Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: November 25, 2016 04:14AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNRlg6O8ekU

I just became aware of this horrible LDS Philanthropies video that basically encourages parents to disinherit their children if they stray from the church. I think it's very sad that so many religious people (not just Mormons) feel the need to dictate to their children what they must believe. And they use money and property to control their adult kids.

A wise person realizes that money and property are not an equal tradeoff for self-determination and self-respect. But apparently, this tactic works in many cases. It's tragic. People ought to live their lives free of worrying about what will be left to them when someone dies.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: November 25, 2016 08:01AM

At least the church got push-back from it and stopped using it eventually. They were trying to paint him as such a great god-fearing father, but I just saw a control freak, and kids that wanted to make sure they didn't get written out of his will.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: November 25, 2016 08:58AM

I actually found this video because it was linked to a Facebook post about a father who wanted his six children aged 9-19 to sign a "warning" letter about their being cut out of the will if they ever left the One True Church. It was not the first time I've seen such a letter on Facebook from TBM parents to their children.

I'm glad the church quit using that particular video, but it seems like some members missed the memo.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.