Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: levantlurker ( )
Date: November 05, 2016 06:05PM

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/5618-Southfork-Rd_Provo_UT_84604_M23880-13993

I feel that these high-end, real-estate listings are often written to attract wealthy, foreign buyers looking to safely park their cash in America. Just imagine a Saudi playboy, Chinese princeling, or Russian oil baron paying a visit to his latest holding only to find out he bought a palace surrounded by very quirky people ;)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: November 05, 2016 06:51PM

That's a big house. If I, say, inherited it from a rich dead relative I'd sell it right away (the house, not the relative).

I like funky little places. I live amongst a cluster of small apartments in a working-class South American barrio. Like everyone else's our apartment is a cinder-block box. There are dogs and roosters on the rooftops running around the folks hanging out their laundry, there are the scents of fresh bread wafting up from the competing panaderias, the laughter of the high school kids pouring out into the street all the time, the street vendors selling hot dogs and fries to the kids, the indigenous ladies pushing their fruit carts selling mandarinas and papayas, the taxi drivers playing volleyball every Thursday in the park at the end of the block. Occasionally somebody sets off fireworks, or two drunk guys get in a fight, or the peet-peet of the propane truck reminds me that we're almost out of gas. And always there's music coming from somewhere--salsa, reggaeton, bachata, cumbia...

It's gritty and rough-hewn and noisy and sometimes confusing and frequently humbling and often exciting and always interesting. And I paid exactly 1/10 of 1.5% of the asking price of that Utah place for my little heaven on earth.

Posted by: westerly62 ( )
Date: November 05, 2016 09:53PM

Sounds Awesome!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 05, 2016 06:54PM

Wow, that's a high end listing. It does beg the question who would want to spend that much for a millionaire or billionaire to want to live in such lavish surroundings.

It's the height of conspicuous consumption.

I read a study years ago that some of the upper middle class to upper class people of our country prefer to keep a low profile rather than put on public displays of conspicuous consumption. They'd rather make the impression they're middle class or well off without making themselves stand out. Hence they live in regular suburbs, drive cars that aren't necessarily luxury, and keep their assets private.

There's a huge mansion that's been for sale in the St. George area for the last four years. It started out at over $14 million, and last check it's down to app 4 million. It's a grand house, but no one has bought it since it was listed. Why build these monstrosities if they don't sell?

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: November 06, 2016 03:37PM

If you look along the Snake River in Idaho, you'd see such homes. Or mansions. My family lives a few miles away from the Snake. We think the upkeep on those mansions cost a fortune!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 05, 2016 07:03PM

I will state that I genuinely admire the balcony with the grand piano and the curving, open staircase with the magnificent rails. On the other hand, the brook and pond are a little small for water skiing.

Posted by: scotchipman ( )
Date: November 06, 2016 05:10PM

My exact thought, for that much money I want to be able to water ski on my private lake.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: November 05, 2016 07:08PM

It doesn't matter how big/nice it is. It's still in PROVO, UTAH.

People spending 10+ million on a home are going to build a custom home to their tastes. They'll sell it, but for far less than 18 million.

Date: November 05, 2016 07:11PM

Where I live luxury lakefront homes are bought by investors. So says the tour boat guide on a cruise I took this past summer.

They can afford the waterfront estates. The rest of us get to enjoy the riverboat cruises, when it's in the budget lol.

Posted by: that guy ( )
Date: November 05, 2016 09:00PM

multi level marketing paid for this monster..

rumor is he paid over 50 million to build it now its at $39,000,000.00

http://homesoftherich.net/2012/08/businessmans-50000-square-foot-utah-mega-mansion-on-the-market-for-30-million/

This massive approximately 50,000 square foot (some sources say over 60,000 square feet) mega mansion is located at 8272 E Left Hand Fork Hobble Creek N in Springville, UT. It is owned by Tom Mower, the founder of Neways and now owner of Sisel. It was built in 201o, making it one of the largest homes in the country to be built in the last couple of years. It is situated on a vast 75 private acres and is gated. It features 6 bedrooms, 12 bathrooms, imported granite and marble throughout, grand double staircase, gym, home theater, indoor shooting range, indoor basketball court, indoor swimming pool with rock waterfall, 2-lane bowling alley and much much more. It is listed at $30,000,000.

http://www.heraldextra.com/e-left-hand-fork-hobble-creek-springville/article_34190ddb-c5ea-5946-b13e-fafd4b027f24.html

Date: November 05, 2016 09:19PM

This isn't Washington County's most expensive residential property for sale. It is the largest square feet of living space currently on the market, and has been for 4 straight years!

Over 24,000 square feet of living space. The house reminds me a little of what Michael Jackson's Neverland might've been like. He was forced to sell when funds got low. The taxes on this estate alone are over $15,000 per annum.

8 bd & 9 bathrooms; bowling alley; palatial grounds; 2-3 kitchens; 2 laundry rooms; a spa; children's separate indoor play area; gym; conference meeting area; the list goes on.

Featured on HGTV and MTV it's considered the most famous high desert estate currently for sale in southern Utah.

http://www.stgeorge.properties/search/details/jkt/0/

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 05, 2016 10:09PM

I'm glad to have our little snuggle-ry. :)

Posted by: canary21 ( )
Date: November 05, 2016 11:14PM

This is why I like small, decent-sized homes. That is so much wasted space.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: November 06, 2016 02:51AM

Almost 19 million for a nice house on a decent sized chunk of land. (Not a "plot" of land at ~30 acres)

Still for that kind of money, it would be on the beach or in the mountains of a cool mountain town like Vail or Aspen...Not PROVO

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: November 06, 2016 03:06AM

Location? What are they talking about? Provo?

Our house is 20 minutes from Park City, 20 minutes from Brighton, 25 minutes from Alta, 20 minutes from the university, 20 minutes from downtown SLC, 15 minutes from a great hospital, the kids walk to the best schools in SLC, mountains and canyon trails out our back door, and our front living room has a view of the city, and across Great Salt Lake. Our neighbors are 75% not Mormon. Houses and gardens are beautiful, and go with the mountain landscape. Houses are built for sensible humans, and not giants, and not multiple polygamist families with 20 children. Nothing freaky here. Houses are affordable.

The biggest plus about our home is--it is NOT in Provo!

Posted by: builder bob ( )
Date: November 06, 2016 04:09AM

I can't help but admire the setting. The structure was creatively designed and situated to not only blend in to it's surroundings, but to also incorporate the stunning vistas as living art framed in massive windows and stone arches. The result is stunning!

Posted by: Tyrrhenia ( )
Date: November 06, 2016 01:17PM

When money and bad taste meet.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 06, 2016 01:55PM

LOL +10...0

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: November 06, 2016 06:26PM

There are some nice views from some of the windows. But, I have to say, the overall house strikes me as being almost nightmarishly overdone. I can't imagine feeling anything but embarrassed to live in a place like that --- unless you asked about 100 homeless people to move in with you, for free.

Then, maybe, I could justify the place. However, I would still feel queasy every time I looked at the central arches, melting and slumping down into the pool area. It looks like the earth is actively trying to suck the whole thing underground, where it can be better hidden.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 06, 2016 01:41PM

It *does* have a garage for my Tesla, Maserati, and Bentley convertible, but NO chicken coop!

Deal off.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.