Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: November 24, 2016 09:05AM

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!! Today, is going to be rather simple. Right now I am waiting for the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade to start which is a yearly tradition for me. I am going to try and spend most of the day relaxing either here at home or at my brother's house which is were I am going to be having dinner.

So what are you doing today!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: November 24, 2016 09:14AM

Officiating a high school football playoff....then watching more football...then watching more football....then watching more football....

Gatorman
8-2

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: November 24, 2016 09:20AM

Just cooking the turkey, eating it and watching the Cowboys whip Washington.

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: November 24, 2016 09:29AM

Has always been my favorite holiday. Family, friends and good food. Memories. Wonderful memories.

This year I'm paying the price of being a hermit. No where to go. No one to join me. I suppose it isn't really so bad. Right?

'It's ok teddy. Just enjoy the creek and new snow. It's just another day in the scheme of things. Wipe that tear, dude. Just be grateful. Serious. Life is grand. Trust yourself. You're a tough bastard. This, too shall pass.'

I am fortunate. Grateful. Loving....Please, just for me, savor the day. A personal favor. Selfish of me, I know. Just do it.

I love you, my invisible friends.

Posted by: escapee nli ( )
Date: November 24, 2016 09:32AM

Just my dad, sister and brother today. Turkey, mashed potatoes, crunchy potatoes (Funeral potatoes to some), a veggie plate, and pie. And lots of card playing.
We've had more in the past. Mom died three years ago. Certain toxic people have removed themselves from the holiday cheer. My younger nephew would be here, but his dad is battling leukemia in another town, and he's going to see him. From the sound of it, he may have bone and brain metastasis and is undergoing chemo and radiation.
Anyway, this year we have less than half of the crew we used to have two years ago.
I think it will be peaceful.

Other Susan

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 24, 2016 09:40AM

Watching Macy's Parade. That's been a tradition in my family too, Kativicky.

French toast is another. Though this morning I detoured and had pumpkin pie w/whipped cream instead. And a cup of Starbucks Cinnamon Dolce to go with that. I may still do the French toast, morning is still young.

Later will be turkey, dressing, and some sides. Keeping it low key. My family lives in the west, and my children are far away. My dog reaps the benefits of any leftovers. ;)

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: November 24, 2016 10:00AM

Got one of those spiral sliced hams in the oven. In a while I'll add some spuds, carrots, mushrooms, and a couple of onions. Gonna make an easy jello salad, green beans with cream-o-mushroom soup & french fried onions sprinkled on top. Frozen rolls that take hours to rise. And, of course, pumpkin pie from Costco.

I don't do turkey anymore, too much work & mess, and I don't like the smell or the taste. Ham is what I like and since it's at my house, ham it is.

A couple of my kids will be coming over and my oldest sister. Six people in all, just right. Gone are the days when the house of was full people, half of them I didn't even know.

Right now however, I'm sitting with a delicious cup-o-Joe and pondering very deep thoughts about how to bring about world peace.

Date: November 24, 2016 10:02AM

Oh I want some of your green beans. I am hoping that my sister in law makes some for today because it is one of my favorites for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Posted by: rameumptom ( )
Date: November 24, 2016 10:06AM

I'm avoiding the Macy's parade route! I battle the urban crowds every day. No need to do it on Thanksgiving as well. My turkey is going into the oven soon. Will be gathering with a handful of friends. We are a rather international bunch this year---Pakistan, India, Malta, France, Missouri, Long Island, NY and me from Utah! The funny thing is, as an ex-mormon, they think of ME as the exotic one of the group. It's true I do have lots of odd cultural stories to tell from my Utah days.

Posted by: southbound ( )
Date: November 24, 2016 10:31AM

Up in the patch the cook is going to do turkey for supper tonight. We have a couple of Americans working up here so we will help them celebrate and break bread with them. Always a pleasure.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: November 24, 2016 10:51AM

My oldest daughter and her hubby and kid are driving up from Orlando, and won't get here to Knoxville until late tomorrow. My other daughter is working retail and won't be off until Saturday. So all four of my kids will be here Saturday. Turkey breast, meatballs, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, deviled eggs, corn pudding, crescent rolls, cranberry sauce, apple pie, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, Mayfield egg nog ice cream.

And the Alabama-Auburn game on TV to boot.

Posted by: westerly62 ( )
Date: November 24, 2016 10:59AM

Hiking Enchanted Rock, TX. I haven't been there since I wad a kid when my Dad used to hang glide off of it back in the 70's.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 24, 2016 11:02AM

god hostakkefest, alle venner

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: November 24, 2016 11:14AM

The family is coming here. It will be a smaller gathering than usual, which is still over twenty people. The plan had been for us to travel north to the larger gathering, but wife had surgery for an ectopic pregnancy a week ago. She has had a tubal ligation; one of my little guys made it through somehow, but the zygote couldn't fit back through the opening that the sperm made it through.

Wife was probably 9/1/2 weeks along and within days of a ruptured fallopian tube. She had been feeling some pain but had written it off to a kidney stone and was ignoring it for as long as possible. My 2-year old strangely walked up to her and pressed on her abdomen, which she doesn't recall him having done before. She doubled over in pain. I snapped at him for hurting his mother, which I should not have done, as he didn't hit her and wasn't overly rough, and, in the end, saved her a lot more health problems, as I instantly took her in for an ultrasound and found the problem. She was in surgery within hours. Both of her Fallopian tubes have been removed for safety, as my sperm are apparently so potent that they'll find their way through any opening. (I'm joking, of course.)

Her parents, siblings and their kids, and a first cousin and spouse are remaining here in our area to celebrate with us as opposed to joining the larger gathering up north. My parents and my sister and family who live in cA will be with us as well. My in-laws and the others are taking care of kitchen duties.

I'm grateful that everything is going to be OK, and I'll have a lot more control over the TV here in my own home than I would have had at the larger gathring up north.

Date: November 24, 2016 11:22AM

I hope that your wife feels better. Hopefully you can make the trip over Christmas or next year.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: November 24, 2016 11:46AM

It happened to a friend earlier this year. She's in her early 40s and her hubby managed to make a goal. She was shocked, then pleasantly happy about it till she found out it was ectopic. I hope your wife is feeling better.

It's just BF and I this year since I have a Yorkie pack to dogsit and homework that I'm putting off, lol. We're having an apple and butter herbed turkey, my sourdough stuffing, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, and a pumkin pie that I slightly tweaked with Kahlua and Frangelico this year. Then make a cinnamon whipped cream to go with it. I might make roasted garlic brussel sprouts, we'll see. That's a lot of food for two people.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 24, 2016 11:41AM

60 miles north of the US border not much is happening here...other than my wife's favorite US game shows are pre-empted for NFL football. She's fuckin' pissed!!

Oh and HAPPY THANKSGIVING to all you south of the 49th parallel!

RB

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.