Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 02:36PM

Someone actually did a study on this? Really? At what age are you too old to write tripe like this? How old is too old to appoint yourself an expert and tell others how to dress?

I mean, I could forgive a kid still in school who is exploring fashion for writing this, but it stops there.

Jeans are ageless. It's how you wear them no whether you wear them.

I am more concerned about self appointed experts telling the rest of us what is appropriate.

Yours truly, 69 almost 70 and looking damn hot in blue jeans. Well, I think so anyway.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 02:53PM

I love my jeans forever!! What a very stupid "study." Lololol

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 02:53PM

When I was no longer required to wear suits to church, I quit buying dressy clothes.

I have 1 blazer that I bought when I was job hunting 15 years ago and it has been worn maybe 10 times (not all for jobs).

I wear nothing but jeans 99% of the time.

Don't care what anyone says.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 02:57PM

It's pretty sad when a *survey* by a parcel delivery and return service firm, asking Brits how hard they find it to shop for jeans that fit, gets called a "study."

Since it's really no such thing.

Their survey found that a certain percentage of people over age 53 found it hard to find jeans that fit.

That hardly justifies the headline.

Feel free to ignore it and continue to wear jeans, no matter what your age. :)

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 06:22PM

I'm 68 and I wear nothing but jeans. That ain't gonna change. I wore my black ones to that last MORG funeral I went to.

RB

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 11:47PM

OK, but at least change your underwear now and then.

Posted by: lostmypassword ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 12:32AM

Underwear?

Date: November 04, 2016 05:40PM

It's black too!

RB

Posted by: bona dea unregistered ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 06:30PM

I will wear whatever I like, thank you very much.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 06:47PM

That's how I feel as well. Most of the time, I would rather wear jeans when I'm casually dressed.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 06:52PM

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 06:57PM

Are you ever too young to wear a mumu?

Posted by: Princess Telestia ( )
Date: November 08, 2016 04:36PM

Mumus should never be worn in public I feel......

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 07:01PM

Forever in blue jeans ...

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 07:40PM

Thanks--I was trying to remember the words but the tune is running through my head.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 07:14PM

"jeans"? you mean Levi's?

Jeans are tacky, Levi's are cool for any age unless you're over weight in which case, don't wear them.

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 11:01PM

Ok, I have to ask. What's the difference between jeans and Levi's? I mean, all jeans aren't Levi's, but all Levi's are jeans.

Aren't they?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 12:39PM

Regarding the Levis v. generic other jeans, back in the 60s, it HAD to be Levis!

Date: November 04, 2016 12:50PM

Inveterate golfers get along fine without jeans in their wardrobes. I wear golf shorts 24/7.

Date: November 04, 2016 08:34PM

I've been wearing jeans since I was a toddler and have yet to buy a pair of Levis. Always found them overpriced and they don't cater to the big and tall (I'm both) market. What I really hate is fat guys wearing sweats and nothing else...every day. And being uncool is kinda my life in a nutshell and I quit worry about what other people think about decades ago.

RB

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2016 08:37PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 06:02PM

"Jeans are tacky, Levi's are cool for any age unless you're over weight in which case, don't wear them."

Well, I wear size 42/32 jeans, and I'm definitely overweight. But what else am I supposed to wear while I'm spray painting, silk screen printing, doing yard work, home repairs, etc? Should I wear a suit and tie 24/7, like Robert Young did in "Father Knows Best"? I remember a scene where he was painting the kitchen while wearing an apron over his dress shirt and tie.

I wear jeans everywhere but funerals. Occasionally, if I go to meet a new prospective customer, I might wear khakis. In the summer, when we go out to eat or to karaoke or whatever, it's denim shorts and sandals.

I can find blue jeans that fit me just fine at Wal-Mart for $15-$18.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2016 06:04PM by randyj.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 07:17PM

Long pants? Not for much of the year, maybe six to eight weeks. The California tunic is shorts and t shirt. I wear that ten months of the year. That's about the length of our barbecue season as well.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 07:33PM

I never wore jeans from the age of eight to the age of about 62. I now have two pairs which fit fine, especially with my cowboy boots, Stetson, and beard.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 07:45PM

I'm 65 and wear the same size I wore at age 25.

(Pay no attention to the gastric bypass I had six years ago, after which I dropped 10 inches off my waist...)

I plan to keep wearing jeans until at least my 70s. After that maybe I'll switch to ultra-tight yoga pants, just to give the ladies a thrill...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2016 07:47PM by getbusylivin.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 09:07PM

Well tell all those Cowgirls in their 70's out on the range that they need to get out of those jeans right this minute and put on ... well, some other kind of pants. Ya. That is going to happen!!

Jeans have no age limit. Who ever said they did, don't know what they are talking about. I am not going to be drug around by the nose by some fool who things jeans have an age limit! How crazy is that?

