Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 07:57AM

Sitcom legend and father of Robin Thicke dies suddenly.

Cause of death: heart failure. Another end of an era draws to a close ...

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/13/us/alan-thicke-dead/index.html

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2016 09:06AM by Amyjo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 10:19AM

So surprising. As far as was publicly known, he was healthy and had no history of heart disease.
A good case for going to your doctor and getting a checkup!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 11:53AM

He spent Thanksgiving with his ex-wife and children.

She is as shocked as anyone else. He was the epitome of good health last time they met.

I wish his family only the best during this very difficult time.

Posted by: JVN087 ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 02:41PM

I was driving home from yoga class listening to the radio, i heard an ad for some tax defense firm with Alan Thicke as the celebrity spokesman... then the new came on at the top of the hour, where they reported him dead...

Quite a coincidence. I guess since it was unexpected, they did not have a chance to stop the ad from being played

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: December 14, 2016 02:56PM

Deaths like this always remind me of how much that our generation is aging and those who impacted our growing up years, in one form or another, are passing.

RIP and may peace be given to his family and loved ones in this time of mourning..

Posted by: SoCal Apostate ( )
Date: December 15, 2016 12:13AM

RIP to a classy actor and a genuinely good person.

***Hijack in progress, resolution coming soon.***

I have a dear friend who is a live-in, part-time employee at Alan's ranch in Carpenteria. I haven't called him yet, as I don't want to get in the way during the intense times that must be going on for those close to the family, but am sure that he and his wife are both grieving and also worried about what the future will bring.

To bring this back on subject of ex-Mormonism, as an atheist, I find it harder to communicate my empathy. "I'm sending prayers" now translates to "I'm dong nothing, but I'll invoke the name of a made-up, all-important sky-daddy to make the point that I care."

That message is idiotic to me now (I am not saying that believers are idiotic, but that non-believers using "sending prayers" as a means to express empathy is idiotic).

I do have my own thoughts on getting around this problem, and have a few things that I will be dong for my friend over the coming days and weeks, so this isn't a cry for help, but rather a request for thoughts and discussion on the subject to see what we can come up with.

***It just hit me that this is a major hijack, so please don't respond here. I'll leave this post here to direct traffic, but please let the thread here remain for condolences, reflection, and whatever else is appropriate for the OP's intentions. I'll start a new thread and post a link after a quick break to deal with a couple of other things.***

Posted by: SoCal Apostate ( )
Date: December 15, 2016 12:55AM

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 15, 2016 01:04AM

Good guy. Very talented. Very Canadian. Only fitting he was playing hockey with his kid when he passed. RIP. Condolences to his family.

RB

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.