Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 04, 2017 08:11PM

This post is somewhat related to Mormonism as the person I'm typing about is a true believing member of The Community of Christ (formerly RLDS.)

This person is a former coworker, real friend until they wanted me to support them in a fiction, and Facebook friend.

On Facebook they post a lot of "type amen," blessings, prayer/pray for [something], God bless, etc. posts.

Today they posted this and got some likes.

"Treat me well and I'll
move mountains to make
you happy.
Hurt me and I'll drop
those mountains on
your head."

I've heard of having the faith to move mountains but this is an interesting use of mountains and it doesn't sound very "turn the other cheek" type of cheeky.

So, is being a Christian 'really' an Old Testament religion when someone hurts you and a New Testament religion when you are treated well?

I'm friends with quite a few Christians on Facebook but maybe there is something like a Facebook Christian?

I'm having trouble understanding these people's faith and what it is supposed to do with mountains?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 04, 2017 08:20PM

If the mountain came out of the backend of a horse, I could totally understand it.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 04, 2017 08:33PM

It's hyperbole. Muddled thinkers use it a lot:

"Faith can move mountains."

"Tithers receive the greatest blessings."

"No force on Earth can stop the gospel from growing and absorbing whole nations."

Date: January 04, 2017 09:53PM

donbagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's hyperbole. Muddled thinkers use it a lot:

Speaking of muddled thinkings check this out just now posted by a Mormon from my mission and she posted something in English which is surprising to me since I think it is her first English post and we've been Facebook friends for awhile.

https://www.facebook.com/1013506498711691/photos/a.1013662012029473.1073741828.1013506498711691/1340262702702734/

Why is it muddled thinking?

Because Mormon pay tithing and expect blessings in return.

But that comparison will never cross her mind.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: January 04, 2017 09:13PM

Moving mountains seems like a lot of work for not much gain in this case. Plus, moving mountains is often really bad for the environment--habitat gets destroyed, rivers fill up with silt, etc.

I much prefer farting in an elevator:

"Treat me well and I promise I won't fart when we're in the elevator together.

Hurt me and when we're headed down to the ground floor where a bunch of people are waiting, I'll fart and then get off on the second floor, leaving you alone in the elevator when the doors open on 'G'."

Date: January 04, 2017 09:54PM

The faith to move methane.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 04, 2017 10:31PM

The prophecy was that in the last days the house/temple of the lord would be established in the mountains. That all nations should flow to it. That an ensign or flag would be set up on the tops of the mountains.

Isaiah 2:2 Micha 4:1

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 04, 2017 10:37PM

I have no faith but when I'm in the Rockies I feel very peaceful.

Posted by: Cpete ( )
Date: January 04, 2017 10:53PM

Here's the relation. https://youtu.be/GV3E5e7fZ6M

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: January 05, 2017 06:07AM

I am pretty sure your friend drives a digger, and is offering to charge "mates rates" on large jobs. I think he/she is also emphasizing the importance of not distracting a person who is using heavy equipment, eg by pinching them, because it can be very dangerous to everyone. I am almost certain that is what your friend is trying to say.

Posted by: silvergenie ( )
Date: January 05, 2017 08:03AM

No you've all got it wrong. This is where the mountains come in

...'Holy Zeus!' Hermes gasped as he watched the souls of thousands of sinful, whisky swilling, fornicating, brawling Scotsmen emptying the ashes out of the furnace instead of stoking it up.

'Will somebody please tell me what the hell is going on in Hades?'

'Aah, Hermes,' purred the sexiest voice he'd ever heard. 'I'm spring cleaning. Could you spare a moment to give me a hand with this mountain?'

Hermes whirled around. Standing behind him was a beautiful young woman dressed in black. Extending a well manicured hand, she introduced herself.

'I'm Lucy Fer, new manager of the underworld. Now, about that mountain....'

‘New manager?' queried Hermes. 'What happened to me old mate Hades?'

'Oh him, his contract came up for renewal, but he didn't have a hope in hell. Amazing what a low cut top and a firm arse can do to an all male board of directors. But come along now, I've got to get this place cleaned up. I was told Faith can move mountains, but she's disappeared, so you'll have to help instead.'

