Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 28, 2016 09:26AM

The "Book Of Mormon" mentions horses, cattle, oxen, and other domesticated animals and plants of Europe but not turkeys -- the only known native domesticated animal in North America:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/23/science/turkey-domestication-mexico.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 28, 2016 09:33AM

Now that is an amazing find!

I'd always considered the turkeys of the early American continent to be "wild," not domesticated.

And yet they were then, as now, part of the food chain.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: November 28, 2016 09:43AM

Oh, they're in the BoM alright.

They called 'em "cureloms." :)

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 28, 2016 09:55AM

Sure, they're easy. I was domesticated only 25 years ago.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: November 28, 2016 10:54AM

My wife would argue that I am yet to be domesticated....

Date: November 28, 2016 12:36PM

:)

Date: November 28, 2016 12:49PM

My ol' lady already has that covered....

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: November 28, 2016 01:10PM

Maybe not domesticated, but hopefully house broken :)

Date: November 29, 2016 01:16AM

That could be a real challenge....

RB

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: November 28, 2016 01:01PM

Turkeys needed to be domesticated so that more meat and better returns on investment could be generated for the turkey farm investors. Heavenly Father has had the same need in these latter-days to make sure his prophets/apostles are well-rested and have ample control over many assets so they can lead/guide the Lord's kingdom. But instead of turkeys what Heavenly Father has is Mormons and to fulfill his Plan so wondrously this is what is done. From the time a Mormon is born until they die they are well-trained and geared towards domesticated lives. In Nursery they learn to be committed and follow directions through cheerios. Then they are carefully correlated up into higher levels towards making sacred commitments to the end of being at the head of good church-oriented families that in turn will produce numerous committed offspring. Then as the grandkids start growing and starting numerous large families their bodies will finally wear out from all that work along with the wonderful return on investment they provide to Heavenly Father in mission service, getting other people assimilated, cleaning chapels, callings, tithes, etc. and at this point in time its time for Heavenly Father to cull them as they are of no use any more in mortality.

The big difference is that these turkeys get to be slaughtered at the end of their usefulness so the turkey farmers get better return on investment. The Mormon leaders do get to have stewardship over the extra resources but the satisfaction that the Saint who toiled all their days for the Kingdom now have rest in Paradise. That's because the Mormons are children of God so they get paradise so they no longer will be treated like turkeys finally once they die.

For a while in Mormonism as the prophets were getting the bugs out via continuing revelation there were some Mormons who would act wild and think inappropriate thoughts. But thanks to the marvelous correlation programs they are well-reminded of the boundaries they must reside so they can get their feed and provide return on investment to Heavenly Father. Thus we have seen the marvelous work and wonder in domesticating Mormons :)

Thinking of turkey farming I'm reminded that from time to time there will be a wild turkey in the turkey farm who doesn't want to stay in their cages and be a good investment for the farmer. In such cases its best to cull the turkey and sell their meat ASAP so they don't contaminate the rest of the flocks from their purpose.

Isn't this marvelous :) I bear testimony by the truthfulness of the works that Joseph Smith claims were ancient, such as the Kinderhook Plates or Abraham papyri or the golden plates from Moroni on the Hill Cumorah, that this is the truth.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 06:55AM

I see that this is so.

Brethren and Sisters, Honest TBM is a True Messenger. I exhort you to give strict heed to his counsel.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 28, 2016 01:46PM

Turkey N. Backpacks?

Now hold on just a minute there!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: November 28, 2016 01:55PM

My dad operated a turkey farm on his 200 acre place in Massachusetts. It was a small operation, but they managed to get by.

:)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 28, 2016 10:34PM

"As ghawd is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLwidmacaRA

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: November 28, 2016 10:55PM

LOL. One of my favorites.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 01:11AM

Wait....

The Apostle Peter did not know turkeys could not fly?

Posted by: Nitpicking Cabdriver (nli) ( )
Date: November 28, 2016 11:01PM

To be domesticated; I was thinking of the guinea pig, but then I realized they were native to South America and apparently were domesticated around 5,000 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinea_pig

Of course John L. Sorenson insists tapirs were domesticated and ridden by Nephite warriors…

Dogs, of course, were a domesticated animal that was probably brought over from Asia; they apparently cross-bred back with wolves in North America, resulting in the black varieties we see in North American wolves but not in gray wolves in Eurasia.

Jared Diamond's "Guns, Germs, and Steel" is an excellent overview of how North America was populated and why farming and domesticated animals arose first in the "Fertile Crescent" and later spread to other parts of Eurasia.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 12:29AM

Guinea pigs could have been the BOM "horses" if the Nephites and Lamanites were small mouse-sized creatures. That would explain why none of their weapons or armor or chariots have ever been found. Their swords would have been like what we use to hold together sandwiches.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 28, 2016 11:31PM

Beer!

Everything fell into place for humankind's bright and happy future when beer was domesticated!!!

Posted by: John Mc ( )
Date: November 29, 2016 12:31AM

Turkeys were mentioned in the BoM. The whole thing is a turkey.

Date: November 29, 2016 07:15AM

Funny that this turkey thing parallels with cotton. Cotton is a fabric that was indigenous to the American continent, along with agave, wool, and inner tree bark. Whilst those are never mentioned in the BoM, silk and linen are. That, of course, is a major anachronism, since silk was a rather late development in Europe, and became a common cottage industry in Joseph Smith's time. Linen is from flax, a totally European crop, brought over by settlers, and, of course, common in Smith's time.

Date: November 29, 2016 09:50AM

And... I'm not saying they did. Chinese kept the secret as long as they could. Once the secret was out, it was remarkably easy to do. Just feed them worms. I recall that you had to feed them mulberry.

Date: November 29, 2016 01:29PM

All the world knows that Joseph Smith made it up. It amazes me how strong the conditioning is and how difficult it is to get those behind the Zion Curtain to realise that.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 08:43AM

Domesticating turkeys is easy. You catch them, put them in a pen, they are then domesticated. It's not like you need to housebreak them, or train them not to attack you while they're living with you.

Posted by: whatif ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 09:05PM

Are you sure they are domesticated?

Have you ever walked up to a Turkey? They chase you, jump at you, and are just plain mean!

I stay away from Turkeys... they are not friendly at all!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.