I am not skinny anywhere but my wrists and . . . one ankle..:-)... so I don't wear "skinny jeans" but I will wear ladies full cut jeans for comfort and durability as long as I can! They still work great -- wore a tan pair to my 75th birthday party!! And I'll wear a pair to my 80th!
I refuse to be a pawn of some fashion dope telling me what I can and cannot wear!

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 09:14PM

SusieQ#1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well tell all those Cowgirls in their 70's out on
> the range that they need to get out of those jeans
> right this minute and put on ... well, some other
> kind of pants. Ya. That is going to happen!!
>

Exactly. What a dumb survey/"study".

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 09:14PM

My Mom is 88 and she looks amazing in jeans. She weighs 103 lbs, so that may have something to do with it. Even sweatshirts look stylish on her. She just has a very good figure.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 10:02PM

Perhaps a better question would be, "Are your jeans ever too old to wear?" No, like me, jeans get better with age.

Date: November 04, 2016 05:43PM

I wore out lots of pairs of jeans farming, Boner. I always chuckled at discussions where guys would be talking about 20 year old jeans that they never washed in water. WTF? Mine could stand up in the corner by themselves after a week out on the farm.

RB

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 10:04PM

I have told my son, boyfriend, and ex that they are to bury me in a pair of jeans and a turtleneck.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 10:50PM

I try to avoid starting too many off-topic threads (apparently I can be a "troll magnet" fairly often) but that one sent the road rage over the top. I just didn't get around to posting something sufficiently caustic...

For Amyjo and my friend Phantom Shadow...

Sing it again, Neil...

://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQLWF_ItzYs

I pulled it up and put it on my play list last night; I'm a fan of early Neil Diamond stuf--probably my "developmental arrest" since he captured adolescent angst so well--but he's probably dropped off of my top five favorites these days. He's still a great singer and songwriter, however.

SLC
Who does own a pair of cords (the only "casual" alternative, IMO) and a couple of pairs of slacks they could bury me in, but that's all...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2016 10:52PM by SL Cabbie.

Date: November 03, 2016 11:01PM

I seem to remember that jeans were verboten at Ricks back in the 60's. Anybody else wanna weigh in on this? I remember having to buy slacks in Rexburg at Keith's The Man's Shop so I could be "legal".
BTW I have given my wife and children instructions that I am to be planted for the dirt nap in jeans and a T-shirt. It is my uniform.

RB

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: November 03, 2016 11:43PM

Ha-ha! I wore black jeans to a funeral, too, and I'm a woman, but it wasn't a Mormon funeral. I couldn't find any black pants that didn't look dorky. Cotton jeans are cool in the summer, and warm in the winter. Sometimes I wear jeans over ski underwear in cold weather, when I don't want to wear ski pants. I also love my jean-style cords, for a softer look.

Maybe we will stop wearing jeans when we stop moving around. I mean, what else do you wear for gardening, riding horses, hiking, playing with grandchildren, sitting on rocks and splintery logs, doing housework,sitting and bending over.

Date: November 08, 2016 11:49AM

My Mormon funeral attire is black jeans over black boots, a black dress shirt and black tie. A few old TBM's look at me like I'm outta place...fuck 'em.

RB

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 12:16AM

Did anyone read the entire article, the paragraph puts a different spin on the tone of the comments.

"All kidding aside, we believe you should wear what you want and leave the fashion rules to the studies. Godspeed."

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 08:23PM

I read it before it was posted on RfM and the whole thing is fucking asinine, even down to the last line.

And I will continue to wear what I want, regardless of people who criticize a woman for not being a size 6 and wearing leggings/tights.

People should be comfortable to wear what they want regardless of size or age with a few exceptions such as dressing a 6 year old like a stripper or wearing a regular bra with a halter top.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 12:21AM

If I have to stop wearing jeans then what will I wear ?

How about a study to determine when it is no longer acceptable to wear pajama pants and sweat pants in public.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2016 12:24AM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 06:06PM

"How about a study to determine when it is no longer acceptable to wear pajama pants and sweat pants in public."

Those are forbidden everywhere but Wal-Mart.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 12:27AM

I wear levis when it's too cold to wear shorts. I'm 54. Once in a while I have to dress a little nicer, but not often. I dress for comfort. When I lecture, I'm supposed to wear slacks and shirt, and I used to. Usually now I wear Levis and an untucked dress shirt. If I come in extra, like a weekend review session, I wear whatever I like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2016 12:30AM by nomonomo.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 12:29AM

I was told by someone that I was too old to wear the latest style of jeans that come with the rips and tears already in them. I thought that was hilarious.

We all know how long you have to own a pair of jeans before they will naturally tear. Especially in places that don't get much stress. It literally takes years.

If i'd kept all of my old jeans over the years, some of them might finally be getting old enough to have a tear across the thigh.

