Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anononceagain ( )
Date: November 22, 2016 11:03PM

Was handed the statistics on colonoscopies. I have a 1% chance of having my colon punctured during the procedure which would mean serious consequences, surgery, and possible lifetime complications and possibility of death.

My chances of having colon cancer are .8% It seems statistically wiser to forego the colonoscopy and take the chance that I will not get colon cancer.

What say you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 22, 2016 11:07PM

I skipped it. But not so much because of the risk, but because of the lack of respect for my anus.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 22, 2016 11:22PM

Get your anus to a Doc, Dawg!

Date: November 22, 2016 11:20PM

I'm the king of colonoscopies! Yes, there's a risk; however, dying of colorectal cancer greatly outweighs the risk. Most people only need one every ten years. During the procedure, the GE can remove any polyps without additional surgery. Please, talk with friends or family members who have had one. The prep is a little uncomfortable, but there's no pain or long recovery afterwards. And, you'll get pictures to show friends afterwards! The Boner.

Posted by: anonagain ( )
Date: November 22, 2016 11:28PM

Have talked with friends and family. They did not enjoy the process greatly. None had polyps. Doubt any of them would have died of cancer had they not had the colonoscopy. A .8% chance of cancer seems mighty slim. I skipped the age 50 recommendation and just turned 60 this year with my doctor recommending it only on the basis of it being done every ten years. They do not recommend them after age 80. I just want to cross my fingers and see if i can make it twenty more years. I sailed through the last ten and feel great.

Date: November 22, 2016 11:45PM

A close friend had a highly active cancerous polyp removed that was found with a routine colonoscopy. Without the removal, the cancer would have probably spread and taken his life.

The prep is a little uncomfortable, but not unbearable. You'll drink a lot of flavored solution mixed with water then sit on the toilet for about three hours. The solution doesn't taste that great, but I've tasted worse in medicine and cheap booze. The bowel movements are not painful, just watery.

The next day, you go to the GE lab. They start an IV, you sleep, then you wake up and fart. Once you have farted (the nurses will ask), you go home.

I've had seven of them. I've also had unrelated cancer, surgery, and chemotherapy. A colonoscopy is an easy procedure. It's your call, but please reconsider.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 22, 2016 11:39PM

I recently had one.
No dignity at all.

Posted by: Anononceagain ( )
Date: November 22, 2016 11:43PM

Any polyps? Any indication of anything amiss? I've yet to meet anyone who said they caught anything wrong from this procedure.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 22, 2016 11:52PM

yep.
a polyp was removed.
the prep liquid now days is far superior to the old chalky stuff foul tasting stuff of the past.
two small bottles of clear sweet tasting liquid taken twelve hours apart and lots of water in between to flush it through.

just stay near a toilet and you will do fine.

I was asleep during the procedure and didn't know it had been done until I was told after I woke up.
Then went to subway and had a big sandwich.

Date: November 22, 2016 11:46PM

But you got to fart loudly, didn't you!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 22, 2016 11:45PM

Had two... so far. Both negative....better to know that risk it and be wearing a bag or taking the dirt nap.

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 12:23AM

Don't believe everything you hear. A colonoscopy is the most fun you can have without laughing. Of course, that's not to say that colon cancer can't be fun too. The hardest part is downing the liquid the day before. It's made from stuff that was left over from when they first made the atomic bomb. During the procedure, the hose they shove inside you is long enough that it could risk chipping a tooth.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 12:27AM

I recently had one.

I did have a benign polyp last time so they wanted me to come in after 5 years.

I went in after 7 year and no polyps, but they recommend every 5 if you ever have one.

Will probably extend my time again next time but they are 'free' to me so who knows.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 12:29AM

My father died of colon cancer. He knew something was wrong but he kept it from my mother until it got so bad he finally said he needed to go to the doc. From diagnosis to death was 5 horrible months.

