Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 05:34PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 05:44PM

I need to eat as many of these as possible starting RIGHT NOW!

Seriously: this is a great list of things to eat for those of us who give at most 1/3 of a rat's behind about healthy eating! I'm 65 and I'm gonna go out with a bang, or possibly some really obnoxious gas.

(1/3 of a rat's behind = that [small] salad I ate a couple days ago. I think I ate it. Some of it, maybe.)

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 08:10PM

I eat pretty healthy for 50 weeks of the year. Christmas is my cheatin' time. So there!

RB

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 08:23PM

Okay, I'll plan a holiday feast for my family centered around some kale studded oatmeal.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 08:26PM

BYU Boner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Okay, I'll plan a holiday feast for my family
> centered around some kale studded oatmeal.

Actually...(although not as a holiday dish), kale studded oats might work!!

Lemme think about this a bit...

:D

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 12:44AM

Ya need to eat lots of barley, Boner...malting barley..it's what's in the best beer. I grew it for 40 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2016 12:44AM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 08:27PM

I would take that with a grain of salt, since if you typically eat healthy the rest of the year, Christmas is the time to indulge in things you don't normally have.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 08:40PM

Too much sugar is definitely bad. But cheese topped potatoes!? Full fat dairy is still being maligned. Our ancestors ate it and heart disease was rare. It's hydrogenated oils( trans fats), like hardened butter substitutes such as oleo, that clog our arteries.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 02:57PM

Oleo! You said Oleo! My mother called it Oleo. She was from Wisconsin.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 09:15PM

Funny thing, how they consistently list the evil ingredients with qualifiers such as "could contain" or "might equal". Yeah, folks, absolutely any food on earth "could contain" enough rich stuff that it "might equal" something that sounds scary.

This is such deliberately alarmist writing, giving totals for an entire dessert here, rather than a single, reasonable portion; comparing dark turkey with skin to white meat without skin, as if there was no way to eat the dark meat without skin; and implying that all of the yummy ingredients are horribly dangerous, when most folks actually survive a reasonable intake of most of them quite well.

Thanks, I'll eat sensible portions of things that I like over the holidays. And continue my generally healthy diet around that little splurge. And hold the hyperbole, exaggeration, and fear mongering.

Posted by: ren ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 09:20PM

I can't eat most the things on the list, since I'm vegan, but I'll probably end up making my own, equally unhealthy substitutes.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 03:41AM

Can't = Don't

unlike homosexuality or stupidity, being a vegan is a choice.

Posted by: ren ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 04:09AM

You know what I meant. No need for me to clarify.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 09:25PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 16, 2016 09:37PM

My holiday menu doesn't even include 50 different foods. Therefore, I'm already partially following the list without having to look at it.

Which is to say, "phhhhhhhhhhbbbbbbbttttt!"

Posted by: lindy ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 04:38AM

I'm still trying to figure out who the heck uses condensed milk in a trifle or why a shepherd's pie is loaded with sodium when I add no salt at all to mine.

Maybe a US trifle is very different to the British ( or Aussie ) one. You can cut down on the sugar by using a low cal jelly ( jello) for starters.

We'll be eating normal Christmas fare come the big day.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 03:51PM

Yes, that was my main impression from the site:

They carefully listed all of the very worst possible situations, as if they were the normal conditions, and then exaggerated the risks (many of which are debatable) as much as they could.

It certainly doesn't make me want to trust their advice on anything.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 11:38AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G08pqAaJi5k

This list is pretty ridiculous barring any medical issues. You can eat and indulge once in a while as long as you eat healthily and exercise regularly as a rule. If you really want to make things a little lighter, that's fine, too.

Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: November 17, 2016 08:27AM

Well I am going to eat them anyways because these are the foods that make the holiday meals awesome.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 12:58AM

eating salad cancels out all bad foods previously eaten.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 01:23AM

I tried to look at the list, but I temporarily went blind! I had to call my husband to back me out of the that link!

I was so scared!!

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 11:59AM

Because I always trust what the media say's to eat....yesireesir....couldn't figure out what to eat or how much or when without them....nosireebob!

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 02:55PM

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: November 19, 2016 12:00PM

Who are these people? Scrooge wannabes?

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: November 19, 2016 01:10PM

This is silly. It would make more sense titled "Holiday foods to eat in moderation" or only eat small portions, and not all the time.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: November 19, 2016 02:19PM

In just a week I can gain six pounds. Takes a few weeks to lose it.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: November 20, 2016 04:27AM

Well--all this is good news for me! I won't have to cook! I'll just show my family this link, and tell them I'm guarding their health.

Some of those recipes are a lot of work. Not exercise-type, active work, but tedious standing-and-bending, boring, marathon work. All I want to do after cooking a huge meal is just sit down. I try to get my energy back, by eating all the leftovers for the next few days.

These meals are fattening, because preparing them takes away a person's fun time, ski time, Christmas shopping-and-browsing time, meeting friends for coffee time (few of us can afford Starbuck's anyway), playing with the grandchildren.

My grandchildren eat oatmeal and kale (but not together), and that's funny! They won't eat plumb pudding, fruitcake, pecan pie, much less spinach and feta turkey dressing or goat cheese and white bean fondu.

Who eats a whole chocolate orange?

I totally identify with that pumpkin pie story! Feeling "deprived" is not very merry.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.