We all know that the kids wear those torn up jeans haven't been alive long enough to actually wear out a pair of jeans. That's why the current fad of torn jeans is so funny. It takes years of wearing them every day, washing them constantly, and maybe even helping them along with some sand paper to get that "naturally worn" look.

I think i'm finally old enough to wear torn jeans.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 10:50AM

I suppose by the writer's standard I am well over the age. I do wear them from time to time but find nothing "smart" in jeans and they are not the most comfortable to wear...little give in denim and far to warm in higher temps. But then I remember a time, too, before jeans became popular, so it is difficult for me to think of them as being anything else but part overalls.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 10:57AM

My 94 year old neighbor wears jeans. I dare anyone to try to stop him.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 11:05AM

Don't laugh, but it wouldn't surprise me if TSCC were to address older, mature members not dressing appropriately. The fossils seem to pay more attention to surveys, trends and data rather than any form of inspiration.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 11:24AM

Some people have hinted that *I* am too old to live because health care needs and expenses increase with age and the money could go to young people and children throughout the world.

I say a big fat NO to that idea. No one with energy and love of their life should be expected to "die with dignity" because of selfish, grasping, money grubbing pressure from twerps, be they "friends" or medical "professionals."

I get tired of "age appropriate" fashion advice. Give me a break!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2016 11:24AM by Cheryl.

Date: November 04, 2016 11:39PM

My parents dealt with a doc who thought old folks should be just left to die. Treating them was counterproductive in his mind. Dad fired him and got a medical team that would save my mom's life.

RB

Date: November 05, 2016 12:01AM

Eugenics used to a hot topic...

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 06:08PM

If you feel comfortable wearing them, don't tell some stupid Internet article what to put on.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 09:11PM

I am 80 years young and I still wear jeans whenever I damn well please to.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: November 04, 2016 10:19PM

Jeans are the primary component of my wardrobe. They go with sweaters or sweatshirts in cold weather, tee shirts in summer, and may be paired with fleece vests in transitional weather. Or in very cold weather, they may be worn UNDER sweatshirts for additional warmth.

Our Presbyterian church doesn't care what you wear (this shocked my BIC-TBM husband, who soon realized that only he and the young minister were wearing suits) and he was only to happy to be accepted in his favorite jeans!)

I have ONE formal, black skirt-and-jacket suit (with a very dressy-looking white blouse) that has been reserved in a plastic bag, to keep dust off the shoulders, that is reserved for funerals. That's IT. No other skirts or dresses. I have ALWAYS hated them.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 05, 2016 12:00AM

Oh, dear. Aged 59 and I just bought some lovely Firetrap jeans!

First pair I have owned in about 15 years! :o))

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 05, 2016 12:10AM

? Clothes ??

what on earth for / what reason?

Posted by: Recovered Molly Mo ( )
Date: November 07, 2016 01:25PM

I let a church tell me what a "good girl" should wear. So I dressed modestly.

I let a church tell me what a "good woman" should wear. So I dressed modestly over my modest garments.

I let a church tell me my once acceptable modest clothes were not acceptable for my age.

Then I let NO ONE tell me what I could and could not wear ever again.

I can wear what ever I please. Thank You,

RMM

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: November 07, 2016 01:58PM

The only TRUE jeans are Levi 501s - button up fly. I know because that's all I've worn for the last 48 years (except for two years that I'm trying to forget).

In the name of Levi Strauss, Ra'Amen.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: November 08, 2016 04:30PM

You left out " beyond a shadow of a doubt".

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: November 08, 2016 11:36AM

Will you just please tell me what that magical age is, because I don't want to bother reading that tripe.

On What Not To Wear, they say that women over 35 should not wear miniskirts.

Well, FUCK THAT. I will wear whatever the hell I want. I don't care if I'm 90 and wear leopard-print body suits to Walmart.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 08, 2016 06:48PM

dogzilla Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> FUCK THAT. I will wear whatever the hell I
> want. I don't care if I'm 90 and wear
> leopard-print body suits to Walmart.

Wow! Dogzilla, those words just gave me a hot flash! Cooling down...cooling down... I AGREE!!!!

Posted by: Puli ( )
Date: November 08, 2016 11:53AM

Where I currently work, we have people of all ages from those right out of school to others past traditional retirement age. Casual Fridays here means we are allowed to wear jeans and nearly everyone does on Friday - regardless of age.

I really don't care what some researcher in the UK says, I think jeans are just as good as any other article of clothing. I don't feel too different when dressed in jeans than when dressed up in a suit. It doesn't change who I am either way.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 08, 2016 12:36PM

I used to play bluegrass music with a woman who was 73 and wore tight jeans, and all us men were glad she did. You can look good in jeans at any age, so long as you can look good in just about anything else.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: November 08, 2016 07:43PM

This looks a lot like what Richard Feynman used to call
"typewriter science." He referred to magazine articles that
look like reports of scientific results but were just an advice
column masquerading as science.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.