Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 24, 2017 12:20AM

I 'vividly' remember a quote ... I think in a SWK book... dissing the choice to buy/have a "picture window"...

as if having one was ostentatious / materialistic / unnecessary / a poor priority.

Does this strike anyone else as familiar? I think it was in an early edition of MoForgiveness (other?)

I guess this question is for 'old-timers', ha ha

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 24, 2017 01:43AM

Something like

"What good is a picture window and a house with lavish decoration if there is not a mother there?"

I think it was supposed to stop mothers from working.

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: January 24, 2017 02:06AM

Looks like it's a line from "The Miracle of Forgiveness," that's actually quoting Boyd K. Packer:

"Of course it is recognized that some widows and occasionally wives with families at home must work to
support their families. But this ought not to be done where avoidable. Mothers of unmarried children
should come home and, where necessary, let standards of living and luxury reduce to a point where the
salary of the husband will suffice. The numerous luxuries are far too costly when a marriage and
children's welfare are on the scales. The point is underlined in a sermon by Elder Boyd K. Packer:
... I would go back to the home that has a mother there. I ask you ... WHAT GOOD IS A BIG PICTURE WINDOW
AND THE LAVISH APPOINTMENTS AND THE PRICELESS DECOR IN A HOME IF THERE IS NO MOTHER THERE? The mother as
a mother, not as a breadwinner, is an essential figure in this battle against immorality and wickedness. I
would also go back to the family where children were accountable and where father was the head of the
family." [emphasis added]

You can search the text of "The Miracle of Forgiveness," found here:

https://archive.org/stream/MiracleOfForgiveness/MoF_djvu.txt

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2017 03:41AM by lurking in.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: January 24, 2017 06:14AM

It's just amazing how much they hate women.

Posted by: moronie-balonie ( )
Date: January 24, 2017 11:07AM

DH and I found some old copies of the magazine that pre-dated the Ensign, and there was an article that went on and on about how having more than one vehicle per family was not a good idea. The article talked about how mother could plan her shopping trips for a time when father was home and could do the driving. Also, if mother had access to go somewhere at any time, it would encourage her to neglect her duties.

We are moving, and I have already packed these up, so I can't find the exact reference to it. The whole article really pushed major buttons for me. Also, as a side note, the magazine had paid advertisements in it. I am surprised that the money grabbing church doesn't allow that in the current Ensign/Era/Friend. Ad in Friend: "Be sure to drink your Deseret Orange drink kids! Send in 10 labels and get your secret decoder ring! (imagine the movie Christmas story...kid finally reading secret message: read your scriptures!"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.