Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 01:17PM

I'm new to the service. Seems several news stations are out and I am without anything as it tries to reboot (hours now)

Maybe the news stations have been hacked. Nothing would surprise me right now.

Online comments seem to indicate this is widespread and not uncommon with this company.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 01:42PM

I'll speak up for DirectTV.

I've had DirectTV now for over two years, and consider it a huge improvement to Dish. I had Dish not only in the Pacific NW, but also here in the South. Dish would often lose a whole band of the spectrum, and many channels in a row would go missing. Dish not only went out frequently, but was always involved in snits with various networks. Whenever they had a snit, they would put the whole onus on the viewer by making you miss your favorite programming until you wrote in and complained to the network asking them to give in to Dish. DirectTV has NEVER done that, and has never lost part of the spectrum. When I quit Dish, their personnel harassed me for months. It took two months to get the damned service terminated. They still pester me with twice monthly offers.

Technically they are better, too. Dish required 3 separate feeds on the antenna to produce a hi-def picture. DirectTV requires only one feed.

Service-wise, either is bad. I accidentally drove a pick through my buried DirectTV cable running from the antenna, and spent 45 minutes with a call center in the Philippines arguing against an up-sell of services, stating over and over that I only needed my cable spliced. That was really irritating. On the other hand, it was superior than talking to Dish personnel, who I've found to be hostile.

Date: November 04, 2016 01:52PM

With all the DOS concerns, many commenters are wondering as it started with two major news channels.

Interesting times, that is for sure.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 01:56PM

CNN is off for me too. But it's the only one I see not working. HLN works, and Fox too. What other ones aren't working for you?

Date: November 04, 2016 02:06PM

Well, I tried to get on CNN and it said I needed to subscribe. I am, so it then said to reset the receiver. When I did that, it went through the whole exercise and then got stuck on updating guide and won't exit. Online comments indicate that has happened to anyone doing the reset and directv then came out and said we shouldn't have done the reset...well, duh, the instructions we got was to do so!

So, whatever technical difficulties they are having, a LOT of people are very upset.

It seems that Fox and CNN were the two channels that started this whole mess.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 02:49PM

My CNN is working now.

Date: November 04, 2016 03:31PM

And....we're back!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2016 03:31PM by gemini.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.