Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: moira ( )
Date: January 16, 2017 06:55PM

Not knowing much about the 2nd Anointing, IIRC, one has to be invited/sponsored to receive it. I'm curious if anyone knows if it is just for succe$$ful people climbing the LDS' ladder rungs via Mission President, GA, in the church leadership heirarchy or if "rockstars" of the entertainment industry and government (Senators, Representatives, Governors) are also invited to the private club. Anyone?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: January 16, 2017 07:03PM

I'd be shocked if Mitt Romney hasn't had it.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: January 16, 2017 07:07PM

And Orin Hatch. But I doubt if any "celebrities" have gotten it.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: January 16, 2017 07:56PM

Yes, I would be very surprised if people tithing the kind of bux that mittens does aren't recipients.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: January 16, 2017 07:28PM

If I recall right Tom Phillips (or maybe the 70 from Scandinavia, who backed out of mormondom?) did a segment in Mormon Stories podcast were he said that the stake president, is to identify potential "couples" not single people, not widowers, not widows, not handicap people, to receive the 2nd endowment. They must be of the kind that will not likely change their mind afterwards and go inactive.

Posted by: Gheco ( )
Date: January 16, 2017 07:31PM

The Lafferty brothers are Mormon celebrities.

Not sure if they recieved the ceremony.

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: January 16, 2017 07:47PM

I doubt many would confess to having received it unless they first fall away from the twooth.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 16, 2017 08:23PM

The ceremony in olden times required a man and a woman. Part of the ceremony had the woman annoint the man in preparation of his death as Mary annointed Christ. Some say this involves drying his feet with her hair.

I know in the past, a widowed person could receive the 2nd annointing with a proxy standing in for the deceased spouse. Such was the case with an ancestor of mine.

This was in the 1870s. Maybe today they no longer perform the ceremony for the dead.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.