Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: canary21 ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 12:30PM

I watched a video on youtube called Mormon Sex and The Hidden Truth (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YgGfBp6P7U).

Can anyone here tell me if it is true that there is are secret high schools for pregnant, unwed, teenage Mormon girls where their children are adopted by active tithe-paying couples who cannot have children?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 02:18PM

I've never heard of such a thing and strongly suggest that you use YouTube for entertainment purposes only. Do not look to YouTube as a source for anything remotely resembling accurate information. Anyone can make a video of anyone saying anything. They're not corroborative. You can't verify a single "fact" found in one of those things. Just watch music videos and those clips of dogs and cats and babies doing funny things.

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 06:56AM

That's exactly why the OP was ASKING. Youtube, like anywhere else on the Internet, has TONS of trash,lies and distortions, but it ALSO has TONS of useful and truthful information - as well as funny kitten videos.

Posted by: dodo ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 02:20PM

I'm not aware of any secret schools for mormon girls who become great with child. However I do remember many years ago that when a mormon girl became pregnant she went away for a few months and returned home un-pregnant. If anyone asked where she went, it was always, "off to school" with a wink.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 02:32PM

Secret High Schools? No. I am aware of alternate High Schools that provides for pregnant and teen mothers as well as for many other students who might not otherwise graduate. But it isn't secret.
http://www.davis.k12.ut.us/Page/42606

For the adoption part of your post, you might be thinking about LDS Family Services. They did work with unwed pregnant teens to have the babies adopted by LDS families, but they have changed their approach and now offer help for those who want to raise their child instead of placing it up for adoption.
https://www.lds.org/church/news/lds-family-services-no-longer-operating-as-adoption-agency?lang=eng

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 07:07AM

Does this mean that they no longer excommunicate pregnant girls who do not play along with Mormon adoption?

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 11:58PM

I don't know what happens church wide. I do know that at least in the ward I was in a few years ago, the only thing was that the unwed teen had to do was attend Relief Society instead of Young Women's. The Bishop did a secular marriage for the couple a few years after the child was born, at the request of the teens. He allowed it in the meeting house cultural hall. But that bishop was nothing like the horror story bishops.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 02:34PM

It isn't hard to keep a secret from people who don't care to know the secret.

Sure there are parents who out of embarrassment shame their daughters, that's not a secret or even uniquely Mormon.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 03:35PM

My aunt had a girl placed in her home while she was pregnant.

I don't know of any "secret high schools" for unwed mormon

girls. After the girl gave birth she went back home and her

baby was put up for adoption through LDS Family Services.

This whole process seemed so medeival to me, why hide, isn't

that like lying? Isn't lying wrong? It is typical church

bull shit of "lets pretend everything is fine".

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 05:54PM

Secret buildings full of pregnant unwed teenage Mormon girls??

Man, too bad I never knew about these places when I was a teenage boy (i.e., horndog). I would have been outside the place every night trying to peek in between the curtains.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 10:23PM

It boggles the mind.
Don't anybody tell BYU Boner of this thread!

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 08:34PM

There WERE homes for unwed pregnant women during the Vietnam era; The girls were instructed to were weddings rings, tell people their "husbands" were fighting in the war, and not discuss the pregnancies with each other or any details about their home lives.

I think, though, that more Mormon girls were sent to spend a summer with an aunt or grandparent out of state and then return dazed and a little bit slimmer. the secret school wouldn't have remained secret forever and someone likely would have spoken about it by now. :/

Posted by: canary21 ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 12:21PM

Itzpapalotl, that's sensible. They would have had the feds cracking down on it and the neighborhood probably would have figured something was up. I guess LDS Family Services helping unwed teenage Mormon girls with raising or placing the child up for adoption sounds more sensible.

I wonder if that one survey in the video was truthful when it said that a survey conducted at BYU indicated that 58% of females had had pre-marital sex.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2016 12:22PM by canary21.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 07:23AM

Is this anything at all like Miss Peregrine's School for Peculiar Children??

;) ;)

As a sidebar, I went through LDS Social Services as a teenager and was basically swindled out of my unborn baby to a closed adoption on the other side of my home state.

LDSSS seals the records and hopes to God the birth mother dies or fades away into oblivion, never to be seen or heard from again. My child was not given a medical history on his family, or even told what his ethnicity was (his father was Hispanic.) Instead he was told he "may have been" part Negro because of his curly dark hair and olive complexion. LDS SS and his adopting family knew his ancestry and could easily have shared it with him. His birth father signed the relinquishment same as I did as part of the coercion put on us by the morg. Yet he was kept in the dark for years until I located him. Even sent on his mission to a country of black people where he "could relate and identify" with them because he was part-black himself. A complete disgrace, and out and out lie.

Aside of all that and my need to vent because I'm still p*ssed off over the debacle that was a forced adoption, during my time spent w/LDSSS I was home schooled to keep up with my high school class. By the time my baby was born and placed with his adoptive family, I was ready to resume f/t studies at high school, and graduated with my class the following year.

Some of the girls I went through the program with wanted complete secrecy surrounding their adoptions, including changing their names so they wouldn't be identified upon their return to their homes &/or college. I wasn't like that at all. Would have been much more settled and less distraught were open adoptions the norm back then. It was not an option. Adoption wasn't something I was ready for either, but the people in charge of the program pretty much set the girls up for that as an inevitability.

Even today, while the church does not perhaps facilitate adoptions if indeed that is the case.. it still steers unwed mothers in that direction (regardless of the spin it puts on it.)