I have had 3 colonoscopies and each time serious polyps were found and removed.

the prep isn't all that bad, IMO. The procedure itself is a breeze.

Why would anyone take the risk of such a terrible disease when this screening is available and usually covered by your insurance?

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: November 25, 2016 09:47PM

Have you had genetic testing for Lynch Syndrome?

When both father and son have colon cancer, it often times is the result of Lynch Syndrome.

You might want to look into this.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: November 25, 2016 10:01PM

I had a colonoscopy 3 years ago.

I didn't have to drink any awful tasting stuff.

They told me to go to a drug store and buy some MiraLax and some Dulcolax.

Then, they said, I could choose what I wanted to drink, as long as it was not anything that was the color red. (The red dye in things like red Gatorade, Hawaiian punch, etc. can come out your rear end while you are pooping, and it looks like blood... I made the mistake of drinking my MiraLax in Hawaiian punch before my hysterectomy, which is why I know this is the reason they want you to avoid red drinks).

Anyway, I just mixed some of the MiraLax according to the directions they gave me (which involved mixing alot more MiraLax into the drink than the actual packaging would tell you to do) into Lemon-Lime flavored Gatorade and some of it into Countrytime Lemonade, and drank those two drinks. The MiraLax does not have any taste to it when you add it into the drink of your choice.

So I was able to drink stuff that I actually enjoyed. At some point, I was directed to take some Dulcolax pills too. They gave me a timetable for when to take everything.

The pooping was pretty gentle. No emergencies, no problems. It came on slowly, and I controlled the process at all times.

Then I went in the next day, they put me to sleep, and next thing I knew, I was fully awake, and the doctor was complementing me on how clean my colon was!

They didn't find any polyps, so they told me to come back in 10 years for another one.

I will.

Posted by: jonny ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 12:44AM

My dad died of pancreatic cancer, metastasized from an earlier colon cancer that supposedly had been cured.

He waited on both. He died a horrible death.

My 3 brothers have all had polyps removed, I have not but have not had another colonoscopy done since I was 37, but I am due because of family history.

My ex had one done a few years ago, pre-cancerous polyp, he was just 50.

I may have to do something different because I can't hold down the liquid, but the procedure and pooping were no biggie, in factnot painful at all. and yes, you fart. The proper lady in the next stall has to fart. It'skinda funny.

Just get it then you know and should be good for awhile if there is nothing there.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 12:48AM

Been there, done that, have the T shirt

Posted by: MikeyA ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 01:07AM

You may only have a 0.8% chance of having cancer.....but if you do have cancer you have 100% chance of having cancer.

I'd rather know. The difference between catching it earlier rather than later is enormous.

1% chance of something going wrong? Something can go wrong but the chances from dying from something going wrong is probably 1%. Which then makes the odds back in favour of doing something weird and interesting.

Everything is risky. A long strange black thing in your butt? Pricless

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 01:20AM

I had five polyps removed, and they want to see me in three years instead of the usual ten...

What my aunt and grandmother went through dying of cancer amounted to unspeakable and painful horrors.

The prep wasn't a lot of fun, but it wasn't that big of a deal, either.

And as I was coming out of the anesthesia, I said out loud, "Oh dear! I'm awake!"

The nice doctor--a lady--said to me, "That's because you're finished."

No regrets, period.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 02:29AM

There is a new non-invasive test called "Cologuard." Medicare will cover it.

It works like a fecal smear.

If out-of-pocket, it costs about $500-ish.

Supposed to be more accurate than a colonoscopy. If it shows any abnormal cells, then a colonoscopy follows that.

Check with your insurance company.

Good luck whatever you choose.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 02:30AM

I've only been the driver for my parents when they had their colonoscopies because there's no family history for me to get mine before I'm 50.

Posted by: escapee nli ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 02:32AM

There are far worse things than a colonoscopy or the prep for it. Like dying from a preventable disease. Or living with a colostomy. If prepping for the colonoscopy revolts you, you'll really hate having to empty or change a colostomy bag.

