Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 06:37AM

New Trib article:
http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/faith/4601215-155/its-not-easy-being-black-at

Turns out it's "not chill" to wear blackface. My God, BYU students are culturally insulated babes in the woods.

At least they finally have some blacks who go there. Personally, I think they're nuts for doing it, but in my day there was still a ban, until they admitted a married guy from Nigeria. The married part was what allowed him to attend. J. Reuben Clark, after whom the law school was named, protested allowing blacks to attend. Sounding like some southern politician, he asked, "What if a Mormon girl falls in love with one of them?" You know--"They's miscegenated!" Yet Mormon leaders retain the right to tell people they're not racist.

(By the looks of this young woman's face, it would be me, a white guy, falling in love with her.)

On second thought, let's not go to BYU. 'Tis a silly place.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 08:17AM

"An eager white female says Black Lives Matter "is great," though she clearly doesn't know what it is." That just sums up the politically-correct lets-not-be-triggered attitude many pinkos have in this country.

My-oh-my we've come along way since the summer of 69, lol!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 09:32AM

"Pinkos?"
Dude, the 1950's called -- they miss you.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 09:24AM

They sure like to push the pram alot.

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 11:05AM

They could always audition for The Black And White Minstrel Show (amazing BBC show back in the 1970s).

Date: November 18, 2016 12:03PM

If you were a fan of Jeeves and Wooster, you might remember Hugh Laurie and Martin Clunes in black-face, playing banjo in a minstrel group.

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 03:38PM

I've never actually seen Hugh Laurie in that show. I really should one day.

I have just re-read my post and when I say that the Black & White Minstrel Show was ' amazing' I didn't mean amazingly good (as it reads). I mean that it was amazing to think (from today's standpoint) that it got made at all lol.

Talented musicians/singers yes, I'll grant you. But blackface ... not on nowadays.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 03:49PM

cludgie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you were a fan of Jeeves and Wooster

Ironically, I just bought the whole series on DVD from a second-hand book shop. Mrs. Nomonomo and I love "Keeping Up Appearances" and "The Vicar of Dibley." So, "Jeeves and Wooster" always came up in searches, so when I saw them I bought them. We've watched the first few episodes, and sadly don't really like them.

Date: November 18, 2016 06:30PM

But you HAVE to love this, "47 Ginger-Headed Sailors."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXr4N51RsHA

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 12:58PM

around 1980, as a student at BYU, I met a really cute black girl at a dance at the Wilkinson Center. I was hopelessly attracted to Asian girls at the time, having had my mind seriously bent in Taiwan and my raised in Louisiana mother was losing her shit over the fact I kept asking them out. Anyway, as I danced with this cute black girl, I thought to myself "I should ask this sweet thing to come to church with me next Sunday so my mom can see that things could be worse!" What a terrible thing to think. Never did it but still. SD is just not right sometimes.

Date: November 18, 2016 01:42PM

I don't mean to classify races. I really don't. But if it were up to me (and it never has been), I would be tempted to only interact with women of African ancestry, who are more attractive to me than any other racial group. Just how it is. And here in the South, black people are better looking, better dressed, eat tastier food, nicer, are a helluva lot more fun to be around, more polite (possibly due to generations of being subservient, unfortunately), and easier to know. Don't like the white South. Unfortunately, there was only the one African grad student when I went to BYU, and what with me being mostly from SoCal desert, WA state, and Utah, I hardly encountered a black person until I went in the military. I love diversity. You just don't find it at BYU, even today. I learned far too late in life that black really is beautiful.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 08:08PM

Are you really a southerner? Or did you relocate to the south?

Date: November 19, 2016 01:23PM

Was transferred here 3+ years ago. Like I say, I'm from three places in the West. The South is foreign. I like the flora and fauna, dislike the lifestyle, hate the religious in-your-face stuff.

Posted by: Betty G ( )
Date: November 20, 2016 06:04AM

I'm from the South, you and me must have traded places.

I love the South.

In many ways, I feel that the West (at least the Morridor where I'm living now) is a very foreign and strange place...

comparatively speaking.

I have to say though, I love the flora and fauna of the South far better than the West, but I also love the culture of the South as well.

I had one lady mention to me on a visit that it was always very humid and rainy in the mountains.

I've visited the mountains in Utah. I told her that she had NO IDEA about rainstorms. In Alabama, when it rains hard, you'll be drenched within 5 seconds...and the thunder...the entire house shakes like an earthquake.

It's wonderful. I miss it, but one goes where they can find work (or where work sends them).

Posted by: holycarp ( )
Date: November 19, 2016 01:45PM

I <3 you Cludgie

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 05:34PM

I'm trying to get my head around why a black kid, especially a non-Mormon, would want to attend BYU (student body = 98% LDS).

Maybe it's like being an astronaut sent on an interstellar voyage to strange civilizations on the other side of the galaxy. You step out of your spaceship and you're a stranger in a strange land, surrounded by odd creatures who resemble you in some physical and behavioral ways but are quite different in others.

As a bonus, the creatures at BYU breathe oxygen, too, so there's that.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: November 18, 2016 07:29PM

I teach at a community college, and maybe four or five years ago I taught a very nice, young black woman who told me she had previously attended BYU-Idaho after having converted to Mormonism as a young adult. (She was American, born and raised in CA, I believe.)

The only complaint she seemed to have about her time at BYU-I was that she knew far more about the Bible than any of her religion professors, having grown up Pentecostal. She said with a laugh that she would get into arguments with them about scripture and ended up receiving poor grades in those classes. I don't remember her saying much else about the experience.

Date: November 19, 2016 01:26PM

Far more important than learning the Bible in BYU religion classes or HS seminary classes is parroting the Mormon belief system. Thinking for yourself or knowing more than the professor is always a mistake among Mormons. All-important is to toe the party line. Even Mormon leaders must rubber-stamp the politburo.

Posted by: John Boanerges ( )
Date: November 19, 2016 01:56PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.