Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: NNT (not logged in) ( )
Date: October 31, 2016 01:54PM

I served my mission in Mongolia in the late 90's. I'm aware of a handful of those who were there at the same time who have left the church to one degree or another. Curious how many are on this board? I've exchanged emails with GrubbyGert...I know you. I would love to get together with some others.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 31, 2016 02:53PM

Serious questions...

How much culture shock did you go through?

What was the most difficult thing you had to adapt to?

Do you think there is a future for Mormonism in Mongolia?

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: October 31, 2016 03:09PM

OMG, I was sitting here thinking the same thing.

What was that even like? I went to Japan and had more than my share of culture shock, I can't imagine what Mongolia must have been like.

Posted by: NNT ( )
Date: November 01, 2016 07:08PM

It was quite the shock! I was lucky enough to have a good set of companions who helped me ease into the country. It really was a great place, very different from Mormondom.

Date: November 01, 2016 07:17PM

There is a future but only because Mormon missionaries are seen as ambassadors of America.

It is hard to say what the biggest shock was...there were so many. I am tall pale with red hair, I drew a ton of attention in a homogeneous population like Mongolia. It was hard to get used to. Drunks and @#$holes liked to pick on me which was very hard to deal with as a sensitive quiet Mormon kid. The food was a bit tough to deal with as was the idea of "teaching" people about the church.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: October 31, 2016 03:12PM

Weren't you amazed--perhaps in hindsight--how much Mongolians resemble Native Americans?

Honest Lamanite, this picture was taken in Mongolia and not Montana...

http://www.wunderground.com/wximage/viewsingleimage.html?mode=singleimage&orig_handle=habataku&orig_number=916&handle=habataku&number=916&album_id=291#slideanchor

Note to lurking apologists, particularly disciples of Rodney Meldurm: Don't look at this one; it's been known to cause serious cognitive dissonance.

Date: November 01, 2016 07:14PM

I remember sitting at the national opera house watching a Mongolian cultural performance that featured traditional shamanistic dances and singing (free from Chinese influence) and thinking..."Holy crap this is just like the Native American dancing and singing performed by family friends at my Eagle badge ceremony!" One of many things that I experienced on my mission that helped dissuade me from my belief in the historicity of the BOM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2016 07:14PM by NNT.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: October 31, 2016 03:13PM

I saw an episode of House Hunters International where a couple were moving to a city in Mongolia. It was probably the capital. It was a pretty modern, western style city.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: November 01, 2016 06:32PM

They have cities in Mongolia?

Posted by: Maizyday2 ( )
Date: November 01, 2016 06:35PM

I saw that episode, I think. The one I saw was a single guy, not a couple though. I too was surprised at how modern the city was.

Date: November 01, 2016 07:10PM

I saw the same episode...things have changed dramatically since the mid to late 90's. Mongolia as a country suffered quite a bit after the fall of the Soviet Union. The Mongolians themselves embraced Americanism, which is why you see such large conversions relative to the rest of Asia. Mormonism was just disguised Americanism. Things have improved quite a bit!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2016 07:11PM by NNT.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 01, 2016 10:37AM

My family doctor did an 18 month medical mission in Mongolia with his wife. They took care of the missionaries there. He told me the Mongolian people had a pretty tough time getting adequate medical care for themselves compared to what he provided to his missionaries.

RB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2016 11:41AM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Date: November 01, 2016 07:19PM

We were not allowed to go to Mongolian hospitals. When I was there I had some health issues and was allowed to only visit our Dr and then a Korean hospital for follow up blood work. If any medical procedures couldn't be done in the Dr.'s apartment you were sent to Hong Kong or home to the States.

Posted by: MRM ( )
Date: November 01, 2016 04:27PM

Our ward had a sister missionary from Mongolia. Very nice young lady. She went home after about 4 months.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.