Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous !! ( )
Date: November 25, 2016 07:41PM

I never was a full blown TBM, so I'm wondering if they always carry church clothes with them. Sounds like a huge hassle to me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 25, 2016 10:32PM

Oh, I have family who wouldn't think of missing church no matter what. In fact, a couple of Sundays ago, they went to one sacrament meeting with one relative and then sped over across town and went to one with another relative! Sheesh!

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: November 25, 2016 10:39PM

It's hard traveling with morons.

They always need a change

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: November 26, 2016 04:53AM

LOL! It was really tough in Hawaii, visiting the great-grandparents in their condo. I had to tell the children that they couldn't go to the beach on Sunday, and I had to iron the wrinkles out of the "crisp, white shirts", because it was so humid. Sunday clothes don't pack well.

My body was so damp in the humidity, that my panty hose would not slide on, so I had to go without, which met with everyone's disapproval. They had no idea that my husband and I had left our garments at home. How do they tolerate garments in the tropics?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 26, 2016 10:41PM

I hadn't really thought about Hawaii being humid before reading this post! Wowsy.

Have a relative who lives on Maui, who with every picture I've seen of her on Facebook is always without pantyhose. Always (except the rare occasions she goes to the opera or symphony, or such.)

A woman at the last ward I worshiped at where I live now is from Hawaii. Even in the dead of winter (and winter can be really rough in upstate NY,) she never wore pantyhose to Sacrament meetings, not once. Not leggings. Not tights. Always bare legs. I just chalked it up to she was from Hawaii and it was more likely the custom/culture she was used to. After reading your post, it makes perfect sense why she would opt to go without, and for her it became her fashion sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2016 10:43PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: November 26, 2016 08:47AM

I remember in high school for our band trip. A group of Mormons went to a nearby church on Sunday. I was asked if I wanted to go. I didn't and enjoyed my last day on the trip

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 26, 2016 10:11AM

Even I'm guilty of this. When travelling in Germany while stationed there in the AF, we'd bring church clothes to see how Mormons went to church in Austria or Denmark. It was stupid, and my kids (even the ones who remained active) hated it.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 26, 2016 01:49PM

My parents were fanatical fundamentalists polygamy sympathizers who harbored a "prophet" and some of his wives on our farm. Still, they didn't expect to bring church clothes or temple clothes on trips.

I think most TBM families are strict about certain commandments and lax about others, making a wide range of "typical" TBM family behaviors.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: November 26, 2016 09:13PM

Whenever we traveled--moved, actually--my idiot father would insist on attending the nearest Mormon church for Sunday meetings. Hours among strangers was how I spent the better part of my childhood, always among strangers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2016 09:14PM by donbagley.

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: November 26, 2016 09:59PM

Ahh but just think.

Supposing you were on holiday somewhere. You choose to give the local church a miss that sunday to have a decent holday instead.

What if, that very sunday, you were killed in some kind of horrible accident. And you hadn't attended church that morning.

Ooooooohhhhh, deary, deary me.

"Awful would be your state"

(and why do some Church quotes sound as if they were authored by Yoda??)

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 26, 2016 10:35PM

My TBM RM brother when traveling permits himself (and with family,) to miss Sabbath worship meetings if it conflicts with their schedule.

He may be among the more relaxed LDS I know on that subject, but he hasn't changed his stripes in a good long time.

Posted by: Anon sometimes ( )
Date: November 27, 2016 09:36AM

Not only do some of my TBM family travel with Sunday dress clothes & shoes but always with garments.....of course.

What about temple clothing? Do they travel with apron & cap & whites?

Just wondering

Posted by: Rameumpto ( )
Date: November 27, 2016 04:42PM

Temples used to have clothing rental for those that don't have appropriate clothes. Not sure if that's still the case. I've been out over 20 years.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 27, 2016 04:52PM

When I was in the singles ward and I traveled with some friends to the Grand Canyon, they wanted to go to church on Sunday and they actually had a meeting there at the lodge. But that is the only time I've ever gone to church when traveling.

I took note of Cheryl saying that tbm families can be strict about certain commandments and lax about others. There's my answer. My parents were never that strict about any of the commandments, though my mother expected us to go to our meetings and she had a family prayer every night, but that was about it.

Me, I decided to take it to the next level. Though my parents were disappointed and argued over whose fault it was that 4 of their 6 children weren't active mormon anymore, thank god they were never that TBM.

Posted by: darkprincess ( )
Date: November 28, 2016 02:33PM

As kids my parents took us camping and we always had church clothes and attended church at the closest building.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.