, I’m not leaving to chance,” Kimberly Kersey, who planned to take her children trick-or-treating in Palm Bay, told Florida Today. “I’m terrified of clowns already and if one messes with me or my kids it’ll be to the hospital or morgue they go.”

Pam Metz, of Titusville, said she will be “carrying around a bat on Halloween night.”

(Huffington Post)

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: October 31, 2016 01:53PM

I was wondering the same about family home evening. Of course, they can move the time up on it. Areas that still allow trick or treating probably have a curfew now a days. When I was a kid, we'd stay out late, until our bags were full or people ran out of candy. We'd always go to the houses with the good stuff again. Once in a while, we'd get a jerk who'd remember us and not give us anymore.
Some of the past neighbourhood a we lived in banned trick or treating for safety reasons, but they'd always have a nice Halloween party instead, costume prizes, games and all.
We don't have kids in our neighbourhood here.
When we lived on military bases, we'd always have tons of kids, so we'd buy tons of candy. We'd always get our favourites, that way if we had any left over, it'd be something we liked.
We even got dog treats for the dogs who came too

Date: October 31, 2016 03:03PM

I haven't had any dogs show up lol.

That's a cute idea, to have treats for the pooches.

My candy disappeared rapidly last Halloween. I spent at least $40-50 then on Halloween candy. This year I've spent closer to $60. I'm going to turn out my lights when the candy runs out because damn, that's a helluva lot of money for little urchins I don't even know nor will ever see again (until next Halloween!)

On the other hand, it's still fun to see their faces and costumes. Some of their parents are just big kids at heart who go with the littlest ones.

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: October 31, 2016 04:17PM

Yeah, on the military base, a lot of parents would bring the family dog along, for the walk. A lot of them had cute dog costumes or a pair of some kind of ears.
The pet stores sell treats for Halloween.
They even had tiny paper bags to put the treats in.
We'd get about 8 dogs on average.
They'd also have a pool party for dogs every year , before they drained the base pool for the winter.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: October 31, 2016 03:07PM

Down here south of the Equator we're having a big family costume party/contest. I'm going as a witch, assuming I can throw together a couple of believable tits.

My daughter, up in Seattle, is also going to a costume party. Because she is WAY pregnant, she's going as an avocado, which strikes me as brilliant. (The avocado doesn't fall far from the tree, apparently.)

Date: October 31, 2016 03:12PM

I hope there's more to your witch costume than a pair of titties.

You must be going as a sexy witch?

If you go as a warlock you can ditch the boobs.

You're surrounded by women. Borrow a bra that will fit your chest width, and stuff it.

;))

The avocado costume is brilliant! Let's hope the little guacomole isn't ready to make his/her grand entrance before tonight.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 31, 2016 03:24PM

Raining here all day....don't know if that will put a damper on the kids.

Date: October 31, 2016 08:08PM

It was a crisp clear fall evening where I am.

The kids came out in droves. Their parents aren't from our neighborhood. They drive here from the inner city, and scour the streets. Once I ran out of candy I turned out the lights and now am sitting here in the dark with the news on and my laptop.

It's finally starting to get quiet outside (big sighs.)

I considered making another run to the grocery store. But when the hobgoblins are out and about, I don't like backing out of my driveway in the dark, even though it's all well lit, because there's just too many kids running wild.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.