That it erases the birth families is a known fact among the adoption triad. I was not given that 'insight' going into it. I learned it years later when trying to find my birthson.

Posted by: darkprincess ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 08:53AM

There are lots of alternative high schools. When I was a teen girls who were pregnant went there. It also had kids who had disciplinary problems.
Today alt high Schools might be for students specializing in science or music and art. I also know one regular high school that has a daycare attached so pregnant teen moms can bring babies to school.
After being date raped that resulted in pregnancy I was going to be sent somewhere by LDS family services,they never told me where. They would secretly have the baby adopted it out to a nice Mormon couple and then my repentance would work. Yes repentance for rape victim. They said I would get an education but I don't know what that meant

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: November 19, 2016 05:07AM

I am so sorry for these poor girls!

How could their parents have allowed this? These babies were someone's grandchildren, right? I can't imagine caring more about a "reputation" than you care about a real, living child--your own flesh and blood. Unless the grandparents were in poverty, or terminally ill, I would judge them as being un-loving, at best.

(Sorry about the rant.) Our neighbor was our stake president. His son got a neighbor girl pregnant. She disappeared, but everyone knew the truth. The unwed father had to wait one year to go on his mission, but he went, after the waiting period was up. The grandmother had her 10th child. This family is wealthy, by the way, and could have easily afforded another child. The unwed teen age mother finished high school and married a returned missionary. The father of the baby got married a year after he got home from his mission. The rich grandfather was promoted up the ranks to mission president. Life went on, relentlessly, along the prescribed Mormon path of a Forever Family--but what about that sweet baby? Is there any guarantee that an adoptive TBM family will be loving and kind?

I hope you found your child, Amyjo and Darkprincess, so you have the reassurance that he/she is all right. (((hugs)))

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 19, 2016 08:58AM

My mother never stopped counting my son as her grandchild. He was counted right up there with the rest of them.

The church does/did a number on the young mothers out of wedlock.

It was a dark chapter of my life, but moreso my son's. He wasn't given the loving environment I was promised he would.

Two people in his extended adopted family told me after I found him that his adoptive parents treated him like he was hired help from early childhood. He was not provided a college education. He went on his mission, then joined the Marines for five years.

He hated his adoptive mom when I found him. They weren't on speaking terms with each other. She adamantly refused to let him communicate with me however, after I'd located him at long last.

She lambasted the social worker who matched our vital statistic records in the state where he was born. She may have threatened her with a lawsuit. That woman did more good helping people find their real families through the closed adoption LDS network than anyone else has. She told me most of her referrals were from LDS birth children or their birth parents. No other adoption agency went to such great lengths to erase the birth families, in her experience.

That program has now been terminated I believe because of how angry my birthson's mother became (enraged is more like it,) that someone had the audacity and chutzpah to locate their biological child after he was torn away from me at birth. His whole family turned on me like a pack of rabid dogs after I found him *except* for his loving grandmother and a wife of his deceased sibling's ex-husband. They were the ones to give me all the inside scoop on his upbringing, and let me know how angry his adoptive mother was over my finding him. He's suffered in silence his whole life. It was his adoptive grandmother who told me she wanted him and me to meet, and so did his adoptive dad who died when my birth son was a young adult. Those two people were his favorite adoptive relatives - maybe because they understood the adoptee's needs better than the rest of that vulture family does.

Is it any wonder he left the church following his mission? He was abused by his adoptive mother, and is still being held a hostage because of her threats to him. His grandmother told me when she and I were speaking that she had to do so in complete secrecy so her daughter-in-law wouldn't cut her off. What a cunning bitch that woman is! You'd think she might've had the courtesy (at least) and generosity of spirit to thank me for allowing her to raise my child when she herself wasn't able to have any of her own? Instead she has figuratively murdered me for her adoptive son, so that I continue to not exist in her eyes. He has a rich heritage from his birth family to help him understand where he came from, and a loving family. Many of whom have remained LDS. He was deprived of so much, and she doesn't have the capacity to understand what she continues to cheat him out of. A relationship with his half-siblings for one. To understand his birth mother better and what led to the forced adoption, another.

He could use the peace of mind for his growth and healing. Instead he turned to alcohol and drugs to numb his pain. I lost him when he was a baby. Then again, after I found him to let him know I've always loved him and cared about what happened to him, every step of the way. At least he knows that much about me.

The church goes to GREAT LENGTHS to erase the birth families. That was not information I was given when I was forced to relinquish him through the church adoption system. I was lied to and cheated out of my firstborn child by the Mormon Incorporated baby factory.

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: November 19, 2016 09:00AM

Sigh. I hate hearing the stories. I don't like mine either, as I am an adoptive parent, and no, there is no guarantee. Are we loving and kind? Yes. Did we always provide? Yes. Was my ex gay? Yes. Did we leave the church before my son's baptism age? Yes.

So yes, no guarantee.

So sorry to hear your story Amyjo. Things had changed somewhat by the time we adopted, but not a lot, and it is only my tenacity that found the birthparents. It was not a fair situation though. But the birthparents were also adults, in their early 20's as was the young lady who lived with us during the last trimester and birth of her baby who she also placed.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: November 19, 2016 09:08AM

Catholics used to have plenty of such places, especially when nuns used to run private boarding academys. Way back in my day (early 80s) St. H was known as the "Maternity Ward", and I had a few friends who got married while still in High School. Times have changed.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Your IP address, domain or ISP has been blocked. Please contact the forum administrators.
Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.