Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 08:44AM

If I recall correctly, the Duane Crowther book "Prophecy--Key to the Future," used to hold all the mysteries and prophecies that would come to pass in the latter days, just before mankind was f*cked and Jebus would be forced to descend and save the asses of any remaining people. And furthermore, if I remember correctly, the book was used in gospel doctrine class in the 1960s or 70s as a study text, back when Mormons were taught that this stuff was part of doctrine. Back when Mormons had a handle on what they thought were the "mysteries of the Kingdom."

So, anyway, I got to thinking about this book, wondering if it would enlighten me on what Mormons are actually expected to believe, but--due to advanced passive-aggression by Mormon leaders--are not actually taught. Or have Mormons actually abandoned the beliefs taught in Crowther's book? Anyone know this stuff? Is it worth a read?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 12:13PM

It brings tears of joy to the eyes of any informed true believer when they read of the glorious prophecies of how New York City will be destroyed by an earthquake, Boston by a tidal wave, and Albany by fire. In the 19th century these leaders promised that these calamaties would happen very soon so I presume that a google search ought to find the supporting documentation necessary to help strengthen testimonies and prove the exmormons as being clueless.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 01:12PM

A better use of the money IMHO would be a case of Bud and I don't even drink beer.
I own the book. If there were any prophecy involved there might be value to owning it.

I personally would not waste my money until I had read the book and evaluated its' use to me.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 01:26PM

For a buck, go for it. Otherwise pass.

There was a time where mormons were taught that there would be calamities as described in the book of mormon. Civilization would collapse and only the church with its priesthood leadership and divine welfare program would hold the country together.

The collapse would pave the way for Lamanite and mormons to return to Missouri and build the new Jerusalem. A requisite for Christ to return.

Of course the spineless Hinckley would say that we don't teach these things.

Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 02:49PM

I've read that book. My stepfather fancies himself to be a Mormon intellectual and gospel scholar (he's neither) and has it in his library.

Much of it comes from Orson Pratt's random brain droppings from the JoD. It could have been subtitled "Orson Pratt: Speaking As a Man" or "When Orson Pratt Wouldn't STFU."

I wouldn't shell out more than $2-3 for it.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: January 13, 2017 04:35PM

Hearing about this book makes me realize something.

When I was growing up in Southern Idaho back in the 50's and 60's, these types of books and writings were all the rage. The more speculative and conspiracy oriented, the more they were talked about. They were discussed in various classes at church. There was almost an excitement in my immediate and extended family about what was coming soon and how the LDS church was going to save the day. My relatives were almost giddy about showing those heathen non members that WE.HAD.THE.TRUTH, so neener, neener.

Now....not so much. In fact, these books are largely an embarassment and NO one in my family talks about them AT ALL.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.