Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Puff the Magic Dragon 2 ( )
Date: December 31, 2016 02:28AM

Just an update to this post. The author lied to all of us when she claimed that her mom was taken by members of her ward. The truth of the matter is that she has been abusing her mom physically and mentally for many many years. The last straw came when she bashed her head into the washing machine and then broke a vase and threatened to cut her. She said she was going to go get her boyfriends knife and be right back. This is when her mom ran out of the house to the safety of her Mormon neighbors. So this time it was a good thing the Mormons were around to protect her! This mentally ill person was served papers for an order of protection by the police. She then attacked the police officer and they carted her off to jail. The advice everyone gave was sound, but just for the wrong person. Her mom is now in protection from this daughter of hers. Unfortunately her mom will not press charges. I am sad that the state she is from does not have laws to protect from elder abuse.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 31, 2016 07:57AM

Posted by: just sayin ( )
Date: December 31, 2016 08:44AM

Maybe so, Cheryl, but many of those states require that the victim press charges and testify. It's why people get away with domestic abuse - it's not a crime against the State.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 31, 2016 11:40AM

Mormons don't have a right to take the law into their own hands. They need to involve law authorities if they take a person from their home. Saying they are helping isn't proof of such.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 31, 2016 09:24AM

Is the mother back in her own home? Or was she living at her daughter's house?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 31, 2016 09:52AM

If what you're saying *is* true, then the laws *are* there, but the woman's mother is unwilling to prosecute her daughter for harming her.

So you tell us the mother has an order of protection, and the daughter is now out of the house, after being carted off to jail? How is that not protecting herself, or the law intervening?

Maybe you're more than a little confused as to what the law can and cannot do to protect people from themselves.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2016 09:55AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Puff the Magic Dragon 2 ( )
Date: December 31, 2016 11:37AM

I have some more information again. The mom is out of her home and the house is going on the market. She is in a safe place but I cannot disclose the location.

What is confusing for me is that in her State, the clergy are mandated reporters. So I am guessing that her Bishop and Stake President have either not disclosed to the State that she was being abused, or they have, but the mom will not press charges.

In any case, she is very safe at this point and her daughter belongs in jail!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 31, 2016 11:45AM

>>The mom is out of her home and the house is going on the market.

Beyond physical abuse, there is also a danger of elder financial abuse. Unfortunately we've heard of too many cases of it on this board. A parent or grandparent gets frail and elderly, and the vultures swoop in. Hopefully that is not the case here.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 31, 2016 11:49AM

Religions need to report this stuff immediately instead of thinking they should meddle, and solve things within the church.

People, don't go running to your Rabbi or Bishop or Priest! Go to the authorities and stop letting the religions decide when they can't cover it up or deal with it anymore. If enough observant people would have done that, the mother would not have been abused as long while the religion stirs and swirls with the issues that belong in the hands of the law and professionals.

It should not be someone from the church that comes to take you away for cripes sake.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 31, 2016 12:10PM

She's fortunate the daughter was dumb enough to try to beat up the cops (never a good idea). But if she was in custody, how did she access the forum? I remember the OP. No wonder she was coming across kind of crazy. Apparently she's controlling too.

The fruits of Mormonism aren't pretty. I don't want to be harsh, but things can get ugly in Private Idaho.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: December 31, 2016 12:20PM

The Mormon church tends to enable the abusers, based on my observations as an adult watching leaders in the morg defend predators and abusers on both ends of the age range, from elder abuse to child abuse.

I wouldn't trust the opinions of Mormon clergy any more than I would the people who hide behind them, for damage control.

This whole situation sounds screwed up to me.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 31, 2016 01:35PM

OK, so the original OP was lying through her teeth, but we are supposed to trust current OP, though we don't even really know whether current OP is not just the original OP, continuing the yarn.

Some posts are signal, some are noise. Fairly or not, I'm putting this subject in my "noise" bin, down there next to "Stormy".

May 2017 be a better year. [That ought to be applicable, whatever the case]

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.