Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 01, 2016 12:05PM

American Crucifixion by Alex Beam...

Tells many more details about the times & events leading up to Joe's untimely death, including how common 'the principal' was among early church leaders and how women were coerced-intimidated into participating.

All in all, a great read!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: westerly62 ( )
Date: November 01, 2016 12:18PM

An interview that John Dehlin did with Alex Beam keeps me from wanting to read that book. Alex was far too apologetic towards Smith, the Church, and Mormonism in general. It was so off-putting to me that I doubt that I'll ever read the thing.

http://www.mormonstories.org/alex-beam-american-crucifixion-the-murder-of-joseph-smith-and-the-fate-of-the-mormon-church/

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 01, 2016 12:48PM

My take on it is that Beam has little sympathy for Joe, he tells readers Joe was coercive & manipulative in his ways, especially with women he wanted to "enjoy" (euphemism for fuck).

Joe was a somewhat benevolent dictator in this book, at least he returned to Nauvoo after fleeing to Iowa ... partly to save the members from a threatened mass annihilation.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.