I've had a colonoscopy done a couple of times. It's really not that bad, imo.

Other Susan

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 06:35AM

I had my first and only one last year.

The prep time was worse than the procedure. It was all downhill from the moment I entered the facility to finally get it out of the way.

Don't remember the farting part lol, but you do want to be close to a bathroom while prepping.

Does the risk outweigh not having it done? That's a gamble you make by not going. If you're in the .8% group, wouldn't you rather know ahead of time and not before it's too late?

Colon cancer is a silent killer. The only early detection is the colonoscopy - although there is the new over the counter one advertised recently that can detect early cancer cells. If that's the $500 one Kathleen is describing, I didn't know it was that pricey. If you can get it without a prescription I doubt people will be rushing to buy it off the shelf unless it will be covered by insurance.

Posted by: Kathleen nli ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 04:02PM

That price of $500-ish for the Cologuard was a while ago. I will check on that again and return and report.

Posted by: Getascreening ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 07:07AM

The incidence of colon cancer is down considerably over the past 20 years mostly because of screening. I'd suggest you do some research to see if you can find out what the csncer rate would be without screening. I'm pretty sure it would be considerably higher than the 1% puncture rate.

Also, I doubt so many medical organizations would recommend screening if the number of punctures were so high that they offset the value of a colonoscopy.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 07:30AM

Didn't like them, especially, the prep. I saw no improvement in any part of the process from ten years ago to now. I'm not sure if I'll have another in ten more years or skip it unless I'm having symptoms which is why I had one recently. Having a trustworthy doctor is key. I rejected one doctor who had issues with age and sexism and found a lovely and more competent women I trusted and liked.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 07:43AM

Always get the colonoscopy. Always. If you don't have anything at all, they'll recommend 10 years for the next. If there is a polyp or two, and they are normal, then they'll recommend 5. It's no big deal. The prep is distasteful in several ways. Watch The movie with Ricky Gervais, "Ghost Town" for fun as you're purging your system.

Posted by: durhamlass ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 09:39AM

I just had one last week. I was diagnosed with bowel cancer 16 years ago at the age of 41. At that time I had no symptoms of bowel cancer and the consultant only did the colonoscopy to rule out a bowel condition as he thought that the abdominal pain I was getting was gynaecological. (To this day I still get that pain and no-one knows why, but that's another story). I don't know which of the two of us was the most surprised when he found the tumour.

There followed colon surgery and two and a half years later a liver resection and chemotherapy when a secondary was found on my liver. The chemo was the worst experience of my life, nevertheless I am still here, I no longer need scans and am regarded as cured. But I still need to have a colonoscopy every five years, as the risk of a new tumour is greater if you have already had one.

I suppose that to me a colonoscopy is no longer a big deal after all of the other stuff I had to endure, however I can imagine that it can be a worrying to someone who has not had one before, but take my advice - it can be a life saver. Colon cancer is much more easily dealt with in the early stages before any symptoms have appeared.

As for the things that can possibly wrong during the procedure, they have to do that in order to cover themselves. I remember my oncologist once saying that if we took notice of all of the risks mentioned about a drug in the patient information leaflet no-one would ever take another tablet again. Although he said that with his tongue firmly in his cheek and a twinkle in his eye I am sure that this is not far from the truth!

Posted by: 2thdoc ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 11:43AM

Fantastic survivor story! Thank you.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 09:42AM

My best friend from high school days refused " western medicine" and went homeopathic...drank liquid silver and stuff. We hung out all our lives. He died 5 yrs ago of colon cancer at 66. I miss him. I've had two..no big deal either time.

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 10:40AM

I had my first colonoscopy in March 2015, having put it off for as long as I could. (I had one scheduled years before that and for some reason, it was cancelled by the Dr's office)

As all have said, the worst part was drinking the prep stuff the day before and staying close to the toilet. I paid a few dollars extra for the "new, improved, less-nasty tasting " potion and I still have most of the OTC Dulcolax left.