'But,but... I'm a messenger, union rules you know...'

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 05, 2017 09:00AM

I'd post back:

"News flash: your faith can't move a mountain, and your anger can't drop one on somebody. Try joining us in reality, and ditching the ancient ignorant proven-false superstitions. Oh, and go see an anger management counselor...if you want to kill people who don't treat you well by dropping mountains on them, you have a real problem."

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: January 05, 2017 09:57AM

It is very unchristian to threaten to drop a mountain on anyone and since christ said that to even imagine breaking a commandment (thinking of murder via dropping mountains) is as bad as completing the 'sinful' act itself, it's a pretty awful thing for an alleged 'follower of christ' to post on facebook hoping for a viral audience.

The whole thing with 'mountain' symbolically is, it is representative of government, or of the system in charge of society.

Hence, if your faith can move mountains, it is because it can cause such a ripple of infection of 'faith' in others that ultimately it leads to change in the system in charge of society. Not gonna happen whilst humans are around with their desire to subjugate others and place themselves 'above' others with self-conferred 'special' or 'superior' status.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: January 05, 2017 10:54AM

Billy was a mountain
Ethyl was a tree
growing off of his shoulder

F. Zappa

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: January 05, 2017 02:33PM

The tree was growing up in the forest
On a mountain made of rock and stone
The tree kept the stone from falling off the mountain
And stone kept the tree from falling down
Two best friends coexisting peacefully
Living on the mountain throughout the centuries
Happy and together by the clear running stream
So begins the story of the stone and the tree

The tree heard the sounds of the wagons coming
And the stone heard the buzz saw begin to howl
The tree was cut down and loaded in the wagons
And the stone was pulled up from the ground
The tree said "I hate to say goodbye my friend"
The stone said "I love ya man until the end"
Saying goodbye trying hard not to cry
The stone and tree were taken from the mountain side

The stone was taken to the old rock quarry
And the tree to the lumber yard down the road
Broken and cut into many little pieces
They were made into a house with a patio
The tree woke up and didn't know what to think
The stone just figured he'd had too much to drink
But the one familiar thing was the clear running stream
So goes the story of the stone and the tree

Now the patio was looking at the house with wonder
And the house was staring at the patio
Both felt something strange yet familiar
Like the love and friendship they used to know
The tree said "stone its good to see you again"
The tree said "stone you'll always be my friend"
Happy and together by the clear running stream
So ends the story of the stone and the tree.

Original lyrics to the song "The Stone and the Tree" by Jonny the Smoke © 2012

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: January 05, 2017 02:19PM

Faith that moves mountains is spiritual Eco-terrorism.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: January 05, 2017 05:43PM

Faith does not move mountains, but dynamite can. I have faith in dynamite. Though that might be misplaced. I have faith that a lit fuse in dynamite will move a mountain. I don't have faith in the person lighting the fuse. Just hop they did it right. If they blow up. I had faith they did it right, dumb ass.

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: January 05, 2017 11:43PM

Faith can't move mountains. There is no evidence to show that a faithful person ever moved a single mountain.

(I guess that is not strictly true. Some faithful people have jobs in mining or construction and operate earth-moving machinery like bulldozers. Some mountains have indeed been completely torn down or else built up from scratch. But it wasn't the faith that did the job, it was the heavy equipment.)

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 08, 2017 01:50AM

When I was in my teens, and my father was dying from a then-untreatable kidney disease, a friend of my grandmother's gave me a copy of Mary Baker Eddy's book, the foundation of Christian Science. She assured me that if I studied the book and learned how to pray in just the right way, I could prevent my father's death.

Mary Baker Eddy was a contemporary of Emerson, so the book was pretty heavy going for a teenager. But I tried. Oh, how I tried!

But my father died anyway, despite my best efforts, and for YEARS, I felt burdened with guilt for not getting the prayers right. It was MY fault that Daddy died. The fact that my mother, an angry person by nature, called BS on this, did not help.

I was bitter about this for a long time. Now, I can see it for the delusion that it was. But what a cruel thing to do to a youngster who is watching a beloved parent died, unable to do anything about it!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.