Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 04:09PM

I may have mentioned this before here but I don’t remember, but I’m what I’ve always called a “car geek.” By that, I mean that I love cars and looking at them, both new and old and custom and stock stuff. My mother used to say that I could tell the difference between a Ford and a Chevy at 3 years old, but it took me longer to know the difference between a cow and a horse. My older brother, who was 17 when I was born, told me recently that he think he was the one who said that about me.

On Facebook, I belong to 3-4 car groups, where people post car pictures (duh!). My favorite is one called V.I.S.I.T, which means “Vehicles I see in traffic” and we post pictures only of stuff we actually see on the road or in parking lots. There are 5-6 moderators who monitor it very strictly and remove stuff that doesn’t qualify. When my car got damaged on the roof, I thought I would show the pictures. I did and it was deleted within an hour or so, which is OK.

There’s a couple other car groups that posting is a little less strict and I can spend WAY too much time looking at cool pictures of cars and people in cars. One posted yesterday was a picture of JFK and his wife, riding in a 1957 Chevy Belair convertible during his election campaign.

When I was a kid going to church, there was no time for my dad to take me to custom car shows on a Saturday when he was the EQ president(or other callings) And of course you didn’t do stuff like that on Sundays. I didn’t resent him for it, it was just the way life was.

I just had a Facebook conversation with a young guy about a picture of a 1966 Plymouth Fury III sedan, a big car by today’s standards. (My uncle Ruben in American Fork had one).This kid said that his neighbor now in the Ventura area of CA has a 1966 Plymouth Convertible and he restored it all himself (except for paint) in his garage. I mentioned that it’s probably the biggest car he’s ever seen. His response was to mention his neighbor when he was a teen had a 1965 Lincoln Continental Convertible (bigger than the Plymouth) and this kid, his dad and the man and his 2 sons went out for a ride on PCH one Sunday, a hubcap came off and they had to stop and the owner ran into traffic to get the hubcap back.

I thought to myself that it would have been fun having a dad like that who took his kid out for a ride in a fancy car. But it was not something that we had time to do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sweet revenge ( )
Date: December 05, 2016 04:17PM

I agree..

from my 10th birthday to age 20 my dad was in the bishopric.
When we did leave Friday night for an outing we had to be home sat night to be ready for church next day.
My trip to Disneyland and knots berry ( only once) was when I was 7 and we stayed in a seedy motel next to the LA temple.
When I think of all the trips we missed and the money and most important time he gave what a fuggin ugly waste.
So after I retired I hauled my dad everywhere on Sundays and made up for it and never gave the Church a chance to phuk me in his older age.

Living well and happy is the best revenge!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.