I think I was in and out of the dr's office within 90 minutes, maybe not that long. No discomfort noticed, negative results.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 10:46AM

I had one once in a large, beautiful facility in WA state. I didn't know that it was owned and operated by an extended LDS family. The woman asked me if I had taken all the solution, and whether or not I had remembered to use the suppositories in the morning. I repeated an old joke and said, "Yeah, but for all the good they did me, I might as well have stuck them up my ass." Knives came out of her eyes, and she said, "Just tell me. Did you use them or not?" Mormons don't have senses of humor when it comes to most anything, particularly anything anus-related.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 01:40PM

The numbers that you should be paying attention to are these:

The risk of death from undiscovered, untreated colon cancer: 100%

Out of 371,000 people who had colonoscopies, 128 died during the follow-up period of the study. *From any cause whatsoever.* In this statistic, we're not talking about deaths from the colonoscopy. We're talking about deaths from anything at all in that group of 371,000 people. Traffic accidents, poisonings, simple old age, murder, whatever. That's a very low rate.

https://www.verywell.com/overview-of-colonoscopy-risks-797566

I have had several colonoscopies. I didn't enjoy any of them, but, as they keep saying, the unpleasant part is the prep. Once that's done, it's easy.

Seriously, the risks from a colonoscopy are nothing at all compared to the risks if you have cancer and it is not detected early.

I personally have known 3 people who had colon cancer.

The two people who died from colon cancer were both people who decided to just wait and hope that everything would turn out okay. Their cancer was detected too late to be treated successfully.

The one colon cancer survivor whom I know got a colonoscopy, caught the disease early, did the treatment, and is now a happy survivor.

I had my colonoscopies during treatment for a different disease, and I now have a different sort of scopings on a regular basis. It is really not that big a deal.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 01:52PM

I had one in my early fifties, had a few polyps removed. Went back 3 years later, all clear.

The prep is the only thing to deal with. After that, you go in, go to sleep, wake up and leave. You wouldn't know it happened.

However, it could turn out like my mother....her mom died of colon cancer in her mid 70's. My mom went in for a colonoscopy at 78. No polyps, all clear!! She was very happy that she had nothing to worry about.......until about a month later, she was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer and died within a few months.

So I guess if it ain't one thing, its another.

I'd get the colonoscopy if I was you.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 02:09PM

I would suggest that you never do anything that carries with it a small risk so that you can receive an incalculable benefit.

That is the right thing to do.

You know what they say. The risk of getting a reward isn't worth the reward.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 04:09PM

"A total of 228 perforations were diagnosed after 277,434 colonoscopies, which corresponded to a cumulative 7-day incidence of 0.082%."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19251006

That's less than 1/12 the risk of colon perforation OP states.

Posted by: presbyterian ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 04:34PM

Hmmmm, women have to get manual breast exams, mammograms, as well as cervical cancer screening. Would you suggest they skip those screenings because the chance of detecting cancer is so low? How about all those false positives? Don't men have their testicles examined at their physical? That also seems unpleasant.

Get the colonoscopy. Chances are you will never have to have one again in your life. If your colonoscopy comes out clear, you can do a fecal smear test every year until you are 80.

Another cancer survivor here to say that surgery and chemo and fear of death are a lot worse than the minor discomfort of a colonoscopy.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 05:16PM

My sister's second husband died of colon cancer and he had ignored his symptoms until too late. Maybe he didn't want to undergo cancer treatment again. He had had an earlier episode of a different cancer earlier in life. I've had one and am due for another soon. It is no big deal. When my dad had one they removed several polyps. Why take a chance?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2016 09:24AM by michaelc1945.

Posted by: michaelc1945 ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 05:16PM

Yes, yes and yes!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2016 05:17PM by michaelc1945.

