Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anonuk (nli) ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 10:03AM

Lead plates bound together with rings have been found allegedly by a jordanian bedouin, passed to an israeli bedouin and then back to the jordanian authorities after spending some time within israel.

Why the news is being released now is suspect since it will cause a lot of 'joseph smith DID find plates' and 'the church is twoo' to exude from the mouths of TBMs towards all of we apostates they can be bothered to gloat at.

Just a heads up so you can be aware of this before it reaches tbms:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3985150/Is-written-mention-Jesus-2-000-year-old-lead-tablets-remote-cave-genuine-claim-researchers.html

There is no proof the plates were written when they claim, just that the metal is from the period they claim.

Further, in the article someone who worked on the dead sea scrolls is mentioned to have 'translated' from said scrolls a prophecy that a metal book would be found (never heard that bit before about the dead sea scrolls but never mind). Mormons will no doubt claim this metal book prophecy is about the mythical golden plates written 400 years before they were buried half way around the world, rather than this wee lead codice.

None of the symbols look anything like the 'reformed egyptian' "caractors" written by joey boy for the benefit of doubters, so no link with reformed egyptian and 'proto-hebrew'.

Any other input to tear this news apart is welcome. My biggest wonder is why now and is the church powerful enough to have anything to do with engineering this news release for around about now? Or is it merely a happy coincidence for them that this will provide confirmation bias for all faithful but 'troubled' tbms?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 10:16AM

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 11:30AM

Its my guess joey cued on gold for the shock and attention it would cause....lead seems far more likely a material...at least with lead you wouldnt have to run through the forest with 200 lbs under your arm all the while fighting off two brigands...then the silly bugger starts the talk about anybody seeing them will be struck dead...why didnt he just flash the buggers then...i do believe two guys may have been chasing him...but likely he owed them money...or hed diddled their sister...thats the guy ive come to know...geez its hard to admit i suckered for such tapir tirds

Posted by: MarkJ ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 11:41AM

Babylonians and Sumerians were writing on tablets thousands of years earlier. They had the good sense to use clay. Cheap, easily formed, and durable for thousands of years.

Posted by: Ohdeargoodness nli ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 11:37AM

Holy moly, never thought I'd get anything useful out of my archaeometallurgy (i.e. ancient metals) class from study for my masters. It was right after lunch and the teacher used Power Point. And a lot of charts. It made for a good nap though!

However, I can tell you this: You can't "date" metal the way you can wood or anything carbon based. With metal, you can analyze composition and how it was forged, melted, molded, whatever.

To forge something like this, you would only need to know how impure or pure your metal or alloy needed to be and only use era appropriate tools.

By and by, the paleo would be pretty easy to fake as well as we have very few examples of it compared to Hebrew post-exilic Square Script (Hebrew as we know it today) and it was never standardized the way the Masoretes standardized pointed Hebrew.

In other words, if I had to choose the easiest antiquity to forge, it would be this, but I'd come up with a bigger back story. The Israelis are VERY adamant about all archaeological finds being handed overly promptly to the government. Book club Bedouins? Yeah, someone got lazy there.

Just my two cents. :)

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 11:45AM

Ohdeargoodness nli Wrote:

Book club Bedouins?

lol

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 12:13PM

And ohmygarshgoodness, I went a-Googling and started a-giggling... I actually remembered seeing these claims before, and it's comforting to discover I still have most of my faculties as I approach my dotage.

Regular RFM readers will recognize the first two names on the following (hint: years ago I nicknamed one "Denial C." and the other "Bull"):

https://danielomcclellan.wordpress.com/2011/03/31/peter-thonemann-on-the-lead-codices/

Roadkill...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Lead_Codices

Okay, apparently they are claiming they used C-14 dating on the leather, which is credible, but it appears we have yet another "Pious Fraud" (see Shroud of Turin)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2016 12:18PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 11:45AM

Well, it does mention a male/female god; mormons can't have that!

Posted by: seekyr ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 05:18PM

Not unless the female god is somehow subservient to the male god, then it might be okay.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 01:58PM

Let's suppose that they are genuine--

1. They are written in paleo Hebrew and can be translated by scholars
2. They are non-orthodox concerning Christ's messianic purpose
3. They are non-orthodox concerning the trinitarian nature of God, including, gender

Antiquity scholars have a text that they know existed and can translate it. These scholars have told us for years that many hetero-orthodox groups existed before proto-orthodox, canonical Christianity was formalized.

The find, if genuine, supports the preponderance of findings from antiquity scholarship. The preponderance of scholars in this field tell us there is no evidence for the Book of Mormon or Book of Abraham.

I fail to see how, other than with a new faith-promoter rumor, this find benefits Mormonism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2016 02:01PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: Princess Telestia ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 02:11PM

I just translated it....it's (gasp) a record of ancient alcohol mixology recipes. Now who wants to wash down a Sinai Soul Split with me?!?! Warning you will be knocked out for days....(Maybe I'm a prophetess now...)

Date: November 30, 2016 08:20PM

Wow! You used your spiritual eyes that scholars don't posses to translate the true meaning of these ancient texts. I say, there's a new prophetess in town who's kicking ass. And yes, I'll throw back a Lots' Sodom with a Negev Lager chaser with you! Cheers, the Boner!

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 08:57PM

I wanted it to be a lead bodice or a lead codpiece... Both would have been more interesting.

Date: November 30, 2016 09:25PM

Well, it's obvious that you have never worn a codpiece. Lead would not have provided room for expansion. The best codpieces were made of finely woven broadcloth with ermine borders. Trust me, these would tickle your fancies.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 09:32PM

Didn't the Tanners have one of these? Well, without the fancy engraving.

Are they sure they haven't found the remnants of an old car battery?

Posted by: elderpopejoy ( )
Date: November 30, 2016 09:57PM

Hoaxers seem to breed like maggots over the ages. This dirty lead codpiece is an obvious continuation of buried-book scams.

It's doubtful these new jesters, unlike the three guys who manufactured joseph's brass bell fakes, will ever confess their transparent joke.

http://hoaxes.org/archive/permalink/kinderhook_plates

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.