Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon*** ( )
Date: January 22, 2017 01:47PM

I've been on here for the last year, reading to all your posts. My daughter had started dating a mormon at that time and I frankly didn't know anything about the religion, other than they dressed conservatively and didn't drink caffeine. But started getting bad vibes from her boyfriend's family and started doing some research and now I get it and so does my daughter. She broke things off with him recently and I am so thankful! I can't even imagine if our family had not been able to attend our own daughter's wedding or had to watch her live a life of torment! Just wanted to say thank you to all of you! You saved our family a lifetime of anguish!

THank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!
Much love.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: January 22, 2017 01:59PM

You are welcome. This is a caring community here. If you have time and an inclination, give us a little more detail. We always enjoy success stories. Your story could help someone else's son or daughter from joining the corporation.

Date: January 22, 2017 02:36PM

Well, just to share for any other families going through the same issues, it's been a difficult year of lots of arguments and tears with my daughter. She's called me a Mormon Hater because I would try to explain how the religion viewed her etc. But I just couldn't give up! I would print out conversation threads from this blog for her to see how others felt and were being treated by the church and just leave it on her desk for her to read. And then her boyfriends mom would do one nice thing and it would put us back at square one. It's funny how Mormonism makes you feel like you're just not good enough, religious enough, so my daughter kept trying harder. After a year of this we are finally done! My daughter finally sees Mormonism for what it is and she has no desire to be a part of it. Definitely dodged a cannon, not just a bullet!

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 03:38PM

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: January 22, 2017 02:05PM

Dear anon, your whole family dodged a bullet there! Best wishes to all y'all!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 22, 2017 02:41PM

I'm happy and relieved that your daughter broke it off. You're a good and caring parent to take the trouble of reading and posting here for her sake.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: January 22, 2017 02:58PM

You know what ex-mos and nevermos do better than Mormons?

Exhale. :)

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 22, 2017 03:50PM

I'm so happy for you and for your daughter. She's lucky to have a parent who does their homework. The future is much brighter for your family now.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 22, 2017 04:02PM

We love success stories! Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: January 22, 2017 05:29PM

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: January 22, 2017 05:33PM

Was boyfriend TBM? Determined to turn her into a Molly Mormon and take her to the temple?

Yowsers....

Date: January 23, 2017 04:17PM

ExBoyfriend was not TBM when they first met, but has slowly started embracing the church more and more. Would get defensive if my daughter said something anti mormon and it started creating a rift. His entire family is TBM and funny enough, had they been nice to her I have no doubts that she would have converted! Thank goodness, in this weird way, that they weren't welcoming to her.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 05:09PM

And that's the rub. They would never have accepted her, even if she did convert. Because most mormons believe that converts are second class citizens. People who were the good people in the life before this one, ended up Mormon. All others were less than.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 11:36PM

This is so true. A Utah Mormon friend dumped the love of his life because her parents were Mormon but not active. Instead he married a rabid Mormon whose father was a 70. Their marriage has survived but he has had to sacrifice so much of himself to keep her happy.

I thank my lucky stars I never married when I was TBM.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 02:48AM

Did your daughter become baptized during her year of practicing Mormonism? You say she kept trying harder, and gave up because she couldn't be good or perfect enough. It sounds like she joined.

If she did she'll likely want to resign ASAP, now that she realizes what a ruse it is.

Best wishes to you and yours.

Date: January 23, 2017 04:21PM

She did not convert. I told her she needed to read the BOM and understand what she was converting into. She is very Christian, attends nondenominational Christian church on Sundays, and always thought, because he told her, that Mormons were Christian too. Thankfully, it took her a very long time to get through the BOM. I would watch her read and read, highlight, cross reference to the Bible and I think finally she gave up! It's been a long road and we learned a lot about Mormonism.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 23, 2017 03:57PM

Your diligence in researching and digging up the real facts is a priceless gift that you have given your daughter and your own family. Good for you for following your instincts.

The reason they have to advertise that they are a family oriented church is because they are the exact opposite. Actions speak louder than words.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 24, 2017 12:03AM

Wow, very glad to hear it. That was a close call.

Posted by: exmo anon ( )
Date: January 24, 2017 12:14AM

<sniffle> I love happy endings.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.