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 05:30PM

Okay, you are all scaring the shit out of me. Just 3 weeks ago I was in my doctor's office getting a routine checkup and he asked if I would submit to a colonoscopy. I firmly stated "no, I wouldn't" and he asked me to at least think about it. Then, this post came up. I'm thinking now.

A couple of questions:

1. After the prep at home, is there a danger of an "accidental" continuance of that "purging" the next morning on the ride to get the procedure done? How about the walk from the car into the facility to get the procedure? Would I need to take baby steps all the while holding a tight "clench" and praying to the Bum Gawds?

2. Can I drive myself or would I need a driver while I sit hoping that I don't have an "accidental"?

3. Did the medication that they use to put you to sleep make you nauseous when you woke up?

4. There is mention here of a suppository. I don't know how to broach this, but, did, is, how, , will this be something I can easily do all by myself? Are there instructions? Yeah, never done this before.

I'm giving this a serious think, I listen to people I trust. And, no Ziller, there won't be any pictures this time.

Date: November 23, 2016 06:00PM

1. There's no risk of having an am problem because your system will be clean and empty.

2. You will need a driver to take you home. Someone to drive you to the appointment is probably also a good idea because you're likely to feel tired and weak from being up in the bathroom most of the night.

3. The medication for the procedure usually puts you to sleep and you likely will not remember anything after they tell you how to lie on your side. The medication didn't make me ill and I have problems with that. I think this is such a quick procedure that you don't need a heavy dose.

4. I don't know about a suppository. Sounds like something a particular doctor might prefer. The two doctors I had for colonoscopies never mentioned this.

Posted by: prodded ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 07:07PM

I agree with Cheryl, and there was zero pain for me, even though they removed six polyps and fixed two internal hemmoroids I didn't even know I had.

Before, my gut hurt, and "things" were difficult. I started feeling much better afterwards.

The driver is because they can't let you DUI.

...Suppository? Tell the doc you would rather drink magnesium citrate, or if that's not okay because of other meds / conditions, there are other laxitives.

The only thing I don't "get" on these posts is that I had a two-day prep for upper and lower GI. Clear fluids and laxative first day, water and lax the second, NPO a certain time the night before.

-If you have to do a suppository, the first time, the feeling may surprise you, but shouldn't hurt. They are lubricated and you can use something like K-Y, too, if you want. Yes there are instuctions and -please forgive crudeness - if you can wipe yourself, you will be able to self-administer a suppository.

Posted by: Colonic Opinion ( )
Date: November 24, 2016 03:37PM

Ask to be referred to GI and talk to an EXPERT that will be performs the procedure..not your Primary.

The first consult is only an education and Q&A time. THEY will tell you what to expect. If you take everything said here as "gospel" of how its done, you could get incorrect advice from how your GI specialist will work with you.

CO

Posted by: Lumberjack ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 06:40PM

I've had two procedures over the last 19 years. I found the prep from nine years ago to be much better than the first time I went through it.
As far as risks go, you might be more at risk riding in the car to get the procedure done than from the procedure itself.
I've seen a friend die from rectal cancer (which I assume a colonoscopy would have discovered if it had been done) and it isn't something you'd wish on your worst enemy.

Posted by: yamsi ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 06:40PM

My procedure uncovered cancer in my appendix, it had started to metastasize into the peritoneal wall, but still an early stage 2 cancer and a great prognosis.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 07:59PM

I'm on the 5 year plan. Prep sucks, but the procedure is no big deal. I was NOT asleep for any of them. I watched on the screen, really interesting. Colon cancer runs in the family, would rather be safe.

Posted by: excatholic ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 08:00PM

I had one and they found a few benign polyps. Same for dh. If they find them, they remove them and cancer is prevented, which is beyond fabulous. The prep isn't much fun. The one my doc used was less vile than the one dh's doc used. Same result, just easier to choke down.

Yes, you spend a few hours on the potty. It's not fun.

