Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: January 19, 2017 05:41PM

if some of the aggressive driving/speeding etc is caused by people who are late for some sort of church meeting.

Mormon standard time is a thing. People don't really want to be there, but show up to meetings late due to a sense of obligation. I've often wondered if this puts extra stress on drivers and makes for some bad decisions.

Or, maybe some Utah drivers have a feeling that gawd is protecting them cause they prayed to be safe.

Whatever it is, I am always scared to drive the stretch of I-15 between Davis and Utah County. Aggressive speeding ALL.THE.TIME.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: January 19, 2017 06:53PM

I also think that people who don't use turn signals cause lots of wrecks. That's not unique to Utah though

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 19, 2017 07:00PM

They started drinking Coca Cola and angered their Lord.

Posted by: Drew90 ( )
Date: January 19, 2017 07:00PM

It's ridiculous driving here. I'm going the speed limit in the right lane. Yet I will have somebody tailgate me. And they won't just pass me on the left

Posted by: Kathleen nli ( )
Date: January 19, 2017 07:15PM

Texting

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 19, 2017 07:30PM

Drivers in NYC and Boston are speed demons but very competent. Drivers on the Washington, D.C. beltway are among the worst in the country. I'm not sure why.

So speed is not necessarily the issue. They are probably just bad drivers.

Posted by: Pariah ( )
Date: January 19, 2017 08:24PM

Well, Utah is #1 in tranquilizer abuse.

In California high school driver's education class, we were all taught to "drive defensively" and to be courteous.

This is the big secret to the successful merging of traffic. Always let others merge in front of you, and change lanes in front of you. This keeps the traffic flowing along.

In Utah, wherever there's a merge, traffic comes to a screeching halt. Cars cut other cars off, and don't let them merge ahead of them. Many will zoom ahead of the line of traffic, to cut into the line further on down, and all the cars in the line have to put on the brakes to let that one car (or 30 cars) squeeze in ahead.

"Me First" is the attitude of Utah drivers.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: January 19, 2017 08:49PM

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 19, 2017 08:54PM

It was on CNN today that fatalities on the highways are at the highest levels in more than 50 years between this year and last year.

It asks what is causing this? It lists a number of reasons, but the one it left out is the increase in the speed law that Utah and Idaho passed since 2015.

That in itself has increased the fatalities in those states. A trooper where my brother lives in Idaho explained to him that the number of accidents have stayed the same. But the fatality rate increased since the increase in the speeding law went into effect.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.