The last thing I remember is the IV. I had no recollection of the procedure and the anesthesia was awesome, kind of fun actually. I woke up telling everyone how great I felt, which amused the nurses.

I know somebody who died of colon cancer. He refused to get colonoscopies because they aren't fun. Colon cancer is a particularly unpleasant way to go.

Posted by: A Local NLI ( )
Date: November 23, 2016 09:44PM

Like sbg I'm on the 5 year plan, too. Colon cancer in the
family, etc.

Agree fully with Cheryl's responses.

Prep was over the counter, shopping list and recipe provided by
the medical facility. In addition I recommend purchasing the
smallest tube of Desitin and applying it before starting prep.
Saw this recommendation on the web. You won't regret this step.

I had conscious sedation and it worked out fine. The medical
facility was excellent and everyone was friendly, efficient,
and professional.

Just do it. Easy to say; I delayed this 5 years until I got up the courage...

Posted by: ColonicOpinion ( )
Date: November 24, 2016 03:32PM

I work in the medical field..here is my two cents.

Ever since ObamaCare, HMO's are pushing patients to have procedures and tests based on the American Medical Association's Guidelines. This is how they stay in business, by keeping cash flow coming IN by handing everyone the same "standard" based on your age and gender.

A GOOD physician will take a look at your health risks for Colon cancer first. Is there a history of Colon cancer in your family? Colonic polyps? Do you have any concerning GI symptoms? If yes, your risks are increased and most MD's will recommend you get the Colonoscopy procedure.

If not, ask your Doctor if you can get an "OBIMM" (Occult Blood Immuno Assay test instead of the procedure. This is a simple stool test you can do in the privacy of your home.

Legally before any procedure they are obligated to instruct you of any risks. This is done because in the case of some rare outcome, you cant say "Well no one told me that can happen".

My two cents,
If you have abnormal symptoms, increased health risks and family history..get the procedure. Your procedure risks will be smaller than your cancer risk.

If you are otherwise healthy, asymptomatic, with no family history, ask for the stool test.

Talk about it with your Primary Care Doc :) A good one is going to listen to your concerns and the YOU make the choice on what YOU think is best for you. I think too many people make their medical decisions based on what their Doctor said.

They are not your medical parent folks. Think of a Doctor like your medical advisor. You can always decline advice.

You do NOT have to obey.

CO

Date: November 26, 2016 02:04PM

Posted by: Healed ( )
Date: November 24, 2016 04:39PM

Very foolish and shortsighted not to get a colonoscopy at the age of 50. It is the only screening test that has prospectively proven to save lives. I would not be writing you this message today if I had foregone it!

Posted by: Anonny ( )
Date: November 25, 2016 11:03AM

Medical statistics are just that -- statistics. I had a very early and tiny case of breast cancer treated with mastectomy. I was told I was cured with only a 1.7 percent chance it would ever come back. I was treated at what many rank the best cancer center in the US and many would also rank the best cancer center in the world. I was offered a form of light chemo. I was told there was a 1 percent chance the chemo would cause leukemia. And the light chemo would reduce my chance of a recurrence by one percent. Essentially, a wash. My oncologist was against my doing the chemo. I didn't do it.

Three and a half years later, breast cancer was back with a vengeance. My current oncologist says my cancer is so aggressive light chemo would not have helped. I've spent the last year doing surgery, 20 rounds of strong chemotherapy, 25 radiation treatments and have now applied to a clinical trial. I have a 50-75 percent chance of a recurrence that will be fatal.

Personally, I'd get the test. Weighing the chances of cancer against the chances of harm from the test is a useless intellectual exercise. Catching cancer early is better than later but even catching it early is no guarantee, as I am sad proof. Also, with cancer, statistics mean little. There are too many genetic and other variables that statistics don't measure.

Only you can decide but IMO it's better to have the test and get some peace of mind. Take it from someone who will never have peace of mind again.

Date: November 25, 2016 11:26AM

What a worry! And so much pain.

I wish you good luck and much comfort.

Take care.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: November 25, 2016 12:28PM

Yes, Annony, everything Cheryl said.

Posted by: boilerluv ( )
Date: November 25, 2016 02:02PM

I had my second colonoscopy 2 weeks ago. (My first was 10 years ago.) They found one polyp, as they did the first time, which they removed and sent for biopsy, and it turned out to be the totally benign kind that never turns into cancer. They also found 2 internal hemorrhoids that they said were not a problem. I personally felt the prep this time was easier than time #1. Time #1 I gulped down the nasty stuff and then threw it all up a few minutes later and had to go buy more and drink it again...but more slowly. This time they specified 2 bottles of Gator Ade (no red or purple, so I got green and orange) and you put the dry stuff in it and let it sit overnite in the fridge so it is all dissolved and very cold. You drink it in 2 doses--one at like 3 in the afternoon the day before the procedure, then (this was the worst part), get up at 1:30 am and drink the rest and making it last until 3:30 am. Then poop some more liquid mostly, because you have had a 24 hour liquid diet) and don't drink anything else until after it's all over. The prep is no fun, but heck, we've all had diarrhea before, so it is really no big deal--just take that day off from work, and stay near your bathroom and sit there and read and eventually it's all just water you're passing. At the hospital, you get an IV, meet your doctor and the anesthetist and his/her assistants (if any), get wheeled down to the procedure room and they ask you to roll over on your left side and they put the sleepy stuff in your iv, and then you open your eyes and it's all over. I must have gotten rid of all the extra air they pumped in before I woke up because they never asked if I had farted. :) When I first got into the getting ready room, I said, "What if I still have some liquid in there that hasn't passed?" and they said, "Don't worry--we have a suction device that sucks it right out." So. No worries about that. You cannot drive for 24 hours afterward because technically you are still "under the influence" even if you don't feel like you are, and besides, you are going to be very sleepy because of losing so much sleep the night before, what with drinking the Gator Ade for 2 hours. So somebody has to take you and bring you back.

I had a good friend who died at age 39 from metastasized colon cancer that was not diagnosed until it had spread to her kidneys, liver, and bones. She was always taking iron pills at work, and I asked her why and she said her doctor thought she was probably anemic. If she was, it was because she had colon cancer and didn't know she was passing blood in her stool. She was a SUPER person who had a big Godzilla stuff collection and a HUGE Hello Kitty stuff collection. She was slim and had very short black hair and was beautiful and had several tattoos. She could sing opera and she and her husband had been married in Las Vegas by an Elvis impersonator. Her husband left her 3 months before her cancer diagnosis and never came back or checked back. She had to quit her job and move back in with her parents to die. Her name was Melanie Sharp. She was a little bit goth and a little bit rock and roll, and I loved her, and she would hit you over the head with a Godzilla figure if she heard you say you were going to skip having a colonoscopy.

Posted by: josephbworthless ( )
Date: November 25, 2016 02:48PM

Getting one this next week, appreciate the timeliness of this post. Best wishes all

Posted by: anononceagain ( )
Date: November 26, 2016 12:50AM

Thanks everyone! You have given me a lot to think about.

There is no history of colon cancer in my family but my dad died from prostate cancer because he never went to the doctor for check-ups. He was 64. Not fun watching him die so young and otherwise healthy.

Guess I need to reconsider. Thanks all. But I'm still scared.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: November 26, 2016 04:05PM

Also, google and read up on Versed and decide if you really want it. It's basically forced on patients without informing them of possible side effects. All it does is make you forget the procedure. Pretty convenient for the docs, but it can leave you in a slight fog for days/weeks or longer. Dirty little secret: most doctors turn it down for themselves. Valium is just fine.

Posted by: excatholic ( )
Date: November 26, 2016 04:10PM

The Versed was awesome.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.